• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbarrett
    258 I6
    • Jun 23, 2000

big tires on stock wheels?

what is the widest tire I can put on the stock wheels on my 84 GW. The tire shop will only put what is currently on the wheel (which I know is a load of Barbara Streisand).

thanks for your help.

greg
    84 GW<br />Driveline is Ford 351/C6 combo.<br />New paint, carpet, stereo. Rhino grille, etc.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~getoverit/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>
  • Narnian
    350 Buick
    • Aug 02, 2000

Try another tire shop!

I would think you could at least put 33's pon said wheels, but they may not clear the body.

Try calling the tire rack
    1981 Cherokee Chief Laredo: 360 w/Holley Fuel Injection, Edelbrock manifold, NP219, 3.31, 33\'s, no fuzzy dice (yet)<br />1987 J20: Stock except for the gaudy red Durabak all over the exterior<br />1990 Corvette that get\'s driven anytime I don\'t need to haul a load or go offroad and the temperature is over 32F.

Comment

• MonsterMash

I have 9.50/30s on my stock rims. I've had 12/33 on similair sized rims on a Ch*vy. Of course they wouldn't fit under a stock FSJ and all the sizes I see these days for larger truck tires are X.50 for some reason. I would bet 10.5 and maybe even 11.5 would work alright on the rim if not on the vehicle. Wider tires on narrow rims cause the sidewall to bulge out somewhat and you expose the most sensitive area of the tire to damage (and rubbing in FSJs) so being a bit conservative for that reason may save you some heartache. Find anyother tiredude who will work with you.

------------------
      '84GW360--"Spinner"
      And on the eighth day God created Jeep so man would not be bored.

Comment

• scotty
        • Jun 12, 2000

the rule of thumb is that wheel width should be not more than 2 inches different than tire width.ex: 31x10.5 on an 8 inch wheel. you can put just about any tire on any wheel,if you want to,but if the rim size is alot skinnier,the tire looks pinched,and looks taller and skinnier.wide rims make the tire look fatter. there were a couple of guys in samuris in the woods one time-they both had 31x10.5 mud kings.one had them on 10 inch wheels,the other on stock 5.5 sami wheels,and they did not even look like the same tire!

i personally like the tires to be alittle pinched for off road use. the sidewall bulge helps protect the wheel alittle better,and i think helps it stay on the rim at lower pressures. the sidewalls are really pretty tough. it take a pretty good rock,or some other foreign object that shouldnt be in the woods to actually puncture the sdewall. rocks can pretty easily scruff up the outside edge of the rim,where the bead seats. ive only had a couple of sidewall damages-one where i was spinning the tires madly on an off camber hill.the left front was in a rut and spinning against a rock. after several minutes of this really idiotic behavior(really-there was burning rubber smell,and smoke everywhere-yet i kept my foot on the gas like it was made of some indestructible new space age rubber),the sidewall wore thru,and the tire blew. this was one of my earliest lessons on picking the right lines,and not to be afraid to back down from an obstacle if you dont get it the first time.

i have 38x15.5s on 10 inch wide wheels. before that i had 32x11.5s on stock 6 inch wide aluminum wheels. on my eagle i used to run 31x10.5s on 6 inch wide wheels,and currently it has 32x11.5s on 6 inch wide wheels.there is a guy in the local club that rus the same 38x15.5s as me on stock 8 inch wide blazer wheels,and they look just alittle funny.

i think anything over 11 inches wide needs to be on an 8 inch wheel.

------------------
        scott
        85 grand wagoneer
        258 with motorcraft 2bbl/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/welded amc 20
        38x15.5 gumbo mudders
        snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
        3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
        custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

possible small block chevy "test" swap in near future

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited August 12, 2000).]
        scotty
        85 grand wagoneer
        258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
        38" TSL SXs
        chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• Baker
          258 I6
          • Apr 09, 2000

IIRC, the "rule" is tire width shouldn't be more than 1.5 x wheel with (max 10.5" on a 7" wheel).

I had to argue with the guy at Sam's about 30x9.5s. He looked it up in the book and said they wouldn't fit, but I had him put one on to check, and they did.

------------------
          Baker
          '84 Grand Wagoneer "B.U.F.F" (Big Ugly Fat... um...Fellow)
          360,727,229, 44 & 20 (3.31s), 30x9.5
          If you don't know what all those numbers mean, you shouldn't be here.
          Baker<br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/jeepwreck.html\" target=\"_blank\">\'84 Grand Wag, fixer-upper.</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/nova/\" target=\"_blank\">\'71 4 door Chevy Nova</a> Must sell so I can buy my dream car!<br />Email me for details.

Comment

• Manhattan
            304 AMC
            • Jul 30, 2000

I just put 31x10.5s on my stock '88 GW wheels. Actually, the guys at Costco (Price Club) did it. No problems at all. They look stock.
            Mark

Comment

Working...
            X