distributor gear and cam gear stripped...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j20krawler
    232 I6
    • Jul 24, 2006

distributor gear and cam gear stripped...

well my j20 wouldent start so we checks everything out and it was all good, but the distributor gear was stripped BAD...

so i asked all over the place and everyone said that it has to be the cam gear so me and my father opened up the ol' AMC nightmare POS...

so we got the cam gear and whatta you know its stripped...and chipped

so my next step is to put the new distributor gear on,and the new cam gear and see if that fixes the problem... if it does start and runs correctly but strips the gear agian! then i will take the whole motor apart and put in the new cam shaft new lifters and redo bolth the cam and distributor gear. also to update the engine and help its probability of starting and running i put in a new badass orbital battery all new sparkplugs and had my distributor rebuilt, iam also installing all new seals and gaskets on the water pump in the oil pump the timimg chian cover and whatnot. but the real point to this thread is to ask you if you have ever had this problem with the gears and i want to know your opinions.
  • j20krawler
    232 I6
    • Jul 24, 2006

wow i dunno the top one is sooooo big...

Comment

• mdill
      Gone. Not Forgotten.
      • Nov 22, 2000

Pretty common, usually after swapping parts around.

Go do some reading on www.bulltear.com has the streight scoop on the issue.
      (there is more than one reason this could be happening)

Mike D.
      -----------------------------------------
      Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
      1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
      1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
      1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
      1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
      And the other stuff that gets driven
      ----------------------------------------

Comment

• bigblack'74
        304 AMC
        • Dec 05, 2000

get a new timing cover and new gear set you will good to go...very common problem...i have done several times now
        Wagoneer-less

Comment

• 82Waggy
          232 I6
          • Mar 18, 2006

Make sure the oil feed paths through the front cam journal, timing gear,fuel pump eccentric, and dizzy gear are aligned and that none of the pathways are blocked with machining flash.

The dizzy drive gear is the last thing to get fed oil through all of those parts. It is not uncommon that the timing gear or cam feed paths have machining flash blocking them or that the timing gear pathway is not machined in the right place to align with the feed hole from the cam.
          '82 Wagoneer, 727, NP208, Lockouts, Rhino - Now undergoing frame off resto
          Currently building 401 MPEFI, 9.3 CR w/KB354 Pistons, Thorley Tri-Y's, Roller Rockers, Port Matched & Polished 65cc Chamber Stock Heads.
          Also bare tub restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST Go/Mod Pak 390 - Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!!

Comment

• pb
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2003

Also, use a matched set of gears for the cam and dizzy. There can be variation(s) which will cause problems like that.
            Paul
            1975 Wagoneer DD
            360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

for more infos on that common issue, check the www.bulltear.com/forums

do a search and you will the recommendation about the oiling cast issue
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• billyrb
                BJ's Off-Road
                • Aug 15, 2001

See here:

Ok, this may not apply to all of you, but it will apply to some: I am in the process or rebuilding my 360, and I bought a new double-roller timing chain (among a bunch of other parts, some OEM, some high performance). Took it to the machine shop with other parts to have them prepare a shortblock for me. While it was there, a
                BJ's Off-Road
                [email protected]
                Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• mdill
                  Gone. Not Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2000

Originally posted by bigblack'74
                  get a new timing cover and new gear set you will good to go...very common problem...i have done several times now
                  Bad side is that all of the "replacment" parts have had issues.

New parts
                  New dizy gears that don't mesh with AMC style Cam gears, and visa versa.
                  New timmng covers machined so the Dizzy hole does not line up properly with the cam (Hence the gears don't mesh right)
                  New timming chain gears that have blocked oil holes
                  New cams that don't have the oil hole drilled right ... Oil passage not fully drilled
                  New cams with incorect bearing journal sizes ..

Check your new parts they maybe trash, or in the worse case trash your rebuilt engine.
                  The quality control seems to be in the dumper as far as aftermarket parts.

Mike D.

Comment

• j20krawler
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 24, 2006

why should i have to replace the timing cover???

Comment

• mdill
                      Gone. Not Forgotten.
                      • Nov 22, 2000

Only reason to replace the timing cover that I have seen is due to either the oil pump bore worn out or corosion in the water passages. For this I would not consider changing it out due to the issues with new ones creating more problems with the gears than solving them.

Mike D.

Comment

• shackwrrr
                        360 AMC
                        • Mar 04, 2006

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=37427 check that thread out
                        Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• J10-401
                          304 AMC
                          • Oct 01, 2005

Is all this related to a defective run of TC covers from Crown? And the Timing Chain gears that weren't drilled through for proper oiling?
                          \'84 J10 Pioneer -- Edelbrock headers, Intake. MSD 8778 Ignition. MC 4-bl carb. 1970 "319" 51-CC heads. Comp cam. 401/727 B&M truck-shifter (floor), 3.73:1 gears. 31\"x12.5\"x15 ProComp A/T tires on M/T Classic II 15x10 wheels. Rear swaybar. Bucket seat conversion & redone interior. Interior roll bar and 4-point harnesses.

Comment

• mdill
                            Gone. Not Forgotten.
                            • Nov 22, 2000

The crown covers (they are the only game as far as I know) have had reccuring issues, going back a long ways, not just one run of parts. (MC at bull tear has the most info)
                            Gear profiles, oil holes in both cams and cam gears ... have also been issues. Would be nice to drop by and AMC dealer and just pick up some parts that you know will work together, but that day has long past.
                            Check your stuff before you run it !!

Comment

• Junk Yard Genius
                              Banned
                              • Apr 18, 2006

There is a way to directly oil that set of drives on the front of the engine.
                              I've done it several times, and it solves the problem.

If I remember correctly, Parts Mike had an excellent write up on this.
                              Cost of making the kit is about $20 and solves the problem forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X