• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty76
    258 I6
    • Jul 15, 2018

QT stick slip ?

Hi
    I'm about to open my QT and again replace the seals and gasket. Hopefully cure a leak. My rig seems to be running and driving really well but I'm having some major stick slip on slow turns. I did replace the clutch cones and have been using the crown QT sauce. If I open this case is there anything I should look at that might be causing the slip? I also replaced the chain.
    Thank!
    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
    Still not running. Soon!
  • Cliff
    350 Buick
    • Mar 30, 2002

Rusty - dealing with the same issue and thought a new chain would fix my problem. It didn't help at all (although the chain was very stretched). Can't help you with your question - but looking forward to any replies you may get.

I am currently going through the rest of the drivetrain looking for the slightest problem, just in case the problem lies elsewhere but it seems exactly like the slip-stick others and you have described on this forum. Today I am going to do a torque-bias check.
    Cliff Danley
    1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

Dump some limited slip axle differential additive into it. That should loosen it up.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

You put new brake cones from BJs in? How did the cone surfaces look on the Case Sprocket? Are they smooth?

Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Rusty76
          258 I6
          • Jul 15, 2018

Thanks for taking the time. Flint I find your QT page helpful, thanks.
          Yes I replaced my clutch cones and chain with BJ's parts.
          The old ones didn't have much metal left in the middle.
          I'm going to drop and split the case open, see what I find. I will be sure to post some pictures.

Thanks
          1976 Jeep Wagoneer
          Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
          Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Cliff
            350 Buick
            • Mar 30, 2002

FSJunkie - have you successfully used limited slip additive? I am real curious about this, since we only have one brand of gear oil for the QT. If so, a particular brand?
            Cliff Danley
            1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Cliff
              FSJunkie - have you successfully used limited slip additive? I am real curious about this, since we only have one brand of gear oil for the QT. If so, a particular brand?
              IIRC the '73 TSM (first year for the QT!) gives a recipe for Quadratrac fluid that is ND (non-detergent) 30W motor oil plus limited slip additive. Likely they dropped that from the TSM when AMC/Jeep started selling the premix QT juice. If you search, you should find some reference to this in old posts.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Rusty76
                258 I6
                • Jul 15, 2018

Thanks for the secret sauce recipe. I'm happy to report after I took the QT apart and resealed everything I have pretty much eliminated the slip stick condition. I think I had the diff bolts way too tight. Not allowing the cones to move. IF that makes any sense...
                1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                Still not running. Soon!

Comment

Working...
                X