International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 04-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Noob!

1985 Jeep GW - Loud Groaning Noise?

1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Symptom:
Loud groaning noise in front-end - appears to be coming from underneath car (wheel?). It sounds like something that is supposed to be truning freezes up and then eventually releases.

There is no pattern to when it occurs - have heard it when car is cold, warmed up, on turns, on straight away, day, night, wet, dry, sppeds of 15-45mph!

Noise lasts from 10 seconds to around 60 seconds. The noise stops if I stop the vehicle otherwise it stops when it wants to. There are no other symptoms that I've noticed. There is no change in the way the car handles when I hear the noise.

However, it is getting progressively more frequent (from once a week to 2-3 times in my daily commute of 10 miles).

Recent Work Done on Vehicle:
- Had complete brake job 5 months ago
- Oil pan replaced
- Transmission fluid change

Mechanic has not heard the noise so he says he won't even guess what it is......

ANY ideas would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Roadside Mechanic

If applying brakes makes a significant difference in how the noise sounds then you may be dealing with a shoe retainer assembly that popped loose. (This can sometimes happen if the pin isn't turned right.) This will allow a shoe edge to rub against the inside of the drum--to say nothing of the loose pieces and the noise they might make....

Other than that you may be looking at a bad wheel bearing.

Or it might be that a lockout hub is trying to re-engage. If noise disappears with hubs locked in that would sinch it. (I had a most alarming intermittant clunk and groan from a bearing adjusting nut working loose and engaging with part of the hub!)

In my own experience I've had front-end (and rear, where it concerns brakes) groaning noises from all the above mentioned causes.

In your case your best bet is probably to have the people that did your brakes pull the front wheels and inspect everything.

Last edited by drlocke : 04-24-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Noob!

Hi!

Applying the brakes makes absolutely no difference in the noise. The noise does however, stop when the car finally comes to a stop.

The noise is getting progressively louder and longer. People actually stop and stare as I drive by!!

Cate
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Delightfully Incompetent

Sounds like a spindle bearing. They groan when they go out.
Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 AM
FSJ Maniac

Another vote for the inner spindle bearing. This is what they sound like. Random pattern of noise.
'69 Super Wagoneer
'75 J10
'79 Cherokee S WT
'75 Cherokee
'61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer