Alternative Parts Sources (other than Dealer!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wcollier
    232 I6
    • Apr 26, 2000

Alternative Parts Sources (other than Dealer!)

I'm sure you've all picked yourselves up off the Dealership parts department floor a few times (I've got full body bruises), when they tell you something like the SCREW (operative word) that attaches the luggage rack mount to the roof is $3.80. Give me a break! I'd like to start a thread for those rebels amongst us who refuse to pay, and spend hours tracking down the low cost alternative!

Fight the Power!

------------------
    Will Collier
    Austin Four Wheelers / TMTC
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    EMT-I / KB5WRK
    Will Collier<br />1988 Grand Wagoneer \"Woodless\"<br />360 w/RV Cam(new rebuild), 727(new rebuild), NP229 (new reseal)<br />Edelbrock 1406 4bbl & Performer Manifold (no EGR), Dual Dana 44\'s (3:31)<br />MSD 6A Ignition and Blaster 2F Coil, Accel Spiral Core 8.5mm wires<br />Rough Country 3\" Spring Lift, Heckethorn Shocks & Steering Stabilizer<br />31 x 10.5 BFG AT KO\'s, 3 Core Radiator, Flowmaster, Zero Smog!<p>* KB5WRK *
  • wcollier
    232 I6
    • Apr 26, 2000

Here's a recent find.

As with virtually EVERY FSJ out there with a luggage rack (mine is an 88 JGW), the rubber WellNuts fall apart over time and need to be replaced (unless you like rain INSIDE your FSJ). No big surprise, the dealer wanted (hold on to your hats)... $3.60 PER WELLNUT!

I laughed (the guys at my dealership parts counter are getting used to that) and walked out.

The good news is I found the EXACT Well Nut replacement at ACE Hardware (I'm in Texas, but I'm pretty sure they're nationwide). This is a 1/4" WellNut. Bring a sample along with you if you can. They had the 1/4" in two lengths, you want the 5/8" (If I'm remembering correctly). The part will be stamped on the bottom "WELLNUT 1/4 S 109".

And best of all, they were .60 a piece ($3 less than the dealer! yahoo!).

------------------
    Will Collier
    Austin Four Wheelers / TMTC
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    EMT-I / KB5WRK
    Will Collier<br />1988 Grand Wagoneer \"Woodless\"<br />360 w/RV Cam(new rebuild), 727(new rebuild), NP229 (new reseal)<br />Edelbrock 1406 4bbl & Performer Manifold (no EGR), Dual Dana 44\'s (3:31)<br />MSD 6A Ignition and Blaster 2F Coil, Accel Spiral Core 8.5mm wires<br />Rough Country 3\" Spring Lift, Heckethorn Shocks & Steering Stabilizer<br />31 x 10.5 BFG AT KO\'s, 3 Core Radiator, Flowmaster, Zero Smog!<p>* KB5WRK *

Comment

• BigDaddy
      232 I6
      • Apr 09, 2000

I paid $14 each at the dealer for the plasic "Flex Track" window regulator strip for my power windows and later found that a company called HELP makes the exact same thing for $8.50. I know that Discount Auto Parts carries HELP stuff and I'm pretty sure that other big chains do too.

------------------
      BigDaddy
      '89 GW
      "Woodrow"
      BigDaddy<BR>\'89 GW<BR><A HREF=\"http://sliknot.servercentrix.com/bd/woodrow.jpg\" TARGET=_blank>\"Woodrow\"</A>

Comment

• Puslinch
        232 I6
        • Apr 22, 2000

The rubber wellnuts are available at The Home Depot for about .25 each. The HELP stuff is aamzing, does anyone have a complete HELP catalogue?
        ---------------<br />Puslinch<br />90 Grand Wagoneer<br />Holley Projection 2DI

Comment

• BigDaddy
          232 I6
          • Apr 09, 2000

I can probably get a HELP catalog at work. I'll check this evening and let you know.

------------------
          BigDaddy
          '89 GW
          "Woodrow"
          BigDaddy<BR>\'89 GW<BR><A HREF=\"http://sliknot.servercentrix.com/bd/woodrow.jpg\" TARGET=_blank>\"Woodrow\"</A>

Comment

I generally don't buy new parts if a used one will work. I get most of my FSJ parts from a local salvage yard. You can't beat the prices. I paid ten bucks for an instrument cluster and only five bucks for Ford ignition parts to upgrade my ignition. Get to know your local salvage yard owner and the savings will be great.

------------------
            DLyons
            84 Grand Wagoneer
            360 (401 someday)
            Always Under Construction

Comment

• Veepster
              350 Buick
              • May 14, 2000

speaking of well nuts......what size bolts go into the well nut for the roof rack?

Peace................BartG
              Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

• BigDaddy
                232 I6
                • Apr 09, 2000

The bolts that hold my roof rack on are Torx #20. I just took the rack off and put some silicon around it and tightened it down good because it rattled when I was idling.

------------------
                BigDaddy
                '89 GW
                "Woodrow"

Comment

Working...
                X