• BRUTUS
    360 AMC
    • Dec 06, 2005

Square Front Driveshaft Question

So here is the background...

1410 yoke at the front differential input
    2.00" x 1/4" wall square shaft
    2.50" x 1/4" wall square shaft
    1310 CV at the transfer case (it will be upgraded when I get the new transfer case... this is only temporary)

I got my 1410 weld yoke in the mail today and it has a round hollow weld-side.

It is meant for a 3" round tube to press fit and weld the seam.

I would prefer to take the weld yoke to my mill at work and mill out a space for the 2" shaft to fit completely inside the hollow weld-yoke, MORE than this:

The other option is to butt weld the yoke to the 2.5" shaft like so:

What do you guys think?

I think the advantages to welding to the smaller tube are:
    1. mechanical connection in conjunction with welded connection
    2. with the slip of the shaft pointed at the front axle, water/gunk is less likely to get into the joint
    3. it would be hard to get the yoke perfectly centered on the 2.5" tube
    Are there any other considerations/ideas you guys have?
    "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
    Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
    Current Homepage Status: RUNNING
  • jsinajeep
    304 AMC
    • Nov 26, 2005

Do you think you can get that thing balanced enough to run on the road. If you want to do something like that then go to a farm parts store somewhere and get an yoke for the 2" square tube
    http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• NVJEEPER
      327 Rambler
      • Feb 24, 2006

putting the yoke an the smaller square is cool. maybe you could turn the square tube down a few thou. and it would slip in leaving the yoke at full stength then weld the dude up. only a thought.
      Damon
      '85 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• rockingon24_7
        232 I6
        • Mar 29, 2005

I'm with NVJEEPER mill down the small square tubing just enough to slide in and but. and not to get off the thread to far but has anyone used a tractor attachment drive shaft. They have a huge amount of slide like the square shafts and the joints can go to high angels. Are there crossover u-joints to like attach a 1410 yoke to a tractor shaft yoke? Just a thought
        1950 F1, V8-thm700 previous dd, Suzuki Bandit 600,
        Dodge Dakota, it's a gray grilled white work truck kind of truck, dd
        ------
        74 J-10, was the farm truck until I started rebuilding it
        360/727/np241, Holley TA, SOA/SF, 106" WB, dana44s lockers, 35"mt's, winch and still much more to come.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

Machine down the smaller tube. I know you have access to a machine like that somwhere. <g>
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• BRUTUS
            360 AMC
            • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by jsinajeep
            Do you think you can get that thing balanced enough to run on the road. If you want to do something like that then go to a farm parts store somewhere and get an yoke for the 2" square tube
            I don't need it to balance because I have a D20. So the shaft will only turn when I am offroad.

Originally posted by nvjeeper
            putting the yoke an the smaller square is cool. maybe you could turn the square tube down a few thou. and it would slip in leaving the yoke at full stength then weld the dude up. only a thought.
            I can put the smaller shaft on the lathe and turn it down.. but then I lose the mechanical connection that I would have if I hog out a square hole... it is just a tube within a tube again. If the welds were ever to break.. it would just spin inside. The other part is that if you look at the first picture the weld yoke has a tapered inside, so I would have to match the taper when I mill the small tube. For a machinist.. that would be pretty easy... I haven't touched a lathe in 5 years

I don't think it will take much of the strength out of the weld yoke because the tube already starts to slip inside, maybe 0.050" before it stops. So the outer thickness ~3/16" (or 1/4") would still be intact around the whole joint.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.
            Last edited by BRUTUS; 10-30-2006, 10:28 PM.
            "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL

Comment

• Brad W.
              360 AMC
              • Jan 09, 2003

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
              Machine down the smaller tube. I know you have access to a machine like that somwhere. <g>
              yeah, it's called an angle grinder, lol.
              Brad W.
              1979 wag "Nightmare"
              **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
              **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
              24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
              4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
              Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• Brad W.
                360 AMC
                • Jan 09, 2003

seriously though, i'd just mill the yoke and weld the living snot out of it. It's the weld that'll be important. If it comes apart it'll probably destroy the yoke no matter how you put it together.
                Brad W.
                1979 wag "Nightmare"
                **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
                **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
                24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
                4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
                Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• BRUTUS
                  360 AMC
                  • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                  You didn't notice the lathe in the background?

Comment

• Desert Beast
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 05, 2002

for my shafts im machining the weld yoke for the smaller tube. all 4 of them. then for the side w/ the 2.5" im gonna use about 4" of the smaller tube and weld it to the 2.5" w/ some plug welds also. makes it so you only have to machine the weld yokes for one size.
                    If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is.

Comment

• Herk
                      350 Buick
                      • Jun 12, 2006

I know taking it to a driveline shop would be taking the easy way out, but give it some thought. I'm pretty sure you'll have the only square driveshaft in the world; ever wonder why all the others are round? I don't want to sound like a total pessimist, nor am I trying to bash your abilities as a fabricator, but I doubt you will ultimately be happy with this setup.
                      There are 2 rules to success in life...
                      Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
                      2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

• rockjeep44
                        The Advisor
                        • Oct 15, 2001

Originally posted by Herk
                        I know taking it to a driveline shop would be taking the easy way out, but give it some thought. I'm pretty sure you'll have the only square driveshaft in the world; ever wonder why all the others are round? I don't want to sound like a total pessimist, nor am I trying to bash your abilities as a fabricator, but I doubt you will ultimately be happy with this setup.
                        I'm 100% sure you're wrong.

Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
                        There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
                        "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                          304 AMC
                          • Feb 02, 2006

BRUTUS, you rebel!

actually,
                          square shafts are pretty common on trail rigs these days.

peace
                          Dave
                          There is no way to rule innocent men.
                          The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                          Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                          One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• BRUTUS
                            360 AMC
                            • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by Desert Beast
                            for my shafts im machining the weld yoke for the smaller tube. all 4 of them. then for the side w/ the 2.5" im gonna use about 4" of the smaller tube and weld it to the 2.5" w/ some plug welds also. makes it so you only have to machine the weld yokes for one size.
                            You are machining it like I mentioned above... square hole?

I haven't taken the old CV off the front driveshaft yet but the surface area for welding looks much larger on the CV. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.

One thing I have learned to avoid on boards like this are words like "only" because there is always someone on here that can find a site to disprove your argument. My advice is if you REALLY REALLY want to use a word like "only", do a bunch of searching beforehand. Odds are that it will still get disproven but at least you have tried.
                            Last edited by BRUTUS; 10-31-2006, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Desert Beast
                              360 AMC
                              • Oct 05, 2002

I'm pretty sure you'll have the only square driveshaft in the world; ever wonder why all the others are round?
                              hahahahaha

i bet hes the only person in the world to put a dana 60 in the front of his jeep also. man, what a rebel.

jesus

Originally posted by BRUTUS
                              You are machining it like I mentioned above... square hole?
                              yup. it helps to have a friend that programs cnc machines for a living.
                              If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X