International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-28-2002, 01:24 PM

A while back I saw an article on the 'net about a bracket to mount dual York compressors so that you could have A/C AND onboard air! Now that I have some of the materials available, does anyone happen to have seen that article? It had detailed specifics on building the bracket and I can't find it ANYWHERE now! Thanks in advance!

Old 05-28-2002, 01:50 PM
Master Mechanic

Eric,

I saw this design from a guy named Phillip Losh. All you need to do is make a flat plate (I'm having mine made out of 1/4" steel) that is strong enough to hold both compressors. Then, both compressors mount vertically (yes there is plenty of room under the hood). The plate mounts on top of the existing mounting and is drilled with eight holes for the two compressors. I was worried about the upper radiator hose, but his pictures show that the upper hose fits right next to the compressor. I think that from there all you need is longer belts as you have good angle coming from the fan pulley and then down to the altenator, but I haven't got mine together yet to make sure. Phillip said something about his having a short tight belt in between the two compressors, but I didn't see how that would work.

I hope that helps

Phil
Old 05-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Master Mechanic

Phil,
Sounds interesting.
I guess you could make the holes for the second york "grooves" to tension the belt for second york?
But the yorks normally have the 2 pulley set up so I'm assuming you would have to lose one of the belts from the dual belts that go alt/crank/water pump/AC?
Lee
Old 05-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Master Mechanic

My thought is to just run both belts over over both compressors, I'm just worried about slippage. My other thought would be to swap the pulleys to a triple set-up so that you could run a short belt between them.

Belt order would be fan/water pump,compressor,compressor,altenator

What do you think?

Phil
Old 05-28-2002, 02:29 PM
Master Mechanic

Does any body know were to find these picks? I am very interested in this mod. I was looking at it this morning. I thought I might mount a second compressor under the power steering pump but I could not get it to set back far enough to line up the pullies though. My wife says I can't disturb my working air. an alternative would be great.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:13 PM
Master Mechanic

This is the thread where I got the ideas from on off-raod.com.

on-board air thread

Unfortuneately, Photopoint went out of business, so the pics aren't available anymore. But, as soon as I get my compressors mounted and working, I will take pictures for everyone. Maybe you could e-mail him and ask.

Phil

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: Dive 30 ]</p>
Old 05-28-2002, 11:12 PM
Perfesser of Jeepology

I don't have Phillip's email address handy, but Phillip's out of town at the moment. He did post that he'd made it too Arizona, but I don't know when he'll make it back. I'll see if I can't get a response about posting his email address here, so we can all see the compressor mounting.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 05-29-2002, 12:36 AM

Cool

Dive, Lindel, thanks for the ideas! I was wondering about mounting it vertical. Seems like I saw some pictures of this mod, and nearly step by step instructions. Sure wish I had saved them now!
Old 05-29-2002, 02:29 AM
Master Mechanic

I think I found a website for Phil Losh, doesn't have a write up but does have an email address.

http://members.aol.com/lifenajeep/test.html

I think it would be pretty simple to mount both yorks upright next to each other. Not sure if the
inside york would have enough contact area for the dual pulley set up going york/york/alt/crank/water
pump. But if you can create enough tension with the alt then that sounds like the way to go.

[ May 29, 2002: Message edited by: Panther ]</p>
Old 05-29-2002, 03:03 AM
Gear Head

so, its possible to mount the two yorks on the passenger side? that would leave you room to mount a big ford alternator on the right where the egr pump used to be (assuming you can get away with tossing that) and set up your onboard welder? Now THAT would be one useful vehicle. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Mobil Air tools and a welder capable of 1/4" plate welds? heheh Guess you'd have to keep it on the qt on the trail or you'd spend all your time fixxing other people's rigs [img]smile.gif[/img] heheheh
83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper
Old 05-29-2002, 09:54 AM
Master Mechanic

Oracle,

That was my exact plan! I retained the mounting brackets for my old smog pump and am hoping to be able to mount dual batteries/dual altenators so that I have the ultimate in redundancy. I was told that the Delco alt from a '85 corvette was 120 amp, remove the regulator for the welder and externally regulate for the battery was my plan. I haven't ever worked with a Ford externally regulated, but if the mounting is close I'm sure you can make it work. The only problem is that the second altenator would be run by only one belt, but it wouldn't be in use that much. I hope I can get there before Ouray!!!

Phil
Old 05-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Gear Head

Dive 30, hmm a 120 would put out some juice at lower revs [img]smile.gif[/img] not a bad plan. I think the people that have chosen the ford unit did so because of the large case, for better cooling. I'll have to get a look at this Delco [img]smile.gif[/img]
83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper
Old 05-29-2002, 02:53 PM
Master Mechanic

Check out this link from POR on the on-board welder set-up. I really like this rig, as it gives you both 120v and welder capability. They recommend the Ford type altenator also, but I have seen a site where they tell how to remove the regulator from a Delco altenator, which seems to me to be the better option.

POR On-board Welder Tech

Phil
Old 05-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Junk Collector

Phil,

You are correct. The Delco alternator on an `85 Corvette is a 120 amp unit. You need lots of juice to run all those cooling fans. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Regards,

Kim
Old 05-30-2002, 12:28 AM
Perfesser of Jeepology

That looks like Phillip's web site. Dropped a message to him, and should have an answer this evening.

He's great about responding, and I invited him to come and join us, so he might answer questions in "person", so to speak.

BTW, his WT is a beautifully restored machine.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 05-30-2002, 04:16 AM
Master Mechanic

I started looking this Idea over last night. Standing the compresser up on end will clear hood. and from the looks of it the compresser used for the AC will have to be out board. Unless you are going to alter the hoses. Mine is working so I do not want to do that. This also helps since the inboard compresser will not have as much contact with the belt. I figure it will be used less. As soon as I find my bench top I plan to try to fab the mouting plate tonight.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:56 AM
Junk Collector

Lindel,

Did you mention to Phillip that some of us meet almost every night on IRC? It would sure help if we could ask the questions "in person" so to speak.

Regards,

Kim
Old 05-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Master Mechanic

Rockwagon,

Did you look at the position of the upper radiator hose? The pics I printed out of Phillip's set-up show the hose just barely over the corner of the inboard compressor. I think this will work. Any thoughts? I stopped by the machine shop today and they say my plate will be ready tomorrow, maybe I can mount them up this weekend and see how it comes out.

Phil
Old 05-31-2002, 05:06 AM

I am not running the smog pump, so I was thinking I could mount a second compressor under the power steering pump. First i need to get the A/c fixed before I can get away with mounting up another compressor though. For some reason anytime I fix the ac in one of my jeeps it works all winter and then summer rolls arond and I am stuck with the old 4-60 A/c [img]smile.gif[/img]

Later,

Dustin
Old 05-31-2002, 06:55 AM
Master Mechanic

Sorry I got side tracked and won't be messing with the compressor till next week. I got access too a plasma cutter for a couple of day so I have cut and planning my next several projects (like 5/16" thick replacment rocker panels ect.) I got get me one of those plasma cutters I could not days off some of my projects. Now how to slip $2500 passed the wife. (yeah right)!!!!!!!