• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepfan93
    304 AMC
    • Feb 07, 2006

My motor swap, with video

So a few weeks ago, I decided that my old 360 was toast. I have never bought a motor for myself, always other people. I did build a few but my machine shop is so backed up, it would have been 2 months before i saw my motor again so I decided to take the easy way out. I bought a reman. Now this was not an easy decision for me because I have very high expectations and have some, shall we say "control" issues. So I interviewed 3 rebuilders, Jasper, ATK and Promar engines. I gotta say asking lots of questions is one way of rooting out who to use. Jasper was more or less like, do you want the motor or not, don't worry about how we rebuild it. ATK, took an hour to talk to me, but what turned me off was the fact that they send most of the work to one of their facilities in Mexico. Plus if you just Google ATK engine problems, every board, for every type of car has reported problems. Their BBB rating is C+ with a lot of unresolved warranty issues. Promar is a builder here in New Jersey. They do sell their motors on Ebay also. I spent another another hour on the phone with them. I didn't like all of their answers, but they didn't try to BS me either. Like they reuse the rocker arms, they use steel freeze plugs, things like that. I was able to upgrade my cam to a Melling MTA-1 cam, which gave me new lifter, springs and rockers. They set the spring pressure, not just slap it all together. The one thing that stood out for me was the fact that there is ONE person who builds the motor form start to finish. Not different assembly areas like the other rebuilders. I did run into a few problems after the motor arrived and each time I called I was able to get the builder on the phone. Not just a sales rep. This is explained in the video.
    I also installed a new Transtar torque converter, procomp billet distributor, MSD street fire plug wires, aluminum radiator, twin electric fans and straightened up some wiring I've been meaning to get to. I may pop for a hi torque starter, but honestly I don;t think this is the kind of motor that would need it, All my wiring is new, and much larger than what the factory had used. I can give details if anyone wants it.
    All in all I would say I am happy with my purchase and hope to get many smiles pre gallon out of it. So what i ended up with is a .030 over 9.2:1 motor with a great RV cam. I need to finish a few odds and ends and once I'm healed up looking forward to laying down lots of locked rear stripes on the road. So enjoy the video and if anyone has any comments or questions, please feel free to post up or PM me on here.Turns out the video is too big for you tube so had to upload to photoshack, and even that edited it down so it's in 2 video's. here's the first http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...eocomplete.mp4
    And here here is the 2nd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjH6TQurBKA
    Last edited by jeepfan93; 10-02-2011, 02:03 PM.
    Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
    >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
    87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
    1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin
  • KyooMac
    258 I6
    • Oct 26, 2006

Thanks for all the leg work and sorry I couldn't watch your video because Youtube took it down

Comment

• jeepfan93
      304 AMC
      • Feb 07, 2006

Yea I'm fixing it now
      Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
      >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
      87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
      1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• Jeep Craze
        304 AMC
        • Sep 14, 2001

I too bought a Promar 360 amc engine about 7 years ago. It was an excellent engine. Even came with a new timing cover. It was a power house so I know it had more compression than before plus it had an rv cam in it. I drove it for alittle...and sold it on here the J10 it was in went with it too. can't say I heard anything back about it so I assume that was good news.
        91 GW 360/727 Black cherry metallic, maroon interior, 100% restored with some mods.
        1985 J20, Chevy 350/700r4/jeep208 3" rough country lift kit
        83 CJ8 Scrambler-Wifes Toy MERCEDES TURBO DIESEL /4spd, 4" lift, 35" tires
        2014 Polaris RZR 570- PRP Bench Seats. 3 -5 point harness,2" lift kit, roof, windshield

Comment

Working...
        X