• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Immortalxj
    232 I6
    • Jan 19, 2014

And so it begins.... '76 Chief

Finally got 'er home today.... after a little bit of a hiccup a few months ago. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=173863

Emptied out the back.... Man, can you fit a lot of stuff in there. The previous owner was more of a packrat than I am. My wife thought that was impossible. Everything from the extra grill forward was in the back.

Had time to vacuum out the mouse turds, and do a quick check over before taking back the UHAUL and going for supper. I was pleasently surprised at how good the interior appears.
    Back window rolled down, but not up (previous to me buying it). Some weird wiring going on. 1 of the 4 speakers work, stereo won't play CDs. It will need new floor pans, and an overflow bottle (missing/never was an overflow). No mounting holes found where one should go.
    Has anyone ever seen this sort of an A/C add-on in pic #6? I'd like to figure this part out.... I love A/C.
    Blower motor doesn't seem to be moving a lot of air. I'll have to tear into that. It's probably full of leaves and other crap.
    This is not going to be a quick build. Metal bits are probably going to be modified/customized. Lots of little rusty spots that will be time consuming, and I am NOT a body man.
    More pics tomorrow when the sun comes up.
    1976 Chief
    360 goodness
    Needs a pile of work
  • CheapJeepBrad
    232 I6
    • Jan 10, 2012

I wish my wife was that happy when I drug home a new beast. She won't even go with me. I suppose it could be worse...

Nice chief. Looks like you scored come good spares as well.

-Brad
    FSJs Owned/sold
    87 GW: Garnet/cordovan
    83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
    87 GW: Black/Cordovan
    87 GW: Silver/Cordovan
    74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Rust -Parted
    77 Cherokee Chief: Tan/Garnet
    79 Cherokee: Golden Eagle
    81 J10 Laredo: Blue/Blue

Current Jeeps

82 Cherokee Chief: blue/blue
    83 J10 Laredo: Red/Blk
    77 Cherokee Chief: Brn/Tan

Comment

• CheapJeepBrad
      232 I6
      • Jan 10, 2012

maybe your wife might like the jean jacket surrounding the intake. Heck, wash it up and scrub out the grease. Instead of stone washed, she'll have Jeep washed.
      FSJs Owned/sold
      87 GW: Garnet/cordovan
      83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
      87 GW: Black/Cordovan
      87 GW: Silver/Cordovan
      74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Rust -Parted
      77 Cherokee Chief: Tan/Garnet
      79 Cherokee: Golden Eagle
      81 J10 Laredo: Blue/Blue

Current Jeeps

82 Cherokee Chief: blue/blue
      83 J10 Laredo: Red/Blk
      77 Cherokee Chief: Brn/Tan

Comment

• Immortalxj
        232 I6
        • Jan 19, 2014

Lol!!! We'll go with that.

A little progress today. Made a catch can out of an empty pop bottle. Working so far.
        All 4 speakers are now working. The CD player still won't play CDs.... meh.
        After market tach is working, PO had it wired to the wrong side of the coil, and the wire broke.
        Engine idles at 1100.... this seems high to me.
        Removed panels to investigate the rear window that is stuck down. Can't access anything due to the glass being in the way. HELP!!!! Need some advice on this, please. Checked the up/down switch, it works.
        Pulled apart the HVAC blower motor, it runs. The cowl has tons of debris it it.
        Rubber coupler on the fuel filler leaks.... right onto the exhaust pipe.
        Aaaaand the kick in the balls.... oil dipstick tube came out with the dipstick today. From what I have read its a big PITA and bulltear is the way to go. Thoughts anyone?
        Found more rust than I wanted to.
        BJs Offroad is going to love me.
        Last edited by Immortalxj; 06-07-2015, 08:50 PM.
        1976 Chief
        360 goodness
        Needs a pile of work

Comment

• GA-JTRUCKER
          230 Tornado
          • Nov 23, 2014

Sits nice, can't wait to see the progress

Comment

• Immortalxj
            232 I6
            • Jan 19, 2014

Aha!!!

Extra clock in the pile of parts. Didn't work. Found out why......

Fried.
            1976 Chief
            360 goodness
            Needs a pile of work

Comment

Working...
            X