X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteelPonyCowboy
    232 I6
    • Sep 24, 2005

Wow, I hit the road for a few weeks and come back to a bit of drama. I have been building Jeeps since the 1970s and have more than 20 builds since then, some easy, some not so easy. I've seen a lot of good parts out there and I've seen crap.

If I had any concerns with the RockLaurence Shackle Flip Kit or the front tow bar I would not have installed them in my Jeep. Because I was the one that did the install, I got to see first hand how everything was built and everything worked together. Quite frankly, I don't see any of our concerns but I am not building this Jeep to participate in the King of the Hammers competition and I am not building it for some hard core rock crawling. This Jeep is going to see duty on average trails one would encounter in the desert southwest, the volcanic highlands and the tall pines of the north. A modern day Conestoga wagon carrying its passengers and gear across modern day forest service and BLM roads in a quest for adventure in this great outdoors.

Even if I were (planning to abuse my Jeep), I have seen plenty of set ups for Jeeps and others that people have used that scared the daylights out of me, this kit is not one of them. People have done all kinds of crazy and stupid things to lift their Jeeps to handle for the most part bigger tires. This lift is mild at best and would not in any way qualify a FSJ to be any kind of rock crawling machine.

There are plenty of things that would fail on any Jeep long before the rear lift blocks included with the kit would fail. Hell the tubing on rock buggies that support engines, suspensions and safety cages aren't made from steel as strong as the lift blocks are. Your statement that they might collapse over time makes no sense at all. The front tow bar is well attached to the Jeep and the front shackle brackets and would be much safer than using shackle tow brackets for any similar purpose. As for cutting/notching the frame rail bumper brackets, that in no way weakens the frame in any way. This rail extensions for the bumper are just that, if you would cut them off entirely, you would not compromise the frame in any way. As for the two holes you drill for access to the nuts, look at all the other holes up and down the frame and many lift kits from major manufacturer's for Jeeps and others require drilling a few holes in the frame.

I appreciate your concerns but I do not share them with you for this Overland/Expedition build of my newest FSJ.

I will however be sure to report any negative experiences that might show themselves over time with this kit or anything else I've made a part of this project, although I do not anticipate any.

As of right now, I've got several hundred miles on rocky, washboard desert trails even with some bone jarring speed just to see how things "shake out" and I've seen or experienced nothing to doubt the quality and safety of the RockLaurence shackle flip kit.

I'll be doing some updates and updated pictures over the next 30 days before I start my next long distance off-road journey.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

When I designed the FSSR it was for that group of persons that didn't have access to a welder or Fab' shop but wanted to improve their vehicles. That's why its a Bolt-On kit made with more steel and bracing than the original setup. However, if the FSSR is to be used with a large lift, abused [beat hard off road] or used for vehicle extraction [winch-point], then I'd recommend that the frame-to-bracket points be welded--in addition to the fastener mounts. I know the durability of this set up myself. I have it on my shop truck and I routinely lock my vehicle in 4WD low and DRAG salvage vehicles [w/o wheels] through the parking lot from the front hitch to get them into position to go on the trailer. The FSSR/Hitch has never come loose or flexed under these extreme conditions.
      Thanks for your support.
      [30 kits SOLD]
      Last edited by rocklaurence; 07-13-2015, 05:15 AM.

Comment

• drcom
        258 I6
        • Oct 02, 2011

Very interesting !

Originally posted by rocklaurence
        Are you referring to the shifter? I have been running the prototype in my J10 for a while now and I'm almost ready to market it. It replaces the 2WD-4WD vacuum system and under-seat flag shifter with two sticks.
        1970 Wagoneer Custom (9/1969)
        Original Arizona Jeep
        Buick 350/TH400/Dana20
        Early model with razor grill
        Spring Green exterior (original)

Custom series interior

Comment

• comet the dog
          230 Tornado
          • Oct 24, 2014

I've concidered building something similar to this for my jeep. Maybe I'll just buy this one. RockLaurence, do you offer just the front lift brackets for sale? I already have blocks and ubolts for the rear.

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
            232 I6
            • Sep 24, 2005

Originally posted by comet the dog
            I've concidered building something similar to this for my jeep. Maybe I'll just buy this one. RockLaurence, do you offer just the front lift brackets for sale? I already have blocks and ubolts for the rear.
            You'll have to check with RockLaurence on that one. He's a member here, you could send him a PM.

Comment

• comet the dog
              230 Tornado
              • Oct 24, 2014

I did.

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
                232 I6
                • Sep 24, 2005

I did.
                Oh good, for the benefit of others who might have the same question, what did he tell you?

Comment

• DieselSJ
                  304 AMC
                  • May 19, 2003

Call T&J's in Orange, CA. They perfected this many many many years ago.

barnettperformance.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, barnettperformance.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                  -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                  -99 XJ Limited.
                  -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                  -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• comet the dog
                    230 Tornado
                    • Oct 24, 2014

Originally posted by SteelPonyCowboy
                    Oh good, for the benefit of others who might have the same question, what did he tell you?
                    has yet to reply

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 24, 2005

Originally posted by DieselSJ
                      Call T&J's in Orange, CA. They perfected this many many many years ago.

http://barnettperformance.net/index....dex&cPath=5_14
                      Looks similar to the Rock Laurence kit but for more $$$ .

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 24, 2005

has yet to reply
                        Try emailing him or better yet calling him:

[email protected]

Cell 863 397 4027

I don't know how often he checks emails, I usually got answers in a few days. I'd call him if you need a quick answer.

Comment

• comet the dog
                          230 Tornado
                          • Oct 24, 2014

Originally posted by SteelPonyCowboy
                          He does. Sold the front part to me for 169.00
                          Awesome.

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 24, 2005

He does. Sold the front part to me for 169.00
                            Awesome.
                            That's great. Rock Laurence is a great guy to deal with.

Glad you got a great deal from him. You'll be happy with the quality.

Enjoy the install, pretty easy. My biggest challenge was getting those rivits out but keep on griding and be patient. The other was getting everything lined back up again on the springs and getting them bolted back up again.

Take pictures and start a thread with your build for others to see.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Post-up project pictures PLEASE

Comment

• FrozenCajunAK
                                232 I6
                                • Jul 14, 2016

Are you referring to the shifter? I have been running the prototype in my J10 for a while now and I'm almost ready to market it. It replaces the 2WD-4WD vacuum system and under-seat flag shifter with two sticks.
                                I am VERY interested in this too.

I only hope my 88 GW build goes as well as this one has. I absolutely love what has been done to this rig. GREAT WORK, SteelPonyCowboy!

Comment

Working...
                                X