• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pireshop
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 01, 2000

Talegate window Guide tracks, Help!

I`ve bought a 82 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and it needed a back talegate window. So, I got the talegate window, but I was going to go ahead an do it right and replace all the window trim that was dry rotted. Inside my talegate on both sides of where the window goes there are two (velvet/rubber) Guide tracks about a foot long each that are dry rotted and I can`t find new ones any where. The local Jeep dealer said they don`t make them any more.
    I was wondering if there was anyone that new where I can get some new ones or a good idea how I can replace them with something else.
    Please, someone help. I fell like a geek riding around with that stupid plastic over the window hole!
    82 Cherokee Laredo <BR>Black w/Chrome rims<BR>Flowmaster Exhaust<BR>31x10.50R15 BfgoodrichT/A<BR>Holley Carb.<BR>Edelbrock cam
  • irbob
    360 AMC
    • Apr 11, 2000

I got new ones from the dealer with no prob. I'm at work now so don't have the part #'s with me. I will let you know tomorrow what they are.

------------------
    My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
    83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
    Bob
    83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
    83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Coley
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 13, 2000

I'm gonna need some of those window channels before long, too, along with every other piece of rubber in the tailgate. What would be super cool for this site would be a tailgate parts explosion, along with part #'s.

------------------
      84 GW
      360 NP229
      Daddy\'s Ice Cream Truck (4 yr old daugter named it)<br />84 GW<br />360 727 NP229<p>\"..Dooley had two daughters and a 40 gallon still..\"

Comment

• Ralph
        Third Member
        • Apr 11, 2000

After the dealer quoted me $45 apiece, I followed the advice of someone on this forum and called Specialty Jeeparts at (800) 504-5337.

They have them for $23 apiece plus shipping. I'm waiting for them to arrive TODAY and following their progress via ups.com.

Then I will finally get my tailgate reassembled, with new glass & defroster, channels, and my tailgate keyswitch working properly! Ain't this IFSJA Forum wonderful?!
        We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• Ralph
          Third Member
          • Apr 11, 2000

It's 2:51 PM EST, and they've just arrived. Part # J5465084. $23 each, plus $6.50 shipping.

I also bought new screws from my local Jeep dealer and paid $2.40 each. Ouch -- no grease!

Comment

• irbob
            360 AMC
            • Apr 11, 2000

Part #J5465084 @ $35.96 each from the local pay until your blood turns green dealer. Yea I have a bullet stuck between my teath but I needed em badly.

I to have heard of someone here re-building em some how for cheap so look around and u may find it or someone may read this thread and respond with info about it. Good luck fellow FSJeeper.

------------------
            My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
            83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
            Bob
            83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
            83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Ralph
              Third Member
              • Apr 11, 2000

On rebuilding: The metal portions could be easily fabricated, either DIY or at a sheetmetal shop. But the rubber/felt inserts were specially made for these guides, not available at NAPA or any place else as separate pieces. I looked into all this when coping with the sticker shock.

By the way, as of 5:00 AM this morning, my tailgate is completely reassembled and functional. Even the defrost element works now.

[This message has been edited by Ralph (edited July 04, 2000).]

Comment

• pireshop
                230 Tornado
                • Jul 01, 2000

Thank yall for the responce. I`m glad I found this web site. Now, maybe I can get the parts I need so I can take that plastic off the back.
                82 Cherokee Laredo <BR>Black w/Chrome rims<BR>Flowmaster Exhaust<BR>31x10.50R15 BfgoodrichT/A<BR>Holley Carb.<BR>Edelbrock cam

Comment

• msmith9155
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 26, 2000

Try these guys. Atrim.Ifound the outside window rubber that matches the original exactly! Mayne they can help. They will also try to do a match if you send them a sample. http://www.atrim.com/Page153.html

------------------
                  Greenade
                  1981 Wagoneer"The Greenade"
                  1971 J4000
                  1981 Wagoneer\"The Greenade\"<BR>1971 J4000<BR>1971 Dodge Dart Swinger <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>If FSJ\'s are outlawed, only outlaws will have FSJ\'s<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Working...
                  X