International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 AM

1 PS question, 1 eletrical question

Power steering, on cold mornings (below 32) my steering seems to freeze up in one direction, at rest when cold I can turn to the right, but to the left freezes up, even when moving I can barely steer to the left, after a couple of minutes everything is fine. I put new hoses one two years ago, changes the fluid at that time. It is a remanufactured unit that has been on there for an unknown amount of time, just got the ('89) Wagoneer two years ago.

Eletrical question, is there a main ground location under the dash for guages and such? My guages act oddly depending on temp/humidity, I just figured I should check the grounds first.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Perfesser of Jeepology

On the steering issue, it sounds like you've got some air in the system that needs to be bled out, if that's the case, it will work out with time, or you can find an empty parking lot and can do a lot of turning from lock to lock.

As far as the guages go, the easiest way to find the grounds it uses would be to pull the instrument panel out. I don't recall any specific grounds at the panel of the newer GW's but it's been a long time since I pulled one apart. And, just so you know, the 86 and later FSJs all had suspect guages anyway, very flaky on readout and accuracy.

http://oljeep.com will/should have electrical drawings that you'll need, along with vacuum diagrams.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamW
Power steering, on cold mornings (below 32) my steering seems to freeze up in one direction, at rest when cold I can turn to the right, but to the left freezes up, even when moving I can barely steer to the left, after a couple of minutes everything is fine. I put new hoses one two years ago, changes the fluid at that time. It is a remanufactured unit that has been on there for an unknown amount of time, just got the ('89) Wagoneer two years ago.

Eletrical question, is there a main ground location under the dash for guages and such? My guages act oddly depending on temp/humidity, I just figured I should check the grounds first.

Create a signature that addresses the Year, Make and Model of the Jeep, helps those whom you ask assistance of.
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper