Are these really the only 2 seals I need to repack my front wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Are these really the only 2 seals I need to repack my front wheel bearings?

I went through my service manual, getting ready to repack my front wheel bearings. I have never done this on my truck. This diagram makes it look like there are only 2 seals per side. Is that right?? I read this as 37 keeps water/dirt out of the wheel bearings. 51 keeps dirt/water out of the stub axle area. What keeps dirt/water out of the axle shaft and down to the diff or the gear oil from leaking out from the axle shaft?

Also, related, My front axle leaks fluid from where the driver tube meets the pumpkin. Is there a seal I can replace there? Should I assume this means my axle is bent? Should I just clean that up and squish some RTV in there?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

There are actually THREE seals you'll need for the front spindle, here with the factory part-numbers:

1. Inner wheel-bearing seal: J535 9703/National #471271 (#37 in your diagram)
    2. Stub-shaft flange seal: J812 7350/ National #722109 (#51 in your diagram)
    3. Spindle-bearing seal: J812 1397/National #722108 (not shown in your diagram)

In my front spindle reassembly video, you'll see the first seal installed at the 7:35 mark, and you'll see the other two seals in the 9:50-12:00 time-span.

The fluid is kept in the differential by an inner axle-seal (not shown in this diagram) that is driven into the inside of the housing.

As for that leak, that's an interference-fit supported by a plug-weld; a leak in that location could mean a distorted housing or the beginning of a bent axle.
    Last edited by Bob Barry; 05-19-2021, 02:55 PM.
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Dr. Bob with the succinct, perfect answer, yet again! I now owe you two beers/coffees/Shirley Temples.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Dug in last night.

Anyone looking to repack their bearings:

Step 1) watch Dr. Bob's video. This one:
        Originally posted by Bob Barry
        ...In my front spindle reassembly video...
        Step 2) If you have a youtube account like and subscribe to his videos.
        Step 3) Read the TSM and order two of each of these seals:
        Originally posted by Bob Barry
        1. Inner wheel-bearing seal: J535 9703/National #471271 (#37 in your diagram)
        2. Stub-shaft flange seal: J812 7350/ National #722109 (#51 in your diagram)
        3. Spindle-bearing seal: J812 1397/National #722108 (not shown in your diagram)
        In the TSM picture above (in my first post), the third seal (Spindle-bearing seal: J812 1397/National #722108) would be between 49 and 50. When I pulled off my brake rotor, the washer (#50) and the seal (not pictured) were left behind (see below). you can see the smooshed old Stub-shaft flange seal (#51) smooshed against my axle stub shaft.

Took me about 30 minutes to get everything disassembled. I am still cleaning parts (24 hours later). This job is not hard and if you stay on top of it, probably an hour per side. My bearings have not been repacked in decades so it is a nasty nasty dirty job. Bring a TON of paper towels and a large carboard mat to keep the crusties out of your driveway concrete.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
        X