• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skeeter74
    258 I6
    • Sep 25, 2009

Hot idle miss

I still have a miss, which I thought was the motor loading up but now think it may be lean. It only does this if the motor is fully warm and idling for an extended time, like a drive through or a long light. Coming off a 12 mile run at 65 mph will not cause the miss, it takes running around in town in stop and go traffic and I have not been able to reproduce this idling at my house.
    After 10 minutes or so of low speed running in town, I pull up to a light and for about 10 seconds it idles smooth. After that, it will start with a small irregular miss and progress to a serious miss and stumble. When the light turns, one hit of the gas and I am off and running just as pretty as you please. I intend on ridding myself of all extraneous vac and emissions lines. Any other thoughts? Maybe EGR?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tatsadasayago
    "And on the 7th day god created the Full Sized Jeep and he saw that it was good. He gave these mechanical marvels to his chosen ones and they went wheeling in style and comfort!"

80 Wagoneer Limited, 2 bbl 2150, 360, 727TF, NP219, "Moby Dick" Now with Dragonfire HEI, Contour dual fans, CS144,
  • brad_fsj10
    350 Buick
    • Nov 11, 2002

Sounds more like the carb inlet needle isn't shutting off the fuel flow when the carb bowl is full or the venturi drip. In other words, your getting flooded at low speeds. When was the last time the carb was rebuilt/opened up?

I'm betting if you pull the aircleaner and look into the carb throats when it's doing this you'll see fuel dripping from the venturi. There's a detailed post on clearing up this "drip" as well, just search for it.
    Last edited by brad_fsj10; 12-18-2009, 05:58 AM.
    Brad Smith
    79 J20
    360/NV4500
    D44/D60/3.31s
    past rigs -
    86 J10
    80 J10
    79 Chief

Comment

• Skeeter74
      258 I6
      • Sep 25, 2009

just rebuilt a month or so ago, but I will check. The hard part is getting where I can work on it while it is doing it. It seems to be home sick, as when I get home it quits.
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Tatsadasayago
      "And on the 7th day god created the Full Sized Jeep and he saw that it was good. He gave these mechanical marvels to his chosen ones and they went wheeling in style and comfort!"

80 Wagoneer Limited, 2 bbl 2150, 360, 727TF, NP219, "Moby Dick" Now with Dragonfire HEI, Contour dual fans, CS144,

Comment

Working...
      X