• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe J-Truck
    304 AMC
    • Oct 05, 2001

wanted: pics of FSJ steering knuckle / drag link

Hey everyone!

I no longer own my J-truck, but am researching possibly using a wide-track FSJ front axle in a '67 chevy van that I wish to convert to 4x4.

I could use pics of how the steering attaches to the axle. Please post pics of the steering knuckle and drag link/rod, or whatever it is called. I want to compare it to the van's original axle, and see if the FSJ axle will work for this conversion.

below is pics of my van's set up. Similar pics from you FSJ would be wonderful!

thank you so much

Also, can anyone confirm that 1980 was the year they switched from passenger side to driver's side front diff?
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

pics in manual

yes 80+ is driver drop.

keep in mind later axles are SUA and stock steering is not directly connected to knuckle like chevy.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Joe J-Truck
      304 AMC
      • Oct 05, 2001

Originally posted by babywag
      http://oljeep.com/gw/81_tsm/2m.pdf
      pics in manual

yes 80+ is driver drop.

keep in mind later axles are SUA and stock steering is not directly connected to knuckle like chevy.
      Thanks so much for the info. That was exactly what I needed. After studying the diagram, I can't see an easy way to adapt the van steering system to the FSJ front axle. Dang. I was wanting to do a driver's side drop differential because the van's engine & trans is offset about 1" to the passenger side and clearance is rather tight over there and it would be easier to run a passenger side drop T-case

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

Maybe a late 70's Ford.

High pinion 44, punkin's on the left. Steering arm bolts on top of the knuckle but I don't recall where the box was. Seems to me the arm wrapped around the shock and the steering moved front/back but I might be remembering my '63.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Working...
        X