International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-25-2001, 05:36 PM
350 Buick

This started as a non-FSJ thing, but it's developed in my mind to FSJ related, so here goes!

In getting ready to do some patch work on the '89 Reliant(PluggerMobile), I pulled the trunk carpet and vacuumed the area out better. In the well(I think where the spare is supposed to go), the corners are shot and needing repair(which is no biggie to me). Interestingly, it looks like someone had already done some patching there....but it's rotted a little more since then...their patch area is still holding a fair amount. It was a black rubbery stuff, looked like it had been puttied in. My best guess, offhand, is that it's actually "roof tar"(cement)....could it be???

If indeed, it is roofing cement(tar), hmmm...is that very good for an area like that? Being it's under the carpet(on the inside), and could possibly be swabbed on the outside(underneath), this got me to thinking "undercoating".....is it possible?!?! What would you all say to something like that? I had never given it a thought before!

OK...here's where it gets to FSJ! Since I'm thinking undercoating, I know that the '78 J10 was taken pretty good care of in its first years, but let slide by 2nd owner some(I'm #3, and trying to take care of it again!). Anyway...I was told that the original owner did an annual undercoating...."homemade" stuff....I think "creosote" and whatever was used.....anybody ever hear of such a homemade undercoating? I have to admit that the undercoating SHOWS it's worked on that truck.....though it would have helped if it had been kept up. Still, for that year, and this neck of the woods, I was amazed at what I could tell it did. Some of it is still noticable on the frame, etc......some has worn away, etc. But, still....it's impressed me at what I was told was a "homemade" undercoating. Apparently the guy "sprayed" it on...maybe with one of those yard/chemical sprayers?(or a compressor?). I don't know....but, was curious if anybody knew of homemade recipes for undercoating like that?

OK....so, the issue here is between homemade, roofing tar, etc.....well, are these worthy alternatives to commercial stuff? (Albeit, one definitely wants a CLEAN surface to apply ANY of these too...that's a given, so we'll assume that in all arguments). Any input.....go for it...that's why I asked! Thanks....

Michael

------------------
'78 J10: 258, 4 speed, longbed, topper
'76 J10: Honcho, 360, TH400/QT
'89 Plymouth Reliant(pluggermobile)
J-Pages(some of my auto pages)
unklemunky@eskie.net
Old 04-26-2001, 06:34 AM
Master Mechanic

Roofing tar is very popular as a patch around here. I've always used it and it works very good if the area is clean and dry. After a while it does dry on the outside. There is two kinds I think one is roof cement that is what you want not roof coating it is thinner. I think any homemade stuff would help I've been spraying my J20's frame in all the places I cant get to with a mix of oil and kerosene. The rest will be undercoated. My J10 was undercoated and there is absolutely no rust in the rocker panels. So undercoating deffinately works.

------------------
Greg

'81 J10
custom bumpers 4" pipe f,square tube r.
Yellow powdercoated wheels.

'77 J20
360 4BBL,400,Q-trac.
Heavy duty steel flatbed.
Currently under construction with new frame.
Old 04-26-2001, 02:50 PM
350 Buick

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PAJEEPER:
I think any homemade stuff would help I've been spraying my J20's frame in all the places I cant get to with a mix of oil and kerosene....so undercoating deffinately works.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AHHH...maybe THAT was it....."kerosene and oil"....I knew it was something rather common, but I couldn't remember if it was kerosene or creosote, or something like that....started with a "k" sound though! I was only told this by the guy who knew the first owner, and that was over a year ago, so well....don't even ask about my memory...

Anyway...thanks for the input....I do appreciate it.

------------------
Michael(UnkleMunky)
'78 J10: 258, 4 speed, longbed, topper
'76 J10: Honcho, 360, TH400/QT
'89 Plymouth Reliant(PluggerMobile)
J-Pages(some of my auto pages)
unklemunky@eskie.net
Old 04-26-2001, 06:07 PM
Jeep Idiot

Roofing tar works well and will stiffen up even tiawani fenders.
Old 04-27-2001, 06:33 AM
FSJ Maniac

We used kerosene to keep new parts from rusting at the first job I had. I held a dish soap bottel upside down filled with kerosene in front of a blast of air. Sat for hours coating buckets of parts as they came of the screw machines. Aaahh those were the days.

Thanks

Larry Miller

------------------
88GW "Mississippi"
Black,360,727,NP229
D44 F/R,3.31gears,
Tracklok F/R,
Superwinch hubs,
4" Skyjacker no blocks,
31x10.5x15BFG AT's.
TEAMRUSH UPGRADE,
MSD SUPER CONDUCTOR
wires,BLASTER TFI COIL
Thorley headers,3" exaust,Flowmaster D50
Soon to have 4v Carb and Manifold
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...=13&r es=high
More JEEP
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...593&a=10390487

Pics of custom shift knobs for sale http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...593&a=10756848