International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Gear Head

thank you i'll check that seem out also while im at it. that cowl leak was like a faucet into my cab when i t rained. we are talking inches of water in the cab not just damp floors

the previous owner of mine welded new plates in the floor over the top of the old floor. some day i hope to cut them out and proper stamped plates welded in from underneith and up top to clean up the 1/8 plate welded over the top of the old rusty stuff that is still flaking away from the underside but for now ..... $$$$ is tied up in the 4bta

cummins 4bt Service manuals
http://www.shoumatoffmedia.com/4BT_manuals/

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Last edited by dusty : 12-21-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Grease Monkey

that is gonna be sick. you should buy up all the fsjs you can mod em all and sell them to us!
3) SOLD: 1989 Jeep, Grand Wagoneer "Wagonmaster" 360 ci 727 TF, Np 208, 4" lift.
4) 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 2wd
pics:www.flickr.com/photos/31358907@N02/sets/72157612509481422/
Old 12-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Grease Monkey

Very cool swap, nicely done!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Gear Head

little behind this weekend. had inventory thursday thru sunday and things are so slow its hard to justify paying someone hourly wages when you can do the job yourself

This part isnt supper clean, actually its probablty pretty booty fabbed but its somewhere no one could see it so i figure the more the better

well i hope i didnt make a mistake in doing what i did but instead of body filler i used 2 part epoxy instead of body seam sealer. heres the link to it if you want to give me some feed back http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalo...set/index.html i used the SET PAC EZ
the originaly body sealer had created a cavity that water had slipped into and then the cowl had flexed a little and pulled away fromt he body sealer so i fiigured epoxy that can hold steel achors or steel plates together should be a possible solution to filling the void and bonding the plates back together

Access hole so i could weld up things a little

the view from inside the cowl. nothings a hole saw can't give you access to

it was full of crapola and then somebody at the factory squirted a bunch of body filler in the drain hole???? i chizeled that out i figure the bigger teh hole the more crap that wont stay in my cowl

im just going to silicon and glue a Galv plate over that area so if i ever need to get back in its an option

the epoxy applied to the inside and squirted into the crack

looking down the cowl on top

looking up at the old cowl to side panel seem where that rust hole was you can see i piled it on thick over my welds yeah its a whole lot too much goop but i couldnt get a good squeeze on it so i just applied a crap load smeered it around best i could and figured that would divert the water pretty well and hope that keeps any water from ever getting anywhere close to those seems where it peeled apart and leaked so bad EVER again

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Last edited by dusty : 12-09-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Gear Head

back to buying parts.

ordered up the radiator today. unfortunately my stock FSJ radiator had a cracked tank.

New radiator: summit part number BCI-35002
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BCI%2D35002&N=700 +115&autoview=sku

water necks are in the right spot. they are a little small but i think i can size things down fairly easily.

let you know how it goes once it gets here

Used a std 1/8" flare "T" to accomodate the two 1/8" or 3/16" return lines and funneled them together into a 1/4" x 6" piece of copper tube that i plan to slide a rubber hose over for the return line. supply line will mostlikely be 3/8"

All PS hoses are hooked up. bolts are tightened and wiring is for the most part as complete as i can get it right now.

my focus this weekend will be the hydraulic clutch assembly. gotta hit up the wrecking yard for a ford F series 80-91 Master cylinder and line. then i'll buy a dodge diesel 94-97 slave cylinder new from Napa since i dont see any wrecked dodge diesels in the wrecking yards. IRRC the dodge ratio is 7/8" on the master and 1" on the slave the ford master is 7/8" so i can pop the roll pin out on the ford line at the ford slave and thenreuse teh ford line and roll pin on the dodge slave since the supply line holes for bothe ford and dodge slaves are the same diameter

Bought a new intake grid heater from cummins $65 gave up on trying to find a used one. people wanted $100 for a used one. May deal with (intercooler tubing) this weekend to clean up my bugger welds. i'll get some .023 wire instead of the .035 im currently using.

Fender is back on the jeep and cowl is all resealed.

Pictures to follow when i get around to adding more useful stuff. until then its all small stuff and the pictures will look the same

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 12-11-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Gear Head

As you all can see the heater box is too close to the turbo hence the nice hole in the side of my original core box.

Solution.

Redrill all holes 5/8 - 3/4" further towards the fender. weld two washers onto the metal supprt bracket on the fiberglass core box closest to the engine. fill the old holes with silicon. notch the blowemotor box and trim the edge closest to the hood hinge...... net gain 3/4" mor eclearance which results in 1-1/2 inches between the turbo and the heater box. plenty of room. then take the resistor cut the fiberglass heater box to that you can slide the resistor 2.5-3" higher than it is currently. us a piece of Galvanized flashing 3"x5" $.10 at your local hardward store 4 self tapping screws cut the correct size hole for the resistor in the Galv falshing. remember to seal the shingle to the side of the fiber glass box. then use four self tappers to hold it in place now your wiring is up and away from the exhaust pipe and the turbo is far enough away from the heater box

The hydraulic clutch is pissing me off........ ive got three differend holes in the pedal already i have tried three different master cylinders. i have a giant hole in my firewall and so far the (leverage is not enough) effort required is too much to achieve the desired travel if i move the master cylinder up the pedal to achieve the correct pedal effort and elverage it results in insufficient travel.

So i am going to put off the hydraulic clutch system for awhile. Deal with all the other fun stuff for now

Radiator should show up tomorrow

What is really interesting.
my dash was stamped with Dec 13 1978, my heater was stamped with Dec 13 1978, i have found a few other items stamped with this date. appearently Dec 13 exactly 30 years ago some or all of the jeep was getting assembled. in a way kind of fitting that on Dec 13 2008 i was finding all this stuff

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 12-15-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Gear Head

Chief may go on hold here. getting a little over loaded.

moving our company. just bought a house and remodeling the house before we move in. yikes

heres the list as of tonight so i can keep myself honest: ha

found a crap load more seem leaks. need to redo all body seems around the tail gate. need to sant the new tail gate, primer and swap hardware into it..........also driverside fender needs to come off so i can caulk the crap out of it too.

throttle cable broke. dont want to spend the money right now but that needs to be done

need to build two battery trays and redo battery cables acordingly. have to come up witha spot to mount two batteries.

need to redo intercooler tubes as a result.

Need to figure out a hydraulic clutch that will work and mount better

need to get custom AC lines

Need to mount radiator.

need to paint tailgate and install all the new seals

need to adjust the doors and get them to seal

need to paint hood bar since i did razor grille

need to install some sort of a new fuel tank and fuel lines.

need to replace rear wheel cylinder.....

I am beat right now and we just got an offer accepted on a house so a move is on the horizon in 45 days........ ey chingada

I have officially decided that the term "Pandoras Box" should be re-dubbed with "Jeeped"

instead saying i feel like i am f%@##d we could instead say i am Jeeped. its a universal saying that can be applied to so many situations.

I may have to call in reinforcements here soon i keep trying to do it myself but i jsut dont have the time like i used to for these stupid swap projects

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 12-19-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Hang in there, it is a longer road than any of us give it credit. Of your list, there are only a couple than are mandatory to get it up and running.Mounting the radiator, installing a fuel tank, and replacing the throttle cable and wheel cylinder will get it moving from the sounds of it. It won't be the way you want it when its "done", but at least it will be moving, and that will breathe a lot of wind into your sails. The other stuff can be spread out over time. Heck, I started my swap nearly three years ago, and I am a far was away from "done"

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241
Old 12-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPete
Hang in there, it is a longer road than any of us give it credit. Of your list, there are only a couple than are mandatory to get it up and running.Mounting the radiator, installing a fuel tank, and replacing the throttle cable and wheel cylinder will get it moving from the sounds of it. It won't be the way you want it when its "done", but at least it will be moving, and that will breathe a lot of wind into your sails. The other stuff can be spread out over time. Heck, I started my swap nearly three years ago, and I am a far was away from "done"

Cant stop now but man everytime i do a diesel conversion i swear its the last one. if i kept it simple and just put thje motor in that would eb one thing but i always go all out at it with chagning accessories ect to suit how i want it to look.

thanks for the kick in the @ss keeping me on track

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 12-17-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Gear Head

taking an old trailquest tank i bought off here and modifying it it is 26x26x8" which translates to 23 gallons had to cut it open anyways to do some work so i am stretching the tank sides to 11.5" all said and done i am adding a little more width ect i should come out with 7800 cubic inches so around 34 gallons in a package that i can weld brackets to and bolt up to my frame fairly easily hopefully it works out. seemed like the cheapest route right now

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 AM

good to see your thread
I am also doing a 4bt swap in a 73 waggy have been working awhile now
no where near where you are in the build
keep it up need to see one finished !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Sound like a lot of work to me

On a side note, looks like my plans are changing once again. I just found a Isuzu 3.9L diesel for a steal, supposed to be a runner. Even if it needs a rebuild, it uses sleeves, so that would be a snap.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPete
Sound like a lot of work to me

On a side note, looks like my plans are changing once again. I just found a Isuzu 3.9L diesel for a steal, supposed to be a runner. Even if it needs a rebuild, it uses sleeves, so that would be a snap.

Work..... its more like S&M without the benefits. Its all about inflicting pain and misery upon yourself

do it. your gm tranny should mate up m,ost of those isuzus use a gm bell pattern

For brackets on the radiator since it is aluminium and i dont have a tig i will 2 part HD expoxy them local radiator shop said that is pretty common with the aluminium radiators.

The brackets to hole the radiator will be 1/8" thick aluminium 12" long broken into a 90* bend with a 1-3/4 lip and a 2" lip. you could probably get some 2" angle and make it work also. i may end up doing that its all up in the air. hope to finish sealing the cowl and then tighten up some stuff this weekend and get it into the exhaust shop on monday then hopefully to the AC shop Tuesday. probably will build the dual battery trays this weekend. going with a side post battery dual 800 CCa batteries. 7.5" tall by 7.5" wide and 10.75" long the height is appealing i should be able to build the second battery tray on the passenger side fender

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 12-19-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Gear Head

for a battery i used a 9AGM49

it has 1120 CA and 960 CCA close enough to 1000 CCA for me and its height is ideal for this application. i made a tray from some angle i had laying around and welded it into the jeep I know i should have boled it but i got a little ancy.
the tray is 13-7/8" x 6-7/8" a little ponding on the inner fender and i think i got it to mount up well enough

i used a 72" battery cable to get from the battery to the starter on the driverside

The lower radiator hose was a PITA so a sleeve, a little rubber cememnt and two radiator hoses married together gave me the right angles to clear the serpantine belt and still get to the water outlet on the radiator.

i used the stock dodge lower radiator hose for the 90* 2-1/4 to 2" reductiona nd angle then i got a goodyear hose part number 61559 that has an S curve cut the hose with the s curve slide a piece of tubign inside it to make it riggid then put rubber cement all on the outside of the S curved hose and slipped it into the 2" hose. tight fit let it cure and so far so good

bad angle but the serpantine belt goes straight from the alternator to the ac compressor and yes it clears the lower hose even though it doesnt entirely look like it in the picture. i currently have the non ac serp belt on since the ac compressor is not hooked up yet.

Oh yes one other thing it did drive in and out of the garage under its own power. no clutch still but put it in gear and then fire her up she moves

Pulled the driverside fender cut the hole. epoxied the crap out f every seam inside and out. siliconed the crap out of the floor vent and put it all back together.

radiator is mounted. engine has coolant in it.

Engine fires up and runs fairly well. hope to get it to the exhaust shop tomorrow or tuesday depending on weather then once its up and running i will be able to dial it in.

cleaned up the last of the wiring zip tied and loomed as much of it as i could.

still gotta get a heater core box.

as well as the above mentioned items. still have the lingering hydraulic clutch headache to battle with before i can test drive it

after fabbing up the battery tray and getting that big battery in there i am going to proceed with jsut one battery which from 1989-1993 was sufficient for dodge diesels

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 12-22-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Can you provide me with some details of your clutch parts? Since I did the GM drivetrain, I used all GM parts for the hydraulic clutch. It works pretty well with the stock Jeep clutch pedal. It is firm, no doubt, but it releases fully near the floor. I had to pull the rubber bumper on the Jeep pedal, so the pedal sits about 1" or so above the brake pedal.

The GM slave and master parts also provide a mechanical advantage. Going from memory, the master is 11/16" bore, and the slave is 13/16" bore. That gets you a 40% increase in leverage. FWIW...

Old 12-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Gear Head

Ford master cylinder from 91-96 F250/350 7/8" bore
Dodge diesel 2500/3500 1994-1998 slave cylinder 1" bore

the pin that holds the line in is universal fit for both applications so a dodge or a ford hydrailic line is all htats needed to tie the two together

your idea of removing the rubber might be just the ticket for me to get sufficient travel i haddent thought of that

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Gear Head

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Gear Head

mean while here are the pictures of the radiator

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Old 12-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Gear Head

few more angles and some from under neith so you can see how close things are clearance wise but yet how well it all fits and leave room for working on things.

final pictures with hose clamps all on means the engine is full of coolant now and is awaiting the heater box, the hydraulic clutch assembly and for me to come up with a solution to the fuel tank dilema (i am still wieghing options but am pretty set on modifying the trailquest tank)

yes that is the fan blade in that picture

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Old 01-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Gear Head

used a early all metal heater core box. mild mods to the late model heater cor to get it to fit. thought was cool i used the fiberglass blower hosuing since i already had that. no problems getting the two to match up. install looks clean.

stumbled into the heater box at pick and pull. $10 .... thought about getting the all metal interior heater ducting also but i left it there......

Throttle Cable: i used the stock throttle cable, welded a waher onto the throttle bracket that fit and intalled the pivot ball on the linkage snaps together and works fine

the under hood is pretty much wraqpped up. down to:

hydraulic clutch pieces and parts moutning and sealing it to firewall
charging the AC
installing a intake tube and air filter
fuel tank.
alternator is fighting me, might have to get it rebuilt and put an internal regulator into it

and then she could be on the road....

but i still need to seal the roof (gotta get ahold of BJ's they forgot them on my order), paint tailgate and tightening the loose nut behind the wheel. should be pretty close to a runner by then

Super busy at work we are shutting down one of our yards and moving the inventory to a facility 10 miles up the road. somehow salary you end up on the job 6-7 days a week 10-12 hours a day getting the job done. wife wasnt too thrilled when i worked christmas day so she requested i stay home on new years day.... ha i still got two hours in moving things around with the forklift and moved two more truck loads of material...... i need a day off so i can catch up on this project ........... but now we just bought a house so two weeks from now things start moving from one house to the other

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Last edited by dusty : 07-01-2011 at 09:34 AM.