SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

probably not the rear seal. if the rear oil galley plugs were not sealed they can leak out back of block.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
      350 Buick
      • Feb 15, 2010

can also be the rear seal on the intake manifold leaking down, and or valve covers, check both.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

How sure are they, it is the rear seal. Lots of other things above it could be leaking. Cam plug at back of block could be one. Are you driving the truck yet? Oil makes the seal swell, thicker than when it is first installed, you need to drive it. Where the two halves meet, a small amount of sealer is recommended.
        Mine had a little, leak at the rear main seal. Was never a drip, just wet in that area. It went away once I ran it through a few heat cycles. What about the PCV valve, is it working. Are the piston rings seated yet? Do you have to much pressure in the crankcase. Good luck.
        1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
        Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• gophman
          232 I6
          • Mar 05, 2015

Yup I have replaced the rms on my wife's waggy 3 times in place and still leaks like a mother so since this summer looks like a bust I'll pull the motor to see if it's possibly cam gallery plugs (I'd had them out to clean).
          The irony is my 360 in my pickup with a fresh build is pretty much dry and I reused the seal lol.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
            304 AMC
            • Jul 25, 2016

thanx to all who responded
            I will relay this to the shop

I will report back

dave in NC
            SOLSAKS - dave
            1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
            1982 J-10 Fleetside
            1988 grand wagoneer
            2004 RUBICON jeep
            Benson, NC

Comment

There is a vacuum pump that can be hooked up to keep the oil from coming out.
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                • Jan 09, 2011

Or they are not doing it right.

I put Permatex #2 on the outside circumference of the seal where it fits into the groove of the block and bearing cap, on both sides of the tabs on either side of the seal, and on the split ends where the two seal halves meet. I do that and I get engines that do not leak literally even a single drop of oil. The trouble is, it's very hard to do it that way with the crankshaft installed.

It can also be an oil pan gasket not done right. Pans get warped and messed up by idiot mechanics. For those I use silicone sealer where the rubber seals meet the cork gaskets.
                '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

Rear mains are typically pretty easy to keep oil tight. They used to use ropes for rear seals you know.
                  Originally posted by Hankrod
                  Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                    Shakes hands with danger
                    • Jul 01, 2012

Make sure that the PCV system is in place and functioning correctly. The rear main in my J20 leaked like a son of a gun until I replaced the PCV hose behind the carburetor. The original hose had collapsed and was allowing crankcase pressure to build up rather than vent to the intake manifold, and the crankcase pressure pushed oil out past the rear main seal.

The original formed hose is NLA, and the bends are too tight to easily make with bulk hose, so I cheated a little and used a long enough hose that it formed a big loop. That allowed it to connect at both ends without being pinched or folded on itself.
                    '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                    High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

Working...
                    X