International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

View Poll Results: Which TBI system would you go with??
Affordable EFI (TBI system) 43 18.78%
Custom-efi (TBI system) 7 3.06%
D.I.Y (Do it yourself) 67 29.26%
Holley TBI 21 9.17%
Howell TBI 41 17.90%
Magasquirt 17 7.42%
Other 33 14.41%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:07 AM

I'm looking at the AFI as my first choice, simply because of the spark control, but what really is the advantage of the spark control? I'm replacing my edelbroch 1406, because I absolutely cannot get it tuned, nor can the shop I took it to. I'm done dealing with it, and will be installing one of these kits. My two choices are the AFI kit, and the Holly PJ kit. How bad a spot would I be in if I chose the Holly over the AFI, that does NOT include spark control.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Master Mechanic

With spark control, you get rid of the mechanical weights and vac advance in the distributor. This will give you the ability to set the advance at a certain rpm and vac setting without disturbing the rest of the spark curve.

Having spark control is the key to getting good mileage with a TBI system.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Gear Head

AFI

I got a AFI kit with distributor, runs good. 600rpm on idle, AC running. No hesitation off road, none at all, gone are TA restarts. Should have ordered a foot longer harness, to have more options where to place the computer box. Installation easy, I just got a blond moment, when installing the ignition coil wires, the coil went up in smoke, a good ignition coil is expencive...

The only thing that AFI needs to do better is the wiring labels now in paper needs to be a in better material (plastic).

After installing this kit, a DIY - junkyard install is fairly simple to do, but I would get a new wiring kit to save time and energy. Going into programming, I don't think I need to do that the AFI kit is doing what its supposed to do and its not a daily drive.

I am in the five bananas category!
Cherokee 1981 officially 1974 huh local irony
Gen 1 GM-SB 350 V8 TBI - TH400 - Klune V - Twin stick NP205 w. Nippon shifter
Dana 60 w. ARB locker, hydraulic assist + GM 14FF w. Detroit locker.4-link rear on LC80 19mm coils
Rancho 5036 Shocks 14 inch travel. 39.5x15.5x15 TSL
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Grease Monkey

Anyone mention the FAST EZ EFI system?

I dont have it but I am completely sold on it. I may put one on the GW and my Cuda. (if I could afford it) I did some research on it, lots of articles out there and they did a build with a system on HP TV last week.

The whole kit supposedly everything you need is $2K and Jegs/Summit carry them.

My vote

http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp
Old 07-15-2010, 02:38 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfish
Anyone mention the FAST EZ EFI system?

I dont have it but I am completely sold on it. I may put one on the GW and my Cuda. (if I could afford it) I did some research on it, lots of articles out there and they did a build with a system on HP TV last week.

The whole kit supposedly everything you need is $2K and Jegs/Summit carry them.

My vote

http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp

Welcome Greenfish!!! It is good to see another Maryland member out there. (Starting to be quite a few of us now!)

On a note related to this thread, It seems that Custom-efis isn't around anymore. I tried checking the site and it isn't up anymore. Perhaps they took a break or are re-organizing or maybe just word of mouth or phone sales only. (For those who might be interested in that kit of course)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Aftermarket ECU

Been a while since i posted, just some FYI Haltech has a replacment for the GM tbi ECU that is fully programmable, here is a link

http://www2.haltech.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&It emid=17

They also have a unit that will run 4 ( high impedence) injectors and has 4 ignition outputs, so you could do wasted spark on an 8 cylinder. It sells for less than $1,000.

http://www2.haltech.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120&I temid=88

A third option if you only want to control spark is the Megjolt Jr.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/Main_Page

Less than $200, but you will need to hunt down some parts in the junkyard.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:11 PM

And if you want a pretty good free efi education, take a long look at sdsefi.com. I'm not necessarily a fan of their system - it works just fine, but it's not laptop compatible or data loggable, last time I looked.

I'm a MegaSquirt guy these days. Can't beat the features vs. price, and you can get assembled systems cheap...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I"ll throw in my two cents here. I've build several rigs with various FI technology. DIY, Holley and AFI. All of them did their job, but I was never able to get them dialed in perfectly.

I'm currently running a holley truck avenger carb on my truggy and LOVE it. It starts really well (even in extreme cold) and has NEVER even thought about stumbling on steep inclines. I rolled the truggy a few weeks ago and it started and ran perfect while the truck was on it's side. In fact, the Holley TA will run perfect on angles that starve an AMC 360 of oil....

The Holley carb is getting 11 mph on a fresh 360 and 42's (5.38 gears), has no electronics to worry about and is amazing easy to tune.

Oh and I bought it used for $150 I can't see how any 'cheap' EFI would ever be 'better' than my Holley TA.

PS - I work on computers for a living so it's not like I'm 'against' electronics.

Edit - Fast forward a couple of years and I finally bit the bullet, got the moates, read the BP faq's and I'm now converting my third AMC V8 to a junkyard setup. Yes, a carb can run great, but TBI really is better.

Last edited by Blake : 08-11-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

edit - see above

Last edited by Blake : 08-11-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdblake
But then again, I actually wheel my truggy every weekend, drive it work, go get groceries, etc.

Those with EFI always seem to be messing with it. I just drive mine

But we're messing with it WHILE we're driving.

When I had my 2150 carb, it usually never gave me problems except for the usual vapor locking which is not the carb's fault, really.

It's just like the auto vs. manual transmission debate. Different strokes for different folks.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy

It's just like the auto vs. manual transmission debate. Different strokes for different folks.

Ya, so true.

I'd still rather wheel than wrench
Old 06-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Edelbrock EFI

I've got the Edelbrock EFI system and after finally getting the correct chip for the AMC 360 the engine was running great. I'm in the process of adding a performance cam and will need to tune afterwards. I've been very happy with it, save the wildly inconvienent placement of the ECU inside the dash. This requires removing the lower half of the dash to swap chips which really shouldn't have happened in the first place but the PO had the wrong one in there.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Grease Monkey

Depends

For a bolt on with a stock cam Howell is by far the best. Comparing price and hassel nothing comes close. That said if You have a mild or bigger cam You need tuning capabilitys beyond what a typical bolt on setup can do. I have heard nothing but raves about the flexibility of Mega squirt but it is not for the casual bolt on mechanic. I'm waiting for the money fairy to land on My doorstep so that I can play with Mega squirt. Unfortunatly My children are addicted to food and clothing so it will have to wait.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare
Old 07-04-2011, 11:32 AM

still lovin howell

about 2300 miles since the install, I've added a quart of oil due to the leak at the oil filter adapter (stock), going to take care of that soon....as for the Howell; no problems, no complaints, no tuning, rarely open the hood. THANKS HOWELL, I LOVE YOU GUYS! My wife loves ripping on the newer pickups around town. She leaves em sitting at the light, lets up at the speed limit and watches as they fly by all pssd off!

99 Suburban 4x4 (wife's DD) 3" lift, dyna pro m/t's
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Dragin Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizejeepfreak
about 2300 miles since the install, I've added a quart of oil due to the leak at the oil filter adapter (stock), going to take care of that soon....as for the Howell; no problems, no complaints, no tuning, rarely open the hood. THANKS HOWELL, I LOVE YOU GUYS! My wife loves ripping on the newer pickups around town. She leaves em sitting at the light, lets up at the speed limit and watches as they fly by all pssd off!

LOL, my wife exploded the t-case in hers and she was almost unbearable for the 3 days it took me to get it swapped.

Congratulations.

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I don't post in threads I don't know much about any more, not because I want to seem smart, but because ten years around here as taught me not to open my fingertips and come across as a jackwagon.

I don't know hardly anything about fuel injection except R&R pieces parts. That, and that I never got more than 14mpg in any of my FSJs but that I get 18 in my TBI 88 Suburban. I've spent the last four hours saying "uh-hm" to my wife and kids whenever it sounds like they're talking to me as I click on the links in this thread. Awesome info!

Mucho props to all that contributed! I'm almost starting to think I know enough about computers to try it!
What's been did:
Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
MSD Streetfire based TFI
Custom-hack gauge cluster
Razor swap
Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
2 knob tape deck!
3" homebuilt lift
Half a hillbilly paint job
Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaber
LOL, my wife exploded the t-case in hers and she was almost unbearable for the 3 days it took me to get it swapped.

Congratulations.

yea, ours was down for a while prior to the TBI swap, she was drivin the cherokee. I cant imagine how unbearable she'd be now after having the wag back (without spitting and sputtering) for a while. She LOVES her truck with the TBI! No more tweaking, leaking, vapor locking...just driving. And again, thanks to FSJGuy, jaber, ristow and all the others who take time to let the rest of us know when we're going astray.....

99 Suburban 4x4 (wife's DD) 3" lift, dyna pro m/t's
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 PM

I have the opportunity to hijack a tbi from a chevy p/u w/ a 350. A doner truck. There are plenty of threads here that say do it, and just as many that say stick w/ a carb. I do not wheel too much and my rig is a DD. Naturally I am looking for a bit more power...currently running a stock 360... but I want to try to get my MPG to look a little less dismal. Any thoughts?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 PM

You should be able to put that OEM system on your truck with very little modification. Check out the Binder Planet forums. The TBI moderator over there, Bill, is very good at running stock systems on other engines. Since there's not much difference in displacement, you should have a decent running truck fairly quickly.

You said this is your DD. I hope you have another vehicle, as the conversion can often take more than a weekend, especially if you've never done one before.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Thanks.... sorry about the hijack...love this site.
Closed Thread