International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 09-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Cool Saws-All Radio Install. Looks GOOD!

Okay this will be one of the very few times you will hear me brag here but I just went ahead and went for it the other day after enduring the turd of a radio the Wagoneer had in it when I got it.Aftermarket radio that looked like it was bought without knobs for 50 cents at a garage sale and installed by god knows who. One speaker worked sometimes (depended on the type of bump in the road) and the other one was totally disconnected in the passenger door.

The radio in the picture is nothing high dollar (group present from the kids one Christmas) but with the "new" Pioneer speakers I had been waiting to find a home for securly mounted in the doors and a quick disconnect speaker in the back it will go louder than I want to be in it for.

The cool part was pulling this off with a very small margin of error and actually using a Saws-all that was trying to jerk the thin marghin of steel out of place or pass through the lip over the glove box and render it useless.

Got out the pencil and eye balled it several times and went "saws alling".You Can cut more, but can't put it back, so left some good room but was perfectly even at the dash base but needed more in the scary thin glove box structure direction. Tried to file it but was pushing and distorting the strip left over the glove box and knew it would eventually snap.

Finally decided on about twenty 1/8" cuts, yes with the saws-all in that area. I then used needle nosed vise grips to hold and roll the cuts down.

I mean there is NO room left from where the stereo meets the dash edge and where the glove box firmly shuts and tightly and fully seats.

It is rare I get something right so had to tell someone

Looks REAL cool at night and has a hand held remote and a I-pod plug I muounted under the dash(can't see in pic) to boot!

1977 FSJ, Autumn Red 360 roached gas tank to match exterior!

1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1.Total basket

1960 Electra 225 convertible 401 Nailhead 445 ft lbs of torque.

1970 455 MF'in Muncie 4 speed Buick GSX rusty yet satisfying! Drive it sideways!

1986 Chevy Silverado Dads first nice truck, claimed by the woods : (

Last edited by Comancheap : 12-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Grease Monkey

Great job!!! Did you run all new wiring for the speakers or use the original?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
FSJ Maniac

I greatly prefer the stock radios (especially the older 2 knob types), but it does look clean. LOVE the blue dash!

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
-1994 Baby Grand
-2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
-1953 REO M35A2 6x6
-1955 Willys Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywagoneers_com
i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Murphy's Law Poster Child

Love the blue dash

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 AM

BlewByu (my favorite dragcar name)

Thanks guys, was a nice way to start the morning getting some compliments(don't get many of those in a family business ha ha).

Yes, I had to run new wires, now if I can just afford some carpet one day

Austin, yes I use to do all stock on anything I did but the factory one was gone and I am in the choir and I need a CD player so I can sing on the road (need all the practice I can get! ).

I did do two horizontal cuts and gently bent the factory post mounts back towards the firewall so they could be put back in place down the road for someone and it also gave good side to side support on the new radio case.

YES! I love that blue interior in the Old Blue too! Wonder how many they made with that color? I cleaned it carefully on the passenger side so far and then clear coated it due to some fading and it really made it "pop".

Okay gotta jump in my rig and jam on down the road (this "choir boy" enjoys his old rock n roll too ).

Thanks again for the kind words.

1977 FSJ, Autumn Red 360 roached gas tank to match exterior!

1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1.Total basket

1960 Electra 225 convertible 401 Nailhead 445 ft lbs of torque.

1970 455 MF'in Muncie 4 speed Buick GSX rusty yet satisfying! Drive it sideways!

1986 Chevy Silverado Dads first nice truck, claimed by the woods : (