• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnsonic
    258 I6
    • Mar 12, 2015

Minwax Wood Hardner

Saw a post on the "Any contractors on here thread" where Kaiserjeeps mentioned using minwax wood hardner to stiffen / waterproof the carboard door panels.

Have a question for anyone who's used it - do I need to worry about it bleeding all the way through the board to the vinyl? Wouldn't want to use it and find out a few years down the line it's reacting to the vinyl in some way, and don't want to test on my actual door panels. Anyway - if anyone has any insight, awesome!
    1984 GW
    Comp 260H
    Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
    Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
    Performer Intake
    Holley SA 670
    MSD 8523
    Dakota Digital custom cluster
    Serehill headlamp harness
    NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
    ...but the parts live on
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

I wanted to add what I know about using it. It is water thin. It cleans up with acetone so you can assume it will not be good to get on vinyl. I don't think you will have any issues using it. I apply it with a brush and the backer board drinks it up pretty fast. I typically put on several coats on both sides. For a door panel I would be happy with one quick pass on the back with a brush. Just that application would allow it to soak in and harden. I highly doubt it would penetrate all the way through the panel board. Unless you saturated it with multiple passes. It dries really fast and it stinks. The liquid will penetrate the board and be dry in less than 15 minutes. It dries so fast I bet it would never go all the way through with a one coat application. I would use a 2 inch brush and keep the container over your work while you spread it. Make sure to not flood it on which could allow it to get on the vinyl by running underneath. There should never be any bad reaction later on just by the nature of this product. It dries fast and clear like most any sealer.
    And I want to add that I have not applied it to a existing door panel. I have only used it on new construction firewall pads. I am confident that the panel board I use is very similar to the panel board on door panels.
    When I tackle making new door panels from scratch. I will be sealing with wood hardener first. But that would be before vinyl is glued on. Just be careful and I think you will be happy with the results.
    Please post up what you think and if anyone else has used wood hardener please chime in.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• johnsonic
      258 I6
      • Mar 12, 2015

Thanks Kaiser!

Will brush it super light.
      1984 GW
      Comp 260H
      Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
      Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
      Performer Intake
      Holley SA 670
      MSD 8523
      Dakota Digital custom cluster
      Serehill headlamp harness
      NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
      ...but the parts live on

Comment

• SOLSAKS
        304 AMC
        • Jul 25, 2016

i recently put my door panels back on my 1988 grand wagoneer.
        they only had minimal water stains.

it had been garaged most of its life.

i re painted the wagoneer and put on new rubber window seals
        ( squeegees ),....window wipes, you know,.....

and i keep it garaged.

but in case i get into a rain storm
        or for when i am washing it,....

i painted the cardboard backer of the panels
        with automotive clear coat.

looks like it bonded well, and it has got to be better than nothing.

just letting you know what i did, just in case it helps.

dave in NC
        SOLSAKS - dave
        1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
        1982 J-10 Fleetside
        1988 grand wagoneer
        2004 RUBICON jeep
        Benson, NC

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Good article on penetrating epoxies here - http://epoxyproducts.com/rot.html

I have used their Low V epoxy thinned with xylene to repair rotted wood. I expect any of these "wood hardener" products will be an epoxy thinned with a solvent. The more solvent you add, the longer the epoxy takes to set up, but the better it penetrates. I recall if you thin their epoxy about 30% with solvent, it hardens to a stiff rubber consistency.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
          X