• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul
    350 Buick
    • Apr 12, 2000

Horsepower question

Does anyone know the horsepower of 88-91 stock GWs? Is California HP different? Thanks!

------------------

'86 GW "Warhorse"
    360 Edelbrock Perf. Pkg.
    Dana 60 rear, Trac-loc, 3.73's 32x11.5 BFG AT ko's
    '86 GW "Warhorse:" 401, T-18, dana 20, Edelbrock intake manifold, Comp X-treme 4x4 cam. Dana 60 rear, Trac-loc, 3.73s, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTR's, HEI, Rusty's 6" lift, ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA#VII, KG6KUV
  • Marc_01
    327 Rambler
    • May 10, 2000

Not possitive. But i heard it was around 230 hp.
    87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

In reality lets try 145 HP.

Other than the 1974-78 401 w/4V carb rated at 215 HP there hasn't been any FSJ motor rated over 200 HP since "before" the auto industry changed from gross HP to net HP ratings back in 1972.
      The post 71 net HP ratings are generally 25%-30% lower than the previously used gross ratings.
      -joe
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Marc_01
        327 Rambler
        • May 10, 2000

Are you serious? That just doesn't seem right. Only 145hp from a 360ci V8?
        87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc_01:
          Are you serious? That just doesn't seem right. Only 145hp from a 360ci V8? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you thought these were super power houses?
          Granted they are not on the upper scale of HP for like years but a 1989 standard 350 V8 Chev truck motor is only rated at 160 HP but puts out less torque than the 360 AMC. So it's not that far a stretch.
          The earlier 360's did have more HP than the later heavily smogged ones did. My 73 w/4v carb is rated at 195HP and w/2v carb it's rated at 175HP.
          Don't make the mistake of comparing a 60's(or any &lt;71) motor with an 80's regarding HP. The entire auto industry changed from gross to net HP in 72.

-joe
          joe

Comment

• Marc_01
            327 Rambler
            • May 10, 2000

I see. I was miss guided apparently

I wonder how much hp my 87 wag has? I have no emissions, headers, holley 600 4 bl, msd coil, k&n, eldebrock intake and air cleaner.
            87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• JERRY88GW
              232 I6
              • Jun 09, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I wonder how much hp my 87 wag has? I have no emissions, headers, holley 600 4 bl, msd coil,
              k&n, eldebrock intake and air cleaner.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say in the 200ish range. The only real way to know is if you get it dynoad. That seems kinda silly for a FSJ.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul:
                Does anyone know the horsepower of 88-91 stock GWs? Is California HP different?
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The AMC 2-bbl 360 used in the FSJ's is fundamentally the same, from '72-'91, in all matters that would affect horsepower (valves, cam, compression). Over the years, it was alternately rated at 129hp, 144hp or 175hp, despite the fact that they all made the same actual power.

Yes, the 129hp rating is just about the lowest hp/ci rating for any postwar V-8 engine. This may accurately represent rear-wheel horsepower, however.

The differences in the ratings can be accounted for, not by the addition of smog equipment (they all had EGR and AIR-pumps; the changes in evap canister and vacuum advance curves wouldn't account for the different power outputs), but rather the point and the rpm at which the power was measured.

I think the rating applied to the '87-'88 was 175hp; for some reason, the '89-'91 is usually quoted at the 144hp level (again, same identical engine).

------------------
                Bob Barry<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
                * '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/

Comment

• Brenton
                  232 I6
                  • May 01, 2000

Well help me out here. As I understand it, all of the auto manufacturers were struggling with technologies throughout the 70's and 80's. There have been a few things introduced that affect horsies. Such as the introduction of fuel injection (increase), and smog controls (decrease), Catalytic converters (decrease). I remember reading articles in the late 80's early 90's that were heralding the day that had arrived - they were getting more horses out of a fully emission controlled vehicle, than they did out of the motors in the 60's. I know that I have never followed the Torque and Horsepower ratings on vehicles since there are so many factors that affect the number - and like anything, they can be warped to say whatever you want. IE, I can bypass the drivetrain, and measure my horses right off the crankshaft, or from the back of the tranny, or off the wheels, and every number will be slightly different as power bleeds off through each step along the way. I can measure gross, or net. I can give you numbers off the four barrel model, which are nothing like what yull see off the 2.
                  Could this be affecting the difference in numbers over the years. If I say - standardized my measurement off the back wheels, I'm gonna get a different number if I change my tire size, or my gear ratio, or significantly changed my x-fer case, or transmission.
                  Mebbe I'm off my rocker here (PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong. Torque I mostly understand, but horses has been a source of confusion for me for a long time.)
                  I think you have hit it on the head though. If you change the RPM at which you measure the horsepower - you will get a different number. It's kinda part of the reason I never followed that trend. Too many factors. Just concentrate on performance mods, and eventually she won't get any more powerful, and then you can just say it has an ungodly amount of horsepower.
                  BTW - exactly how much power does a horse have anyways?

Brenton

Comment

• Marc_01
                    327 Rambler
                    • May 10, 2000

Using "horses" as a unit of messurement is odd. If i strap my GW that has around 200 HP to 200 horses. I know i would get draged around.
                    87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 03, 2000

Do ya think a one horsepower motor with the proper gearing could outpull a standard horse?? (thats a standard horse not an automatic)

------------------
                      88 Grand Wagoneer
                      D44's front\rear
                      AMC 360
                      TF 727
                      NP 229 (Funky)
                      Bone Stock (for now)
                      NO RUNNING BOARDS!
                      88 Rusting mound
                      79 Rusting mound

Comment

• Shane
                        258 I6
                        • May 04, 2000

One horse power is = lifting 33,000 lbs one foot in one minute.

------------------
                        1982 J10 Model 25
                        My Daily driver since
                        1982 J10 Model 25 Pioneer D44,258(.030"over),T5,NP208,AMC20. 1986 Grand Wagoneer D44,360-4bl,727,NP228,AMC20. 1987 Grand Wagoneer D44,360,727,NP229,D44

Comment

• Marc_01
                          327 Rambler
                          • May 10, 2000

So your telling me a top fuel dragster could pull about 99 million pounds one foot in one minute? hehe (top fuel drag cars average around 3000 hp.)

------------------
                          87 Grand Wagoneer
                          360, D44's, 229, 2.73
                          Headers
                          K&N Filter
                          Eldebrock Intake
                          Holley 600 4 bl.
                          -------------------------
                          Soon:
                          6inch suspension
                          3in. body
                          35's
                          3.73's.
                          87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• Ralph
                            Third Member
                            • Apr 11, 2000

Does anyone know at what engine speed (rpm) the horsepower and torque limits are reached for a '88 GW?
                            We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• joe
                              • Apr 28, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ralph:
                              Does anyone know at what engine speed (rpm) the horsepower and torque limits are reached for a '88 GW?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think for 1988 the tops of the curve are:
                              HP@4000 and torque@2400 rpm.

-joe
                              joe

Comment

Working...
                              X