• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dome
    304 AMC
    • Apr 06, 2000

Fire Extinguishers

These things are always a good idea to have in a vehicle, and a must for 4 wheelers in my opinion. I have read many threads on this very board of FSJ's going up in flames for different reasons.

Adding a fire extinguisher is quick, easy, and inexpensive. I bought a small sized (car/kitches sized works fine) extinguisher made by Kiddie, I believe, from a local Home Depo (if you don't have these in your area, check any home repair store). The thing cost less than $25 and came with a little plastic holder/mounting bracket. It has screw holes in the back , a bracket that grips the neck of the extinguisher, and a strap that goes around it, so that it is totally secure in a vehicle (in case of roll-over or something). I simply mounted in on the floor inbetween my drivers seat and the drivers side door by drilling into the floor. But be carefull, there is a wiring harness that runs though there! I found that out the hard way

Other places I have seen these mounted is behind hte back seat on the area between the back side windows and the passenger windows, and on the transmission hump in front of the center console.

All in all these things are cheap and easy to install in an out of the way location. Car/kitchen sized extinguishers are pretty small, so they will stop a small fire before it gets big, but if the whole truck is in flames.... run [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you have an old truck with cluged up wiring (like me) or if you are a regular 4wheeler, these are a must and should be considerd just as important as carrying a tow-strap, tools, or a spare tire!
    83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
    360, TF727, NP228
    SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker
  • PhilSine
    304 AMC
    • May 25, 2002

I knew I was missing something......

The spare tire; I don't have one. I don't get flats. They're inconvenient and I don't have time to be inconvenienced like that. LOL

I did just buy a fire extinguisher last weekend though, and was contemplating where I should mount it.

Next to the front seat sounds good, but will it be an obstruction to passengers getting in or out?

Can't do the tranny hump as that space is reserved for the center console I plan to build.

Can't do the rear side window space thing as that spot doesn't exist on mine.

Can't go in the rear storage area as that area is reserved for the speakers I plan to mount there and is too far back for convenience in an emergency anyways.

Can't mount it on back of the center console as that will just tempt kids to play with it (no matter how often I tell them not to).

Where else can you think of that is practical?
    I can neither define beauty nor obscenity but rather to state that I know them when I see them.

Comment

• porkchop
      Master of B.S.
      • Apr 17, 2000

Good point! I have mine mounted on the back of my home made console. It works great there and the kids have not touched it .

Comment

• Dome
        304 AMC
        • Apr 06, 2000

There is space between the front seat and the door, mine just fit in that spot, and since it is a small one, it is totally non-obtrusive, yet easy to get to when I start freaking out and panicing because my engine just burst into flames
        83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
        360, TF727, NP228
        SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker

Comment

• Lindel
          Perfesser of Jeepology
          • Jun 15, 2000

that would be a good place, and there's also an area under the a/c register, just to the passenger side of the hump. out of the way of feet, no one should be able to play with it.
          Jeep Grounds
          RRV Homepage
          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
          1987 Grand Wagoneer
          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
          1999 Wrangler Sport
          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• 64Trvlr
            Traveler
            • Nov 28, 2000

I have 2 in my Jeep, a 5# dry chemical and a 5# Halon. Size is important in extinguishers so buy the biggest you can afford or fit in your Jeep. Sad feeling to run out of extinguisher before you run out of fire.
            41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

• irbob
              360 AMC
              • Apr 11, 2000

Safety first right? I've got a PemAll 5lb. Dry Chemical one with a metal holder and hose. It's mounted just to the right of the trany hump. If you have a console that goes up that far you can mount it to the right or on the right side. A lot of leg room over there to spare.

Get one with a metal holder if you can. We break those plastic things at work all the time.

Those house extinguisers are about only good enough to put out a grease fire when your bacon gets outa hand. A 5lb. Kidde will discharge in 13-15 seconds. What are those kitchen ones...2-3lbs? Have to carry a six pack of those things. I've got a 5lb. Kidde hanging in my kitchen also.

Believe it or not Harbor Frieght has great prices on extinguishers.
              Bob
              83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
              83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• macguyver
                232 I6
                • Feb 05, 2001

I have a 5lb mounted right behind the driver seat just under the "flip" out window on the interior panel. I can't even count how many times I have saved the day with the extinguisher, I think the most rewarding was at the coves of a local desert lake. Picture me running up to extinguish a large engine fire while the driver and his wife unbuckle the toddler from the back seat of a CJ! Undying gratitude and they even took my address so the could send me money for a new extinguisher. (unnecessary but a nice gesture)

Don't forget the plastic top ones can't be refilled and should be used only once. The chemical will clog up the tip and make it unreliable after the first use. Metal valves can be refilled by professionals but can still be unreliable after there first use.
                just my .02!
                Chris
                If it can\'t get done from the seat of a jeep, it don\'t need to get done!<p><br />78 Cherokee Chief<br />360/TH400/QT Mile Marker Part time conversion, Warn Manual Hubs, 4\" Skyjacker Softride Suspension Lift, 3\" body lift, 3512.5R15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R\'s. Headers with dual exhaust out the back, Elctric push fans from 97 Dodge Grand Caravan on the front, Quik Air II compressor with 2.5 gallon tank. Lockrite locker in the rear, Edelbrock Performer intake and cam with Carter 625 AFB performer series carb, Cobra CB with Firestik antenna, Motor and QT have fresh rebuilds, and all the assorted toys for disappearing in the back-country (spare PS Pump, starter, alt., water pump, fuel pump, etc...)

Comment

• shadowfax101
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 13, 2001

64Trvlr where did you get the halon extinguisher? I have been wanting one of them for a while due to the benifits on electronics. I have been told by several sorces that thoese are no longer for sale due to the health hazards of the fumes.

I have a 5 pound behind the drivers side back door. Right above the back seat and it does not bother passengers. Mine is polished aluminum...looks neat as well as functional
                  85 Grand Wagoneer
                  1.5\" AAL\'s
                  MSD/TFI Ignition

89 Grand Wag

Comment

• Blackjack
                    304 AMC
                    • May 15, 2001

Shadowfax, you're right Halon is no longer manufactured so if traveler has to discharge the thing he won't be able to get it recharged.
                    Stick with a dry chem or CO2 unit as big as you can carry. The department store kidde units are OK but if you don't get the fire knocked down quickly you'll be sitting there waiting for me or one of my bros to come and put it out. That is if you happen to be on/near the road.
                    Any car fire sucks.
                    GFD
                    Marc<br /><b>343 W6</b> <br /><br />You can\'t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa<br /><br />You\'re a feminist? aww isn\'t that cute........

Comment

• oldyellowwagoneer
                      350 Buick
                      • Jun 27, 2001

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PhilSine:

Can't go in the rear storage area as that area is reserved for the speakers I plan to mount there and is too far back for convenience in an emergency anyways.
                      <hr></blockquote>
                      Not to mention the fact that we can't get our rear windows down on a good day, much less when we're in a hurry
                      ?Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your *** off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.? Henry Rollins

Comment

• Millerluck
                        360 AMC
                        • Sep 08, 2000

I was going to mount mine to the floor between the drivers seat and door too. But I seen the wires going through there.(having rotted carpet has it's pluses )

So I screwed it to the left side of the drivers seat. The base to the seat is made out of sheet metal on my 88 GW. I put the seat all the way down. Then placed the mount horizontal and drilled right into it the carpeted part of the seat's sheet metal. Leaving room to to get at the power seat controls. Now it moves all around with the seat.

Later

Larry Miller

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Millerluck ]</p>
                        88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
                        4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
                        4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
                        http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

• woodybeone
                          304 AMC
                          • Sep 02, 2001

I have some old Halon units and went to pick up a new one of the Halon"CleanUnits" only to find the price went up almost $70.00.
                          Thank you enviromentalist wackos

Here are some interesting links:
                          Dry Chemical in cars

Halon, Halotron, FM200 etc..
                          Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "

Comment

• PhilSine
                            304 AMC
                            • May 25, 2002

After taking a closer look and giving it further consideration I think next to the driver's seat will be the location. As for wires, there are only 3 and those can easily be avoided.

And, as for the plastic holder.....

No big deal. When you discharge the old one & buy a new one, it comes with a new holder
                            I can neither define beauty nor obscenity but rather to state that I know them when I see them.

Comment

• irbob
                              360 AMC
                              • Apr 11, 2000

Your right it isn't a big deal and it may never break but when it does and it hasn't been discharged yet it will be floating around inside your rig until it get's used. Next to the drivers side seat is prolly the best place for it and is also a high traffic area where it will get nocked around. If you have kids or your friends have kids they will use it as a crutch to try and gain access to there new found toy and then down comes child with an extinguisher following. Just some things that I'v seen and heard about so just be ware is all...PLEASE.
                              Bob
                              83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                              83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

Working...
                              X