Chrome Windshield Trim...Is it required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • W O S
    232 I6
    • Jun 15, 2003

Chrome Windshield Trim...Is it required?

Hey all,
    Thanks for replying to my other post "How do you install a windshield"...in the end we ended up taking it to the glass company, which broke OUR windshield that we supplied (thats why we took it to them... ), and said we needed the new gasket, so $250 later we go to pick it up and they hadn't re-installed any of the chrome windshield trim. They simply said that it was something that was optional and didn't fit right on the new gasket...

Is it required or it is just cosmetic? I'm not dealing with the incompetents over at the glass shop. If it's required I'll put it in myself. But if it's not required, I'm just leaving it off.

This is the way my life is. Everything has an asterick next to it.

Thanks in advance!
    Randy
    W O S = World Of PooPoo

SOLD in February of 2011 for $3000. 1976 Jeep Wagoneer (most recent of MANY). 401, TH400, QuadraTrac, Widetrack axles and front clip, 4" lift, 33" BFG's, Hickey Sidewinder under bumper winch, over $8000 in reciepts, and maybe worth 1/4th of that!
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

It is purely cosmetic, and a PITA...

Most of these shops have never worked on anything that isn't glued in

It takes a great deal of patience to reinstall the stuff, and they probably just got frustrated and gave up.
    Or, they're lazy and didn't even try...
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• KaiserMan
      I got the Willys....
      • Jun 21, 2005

It's just there for the looks. No reason to run it if you don't care.
      Thomas Russell
      1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
      1971 Gladiator
      J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
      1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Tornado230
        350 Buick
        • Sep 14, 2008

The problem with the installation of the strip is the fact that during removal it is subject to minor distortion. It will need some "English" applied to it so that it will go back and stay in place.
        Like the prior post said, patience.
        It is there strictly for appearance, but it certainly looks better with it in place.
        Did the shop put any of the trim back in place?

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

I ended up having to glue the top trim peice on with black RTV. There was no other way it was going to stay. Probably because I used a 71 vintage gasket.
          Thomas Russell
          1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
          1971 Gladiator
          J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
          1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• W O S
            232 I6
            • Jun 15, 2003

Thanks all.
            The shop did not put any of the trim back on at all. I am glad to know that it is purely cosmetic, however, I do agree that it looks better WITH the trim on. I'm going to attempt to reinstall it. It makes me mad that I PAY a guy to have it done right and then they do it half-a$$ed because they either can't do it or are too lazy. I believe they just didn't want to do it.
            Thanks again!
            Randy
            W O S = World Of PooPoo

SOLD in February of 2011 for $3000. 1976 Jeep Wagoneer (most recent of MANY). 401, TH400, QuadraTrac, Widetrack axles and front clip, 4" lift, 33" BFG's, Hickey Sidewinder under bumper winch, over $8000 in reciepts, and maybe worth 1/4th of that!

Comment

• jsinajeep
              304 AMC
              • Nov 26, 2005

I have been told that some of the new gasket do not have the groove in them to mount the chrome strips
              http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• krek
                Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

For what it's worth I like them better without the stainless trim.
                SuperChief Project Thread: click

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                  • Mar 20, 2005

For $250, they should install the trim, too!!!

I took my truck back from a so-called glass shop who couldn't do it right and made them refund my money.

I took it to my body shop guy and they had it in without a problem. Including the chrome trim.

Look for a shop with employees that weren't in diapers when your the last FSJ rolled out of Toledo.
                  Ethan Brady
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• djongeward
                    304 AMC
                    • May 21, 2008

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                    For $250, they should install the trim, too!!!

I took my truck back from a so-called glass shop who couldn't do it right and made them refund my money.

I took it to my body shop guy and they had it in without a problem. Including the chrome trim.

Look for a shop with employees that weren't in diapers when your the last FSJ rolled out of Toledo.
                    ditto x2, old guys rule

I don't go to glass shops for a good price anymore. I would rather pay body shop prices.

One other thing, the waggys (that's all I know about, Jeep wise) need the gasket glued in. Run a hose with a nozzle or better yet a pressure washer at the window seals. If it leaks at all, bring it back.
                    89 Grandwagoneer, built 360, COMP cam set, port matched Edelbrock SP2P, 475 cfm Holley ORA, Thorleys, MSD6a, extra cooling and oiling.
                    76 Cherokee S Chief - rebuilt stock, Holley, Performer, MSD Dizzy.
                    89 GW parts waggy

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

The body shop I went to (Ozzies, in Loveland, CO) actually charged me LESS than the so-called glass shop that couldn't do it correctly.
                      Ethan Brady
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• djongeward
                        304 AMC
                        • May 21, 2008

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                        The body shop I went to (Ozzies, in Loveland, CO) actually charged me LESS than the so-called glass shop that couldn't do it correctly.
                        That doesn't surprise me especially if were talking about the high volume, heavily advertised, high overhead shops.
                        89 Grandwagoneer, built 360, COMP cam set, port matched Edelbrock SP2P, 475 cfm Holley ORA, Thorleys, MSD6a, extra cooling and oiling.
                        76 Cherokee S Chief - rebuilt stock, Holley, Performer, MSD Dizzy.
                        89 GW parts waggy

Comment

• frank_c
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 29, 2005

Originally posted by krek
                          For what it's worth I like them better without the stainless trim.
                          me, too. left it off the J20 after paint.
                          83 Waggy
                          87 J20
                          99 TJ
                          05 Crossfire SRT-6

Comment

• Langdon
                            327 Rambler
                            • May 06, 2000

I found the sides and bottom no problem. The top piece was a PITA, though. I ended up cutting it in half and getting another small center piece, like on the bottom. That made it do-able...
                            Langdon
                            Gone but not forgotten:
                            '79 Model 17 "Cherokee S" 360/TH400/BW1339/44,44/3.51

'80 Model 17 "Cherokee S" 305 Vortec FI/4L60E/241C/44,20/3.73

Comment

Working...
                            X