• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warmblood58
    232 I6
    • Jul 27, 2022

1988 GW's ? Anomalies?

I notice on searches that there will often be everything up to 1987, and then 1988's are skipped and it continues with 89's to 1991. What is so different about '88's? I believe I saw somewhere something about Mitsubishi electrical system? Am I missing something? 88 folk please let me know, thanks!
    James

'88 GW Sterling Silver Metallic
    Previously 1987 GW
  • letank
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 03, 2002

IIRC the mitsu is for the later years... nothing wrong with the 88, same transfer case, the NP229, the only off beat was 86 with the NP228.
    Michel
    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

I have an 88 and there has never been anything odd with parts searches for anything related to mine, beyond some first-year stuff like the ASC sunroof. Same stuff used in 87, 89, etc is used in 88. No Mitsubishi stuff, so you might want to check your info sources.
      Have you perhaps partaken in the pipe of crack?
      --Rob--
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

In 1988 SJs started using the Mitsubishi starter, a relay, and a different flexplate. Same starter is used on XJs w/ 4.0

Older years used a Motorcraft style starter(w/ AMC nosecone) & a ford style solenoid.

MANY online parts are incorrectly listed as fitting/for the SJ, when in actuality they are for the XJ/ZJ.

What are you searching for?
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Very much agreeing with Tony; the aftermarket parts listings are rife with errors. It does not help that there was an XJ model called a Wagoneer in this era. Do not generalize from any aftermarket listings.

The Jeep factory parts book is your best source. These books have some errors, but they are vastly more accurate than the aftermarket listings. Read the 88J factory parts book, free to read and download at the Tom Collins site, and search for parts by the original factory part number.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• warmblood58
            232 I6
            • Jul 27, 2022

Originally posted by tgreese
            Very much agreeing with Tony; the aftermarket parts listings are rife with errors. It does not help that there was an XJ model called a Wagoneer in this era. Do not generalize from any aftermarket listings.

The Jeep factory parts book is your best source. These books have some errors, but they are vastly more accurate than the aftermarket listings. Read the 88J factory parts book, free to read and download at the Tom Collins site, and search for parts by the original factory part number.
            Thanks buddy!
            James

Previously 1987 GW

Comment

• warmblood58
              232 I6
              • Jul 27, 2022

Originally posted by tgreese

Thanks buddy!
              James

Previously 1987 GW

Comment

• Bob Barry
                Jeep Doctor
                • Apr 09, 2000

'88 was the first year for the Mitsubishi starter, and the corresponding changes that went with it.

Jeep switched from the York to the Sanden A/C compressor around April of 1988, so those parts will have to be matched by the installed system, not simply the year.

It's the last year of the physically-separate A/C and Heater Fan switches (albeit controlled by the same knob)

So there are a lot of little things, especially in the wiring that can be unique to an '88, but most of the big stuff is the same as other years.
                1987 J-20
                Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• warmblood58
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 27, 2022

Originally posted by Bob Barry
                  '88 was the first year for the Mitsubishi starter, and the corresponding changes that went with it.

Jeep switched from the York to the Sanden A/C compressor around April of 1988, so those parts will have to be matched by the installed system, not simply the year.

It's the last year of the physically-separate A/C and Heater Fan switches (albeit controlled by the same knob)

So there are a lot of little things, especially in the wiring that can be unique to an '88, but most of the big stuff is the same as other years.
                  Thanks! Makes sense
                  James

Previously 1987 GW

Comment

Working...
                  X