• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wickedwagon767
    304 AMC
    • Dec 26, 2005

Originally posted by billyrb
    ha....they all talked about change....they never said it would be NEGATIVE change
    political marketing ploys

people eat 'em up every time it seems

Comment

• wickedwagon767
      304 AMC
      • Dec 26, 2005

exceptional work on the bumper Metal Twister. I also would prefer one a bit taller ,but thats just preferance. My aim isn't so good and more metal would decrease damage elsewhere

really nice work

Comment

• Metal Twister
        350 Buick
        • Oct 20, 2008

Here in the So Cal deserts its not too brutal. I am building this for cross country adventure runs in our local deserts and didn't see the need for battering ram, More ground Clearance at the attack angle was more in my way of thinking when designing it. It was a fun relaxing build and have some ideas on a rear bumper that im anxious to get started on. I think I want it to wrap all the way to the rear of the rear fender flairs and act as a slider at the same time. Might look a little goofy until I get the semi exo cage/ roof rack tied in to it but I will post the pics and take the abuse anyway. And thanks for the props on the work, Best thing a fabricator could hear!
        Last edited by Metal Twister; 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Dan Stewart
          258 I6
          • Aug 11, 2002

Very cool. What size tube did you start out with?
          Do you have any pics on how it moutned to the truck? Looking at my mounts today, I beleive you trimmed the ends of the frame off to push the bumper closer to the grill. I am curious to see how you mounted it.

tHanks!
          Dan Stewart
          1958 Land Rover Series 1
          1991 Wrangler YJ

Comment

• Metal Twister
            350 Buick
            • Oct 20, 2008

The rig is at the shop so i will take some pics of the mounting tomorrow for ya. Charger game for now!

Comment

• Woody the Danger Wagon
              232 I6
              • Jul 29, 2009

Excellent work. I love admiring a job well done. That is something to be proud of.

Comment

• Metal Twister
                350 Buick
                • Oct 20, 2008

Originally posted by Dan Stewart
                Very cool. What size tube did you start out with?
                Do you have any pics on how it moutned to the truck? Looking at my mounts today, I beleive you trimmed the ends of the frame off to push the bumper closer to the grill. I am curious to see how you mounted it.

tHanks!
                I just removed the original bumper mounts and bolted this up flush on the cross member with 3 0 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

And here is a pic of the side just being held on with one bolt at the time of the pic.
                Last edited by Metal Twister; 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Dan Stewart
                  258 I6
                  • Aug 11, 2002

Very nice. I may have t mimic your design I have a 4x4 peice of tubing i may use.
                  Dan Stewart
                  1958 Land Rover Series 1
                  1991 Wrangler YJ

Comment

• Metal Twister
                    350 Buick
                    • Oct 20, 2008

Have at and post up the pics when you get urdone. I started with a 4 x 6" piece.

Comment

• Metal Twister
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 20, 2008

Originally posted by billyrb
                      that's basically our Cliffhanger bumper series with a few minor differences
                      This got me thinking... Hope you didnt think I copied you? If the similarities are that close its is totally by accident. Sorry about that.

Comment

• Metal Twister
                        350 Buick
                        • Oct 20, 2008

Side by side I think they are different enough, dont you?
                        Last edited by Metal Twister; 10-05-2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• coyote220
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 17, 2009

Metal Twister,

I prefer your more compact version. Just my preference. I'll start saving my $$!!

Comment

• Metal Twister
                            350 Buick
                            • Oct 20, 2008

LOL, Everyone is different with different tastes, thank God!
                            You will have to save up and buy the cliff hanger and make it narrower... Im not in that business.

Comment

VERY nice work! i initially thought it would be too small, but now its finished i really like the look. nice and compact to keep it from plowing on the rocks. nice job.

Al
                              79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                              99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                              07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Artisan
                                327 Rambler
                                • Dec 17, 2008

The 1 st pic below is what has me currently doing AutoCAD Donuts...
                                Obviously you have holes drilled in the support plates for something and
                                it must be something other than that particular year frame I would assume since there are no bolts in them. No matter...You did this...

The connection to the frame w/o using the weak OE bumper brackets is what I have been chewin' on. I am "attempting" to draw the front portion of the frame on my 79' J10 so when I do go to make a bumper I can easily draw these supports and have them cut via water jet. It is a b1tch... Here is what I have so far, I can "Plot" this 1:1 and then cut it out with sizzors and use a leather punch to punch the 3- .5" holes in the triangular pattern, insert bolts thru the frame then slip the paper cutout over the 3 bolts. SO I am taking the 1:1 cutout paper and lay it against the frame and much of this is DAM CLOSE, it is a work in progress, the 3 triangular holes I have nailed. I need to figure out how to measure back to the 2 threaded bolt holes that are OE on the frame L and R, then dim them X and Y in relation to the front 3- .5 holes and then connect the dots so to speak so I end up w/ 5 bolts holding EACH side ( Plus other things like a support between the triangular holes at the very front) It is HARD...

Regards,
                                Artisan
                                1979 Jeep J-10 (Soon to be J-30)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Comment

Working...
                                X