• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crisd
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 02, 2017

Advance Auto Ign Mod looks like cheap crap

Hi all,

Perhaps I'm not up to date on the latest technology but from just looking at the brand new ignition module from Advance Auto (label on box CBG1031, stamped on module TRANSPO-CN FM700-17921) it looks like cheap junk. The aluminum shell is the same but when you turn it over it isn't filled completely like the old one, it is only filled about 1/4 of the way. See pics. I don't pretend to know about the latest advances in electronic technology but this looks pretty suspect. Does anyone know why this is so and should I return it and go somewhere else for a new ignition module?

[attachment=0]Ign Mod compared.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]Adv Auto Ign Mod.jpg[/attachment]
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

pretty much any brand is inferior to oem the module.
    they're not a maintenance item, meaning ONLY replace if it's dead.
    standard motor products lx235 is probably the best made today?
    whatever brand you buy make sure it has a lifetime warranty and expect to replace it.
    A good used original module would be my preferred choice.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• crisd
      230 Tornado
      • Sep 02, 2017

new Advance Auto Ignition Module is junk

Well I decided to hook it up and it didn't start. I pulled a plug wire and connected a spark plug to it and grounded it to the block. My son turned the key as I watched... no spark. I re-connected the old module and... spark. So I'm returning the new module... its junk.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

And that is why I stated do NOT replace an existing one with a new one unless it's dead.
        Today's aftermarket electronics are right outta box or fail in short order.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• fastjeep
          232 I6
          • Nov 20, 2009

This summer had no spark conditions with mine. Tried old original boxes I had saved and would work but if had to idle in traffic would just shut off. I even had made a ignition box with a GM 4 pin HEI module but just couldn't get the heat sink to get rid of heat. Finally converted to a MSD box. Ever since then no problems

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

My son's 86 Ranger went through 4 bad modules, straight out of the box before we got one that worked. They are all garbage.

I am with babywag.
            Originally posted by babywag
            ...whatever brand you buy make sure it has a lifetime warranty and expect to replace it...
            I would keep buying modules until you get 2 that work. Put one in your glovebox and keep the receipt with it. Then when you are stranded somewhere with a dead box, you swap with your spare, and go return the turd, get a new one, verify it works, then throw it back into your glovebox and expect to do this every 2-12 months.

Also, replace the green gross connectors.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
              350 Buick
              • Feb 15, 2010

By chance did you check the wiring at the connectors to make sure they were not pinned in a different order? I have found a lot of the Chinese electrical parts wired in a different pattern, swapped around pins and they worked.

Comment

• crisd
                230 Tornado
                • Sep 02, 2017

No, I never checked the wiring, I've already returned it so I can't check now. But I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

Comment

Working...
                X