• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ehansen007
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 23, 2019

Hello from Orange County, CA! Meet my FSJ Betsie

Hey all,

Glad to finally get on here an post some Jeep stuff. I picked up an 87 GW from a friend with the idea that I'll fix 'er up and get it running for all of us to enjoy. I took full ownership to eliminate confusion and I won't say what I paid but it was a great deal.

Almost everything works. The Fuel system is having some issues as we noticed it starving for fuel. I noticed a lot of black sediment coming out of the filter so more had to be in it and the lines, so I pulled the tank (and more than a few rusted bolts) to get see what's up. What I found was that the instructions in the Hayes manual were off a bit considering the tank shield etc but it's all out. Some rust etc on the shield but I think I'm just going to paint with the black rubber sealant for now and re-use vs buying a new one. I'm considering a full restore at some point.

While there was quite a bit of sediment in the tank it wasn't bad. I noticed the pickup screen filter had come off though. I think that allowed everything into the lines and stuffed them up. Next step is to put in a new sender/pickup, blow out the lines, and maybe replace the fuel pump and main filter? Looks like the carb was rebuilt before it the car was stowed away for 2 years thinking that was causing the stalling. But it wasn't it. May need to still clean out too. After that we'll see if we can keep her running and pass smog so I can register and drive it.

Other items on the list:

1. Carpet Kit- It's so bad right now. Just awful. LOL Waiting on stockinteriors to send me samples to match the doors. I think it's tan interior but no one just makes tan and names it....TAN! Doeskin, Caramel, what the heck

2. Trailer hitch. I've looked all over. Does anyone make a bolt on or should i just take it to have it welded on to the frame?

3. Wood paneling kit- Thought about the vinyl but I'm not repainting yet so I'm thinking about painting it on myself. I'm fairly resourceful and artistic. Anyone else done this? My paint is OK with the exception of a few rust spots and the common spot above the windshield peeling off. It looks like the are was repainted at some point. Overall the body is super straight.

4. Maybe refurb the wheels and look at some new tires and maybe lift a tad as the leaf springs are sagging a bit. The truck rides really nice though on new-ish shocks. Will blocks to lift it work okay for now until the full overhaul?

Thanks!

Last edited by ehansen007; 10-02-2019, 11:05 AM.
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Woo Hoo! Where are you in OC? My brother lives in HB, I graduated high school in Yorba Linda. My wife is from Costa Mesa. Lottsa FSJers down there!

Welcome! Step 1: trash the Haynes manual. Those things cause more problems than they fix. Then go here and download the service manual closest to your year: http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Recently, there was another member on here that had some issues with black sediment getting into their fuel system, too but it was carbon from the carbon can. Post pictures and we'll see if it is the same.

HAHA! I have that frustration, too (color names).

How much of a hurry are you in for a hitch? If you wait and watch the classifieds here, you will end up with a factory hitch for a good price. There were several over the years from AMC/Jeep. I prefer the V-Type one like on my rig but there were also a square one on the later rigs like yours. They show up fairly often for cheap. Also watch craigslist here in SoCal and they show up every once in a while. Factory hitches bolt on. Most aftermarket bolt on. I have only seen one welded on and it was a hack job.

I am no help on the wood.

Lift blocks will only work on the back. For the front you can get helper springs as a band aid to lift a little but it will compromise the ride quality. Looking at your pics, it doesn't look sagged, it looks like you have bigger than stock tires?

You have a GREAT rig to start on! Smog is not as bad as people say. Just tune it stock and you will get through. Your seats look GREAT!! Welcome to the "Association"!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• UnkleMunky
      350 Buick
      • Oct 17, 2000

I agree, it looks like a great rig to work with!

I *somewhat* disagree on the Haynes....though I completely agree on getting the factory manual if you can. The Haynes and Chiltons do have some good pics and things that you don't find in the factory manuals, but the pluses are few and far between. I have most of the manuals that pertain to my rig.....the more the merrier. Definitely go to the link Rang posted above...well worth it. You can search ebay and such for used factory manuals as well.

Woodgrain....BJ's does have a variety of options, but I am going to put my two cents in. I really don't care much for the vinyl woodgrain....and yours is already stripped, so my personal recommendation is to consider skipping new woodgrain. But your rig is clean and solid enough that it would actually look good with a nice original styling to it. Being it's your wag, you can do what you want with it....including a custom painting. Whatever you prefer.....so go with what you really want in the end.

I'm not much help on the sag/springs....have not used lift kits, so have no real experience with them.

Does the hitch over at BJ's work for your rig:

Otherwise, go with rang's suggestions there too.

Welcome. And feel free to ask questions and post your experiences....pictures are always good too....we soak 'em up like bread in a mud puddle.
      Michael (UnkleMunky)
      '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
      '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
      Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• SOLSAKS
        304 AMC
        • Jul 25, 2016

GOOD BONES
        what I can't get over
        is the condition of the leather on the front seats.

no cracks, hardly any creases, just natural lines in the leather
        and it looks like the original leather from factory.

and,...even though my rims on an 88 wagoner have the thinner "fins"
        I like the rims on yours much better,....
        more polished aluminum area to shine.

dave in NC
        SOLSAKS - dave
        1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
        1982 J-10 Fleetside
        1988 grand wagoneer
        2004 RUBICON jeep
        Benson, NC

Comment

• miracleed
          232 I6
          • Feb 19, 2019

beauty of a truck! welcome aboard. there's an episode of wheeler dealers where they paint on the wood paneling. i don't recall reading about people doing it on here but i'm sure someone has. also, with a price tag of $1500-$2000 for the trim and woodgrain vinyl kits i'm holding off until /all/ of my body work is done.

After restoring this 1988 Jeep Grand Wagonner, Mike and Ant take it out for a test drive around the Californian mountains! For more car clips from Wheeler De...
          '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• jpjeeper
            258 I6
            • Jul 26, 2007

I'm fairly local...*Inland Empire* been doing FSJ and AMC for quite a bit... restored a couple of GW's a few CJ's a few YJ's some TJ's and built a JK...

I weld, rebuild engines etc... so if you have questions... just ask...

Current project is a Gladiator J3600
            1967 J3000 Gladiator 327 Vigilante
            1972 CJ5 Renegade
            2006 Rubicon Unlimited
            2017 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock

Comment

• chubbinius
              258 I6
              • Oct 31, 2018

That's a great looking start to some fun! I agree with Dave, those front seats look to be in incredible condition!
              1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
              -Dauntless 350 V8
              -D27 front/D44 rear
              2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• ehansen007
                230 Tornado
                • Sep 23, 2019

Thanks everyone. I'm sad to say I signed up here and posted up that first post and lost the link! First time back. Major updates. I've learned so much via the Facebook chat and She's been such a fun project so far. Here's what's happened

1. After pulling the tank a couple of times and cleaning everything out, putting in a new fuel pump, it turns out it just had the short sender so I eventually got the BJs one in and problem solved there. But it's all new breather valves and air tight. We even did the smoke check! Live and learn I guess.

2. Got it smogged just fine after that amazingly but she still ran rough.

3. Pulled the carb and the base plate and gaskets were all cracked. Go that fixed and rebuilt the carb and reset the float and she ran great. Been reliable since then although she still idles a bit rough on deceleration etc but very livable. Choke works and she runs pretty clean but still have exhaust manifold leaks so she sounds like a steam train on the gas.

4. Bought the vinyl trim used from someone and spent two or three days getting the old adhesive off only to not use it to this point. I think I like the no wood look better.

5. Fixed the rear window switch and removed the safety switch as that was a real problem. Also fixed all the windows. The fronts are pretty good but the backs are still slow

6. Removed the fuseable links in the engine compartment and replace with real fused links that I can see and replace if they blow. This really helped with the electrical flow.

7. Installed new Deemer (local here in Santa Ana) springs which got the ride height nice and recently put new Bilsteins front and rear and man does she ride nice!! Love it.

8. New tires as big as I could get.

9. Pulled rear carpet and installed some fake wood flooring which looks nice.

10. New Kenwood head unit/media player with decent JBL 6" front and 6x9" backs and also a Bazooka powered sub which I wrapped with some wood vinyl wrap which is hilarious. Sounds amazing for a low powered system! Now I listen to JJ Grey, Van Morrison, and Johnny Cash all the time in high fidelity! I can also take calls via bluetooth which is awesome.

11. New wood steering wheel and custom beer tap column shifter

12. Spent close to $1k getting the AC working with new condenser, lines, etc. Works killer now.

13. New distributor after I broke the original one (long, lame story)

14. Cleaned the interior and man the stock carpet came back to life!

So now almost everything works (except cruise control) and I'd like to fix the exhaust leak soon and I should be good for a while. Just bought a new Kia Telluride which is loaded but honestly I love the Jeep more since I have so much of a relationship with her now.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

I am getting my 79 through smog now and then plan to ditch my exhaust manifolds. One one of the manifolds changed in 1980 (I do not remember which) but if you want my manifolds, you can have them. They have brand new seals at the air injection tubes and do not leak. I will be road tripping to Huntington Beach later this month and am willing to meet you to hand them over if you want them... PM me if interested.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• ehansen007
                    230 Tornado
                    • Sep 23, 2019

That would be great. Super thoughtful of you. I'll PM you my info. Thx.

Comment

• ehansen007
                      230 Tornado
                      • Sep 23, 2019

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 25, 2016

DANG O MIGHTY !!!!!
                        IT LOOKS GREAT

I love the wagoneers with the thin strip of woodgrain.

the wood floor looks great with the cargo strips !

bet it jams with that system !

as said before, that is my fav. style of wagoneer rim.

and really love your Buddy,.......is it a King Charles cavalier spaniel ?
                        ( don't know if I got the breed name right )

nothing looks more right in a wagoner than a Dog going for a ride !

great photo of the bikes in front of the awesome building too.

enjoyed the updates, very solid rig !!!!

dave in NC
                        SOLSAKS - dave
                        1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                        1982 J-10 Fleetside
                        1988 grand wagoneer
                        2004 RUBICON jeep
                        Benson, NC

Comment

• ehansen007
                          230 Tornado
                          • Sep 23, 2019

Thanks Dave! Yes, a King Charles. Pretzel. He loves riding in it. I did the wood paneling from Amazon and it's like $40/side with Chrome trim! She's coming along and has been my daily driver lately even though I bought a new Kia Telluride.

Comment

• Waggymcgee
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 19, 2020

Originally posted by ehansen007
                            Thanks everyone. I'm sad to say I signed up here and posted up that first post and lost the link! First time back. Major updates. I've learned so much via the Facebook chat and She's been such a fun project so far. Here's what's happened

1. After pulling the tank a couple of times and cleaning everything out, putting in a new fuel pump, it turns out it just had the short sender so I eventually got the BJs one in and problem solved there. But it's all new breather valves and air tight. We even did the smoke check! Live and learn I guess.

2. Got it smogged just fine after that amazingly but she still ran rough.

3. Pulled the carb and the base plate and gaskets were all cracked. Go that fixed and rebuilt the carb and reset the float and she ran great. Been reliable since then although she still idles a bit rough on deceleration etc but very livable. Choke works and she runs pretty clean but still have exhaust manifold leaks so she sounds like a steam train on the gas.

4. Bought the vinyl trim used from someone and spent two or three days getting the old adhesive off only to not use it to this point. I think I like the no wood look better.

5. Fixed the rear window switch and removed the safety switch as that was a real problem. Also fixed all the windows. The fronts are pretty good but the backs are still slow

6. Removed the fuseable links in the engine compartment and replace with real fused links that I can see and replace if they blow. This really helped with the electrical flow.

7. Installed new Deemer (local here in Santa Ana) springs which got the ride height nice and recently put new Bilsteins front and rear and man does she ride nice!! Love it.

8. New tires as big as I could get.

9. Pulled rear carpet and installed some fake wood flooring which looks nice.

10. New Kenwood head unit/media player with decent JBL 6" front and 6x9" backs and also a Bazooka powered sub which I wrapped with some wood vinyl wrap which is hilarious. Sounds amazing for a low powered system! Now I listen to JJ Grey, Van Morrison, and Johnny Cash all the time in high fidelity! I can also take calls via bluetooth which is awesome.

11. New wood steering wheel and custom beer tap column shifter

12. Spent close to $1k getting the AC working with new condenser, lines, etc. Works killer now.

13. New distributor after I broke the original one (long, lame story)

14. Cleaned the interior and man the stock carpet came back to life!

So now almost everything works (except cruise control) and I'd like to fix the exhaust leak soon and I should be good for a while. Just bought a new Kia Telluride which is loaded but honestly I love the Jeep more since I have so much of a relationship with her now.
                            & Mofro!!!!!
                            Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg

Comment

• tgreese
                              • May 29, 2003

Nice Wagoneer! Your pictures are huge. 800x600 work well for posting. The forum software is old and dumb and won't fix such things for you. Up to you to make the post readable.

Still waiting to hear about where in OC this is. I'm guessing Lake Forest or thereabouts. Terrain looks flat, buildings look newish. Lots of development in the past decades south-southeast of the former MCAS. I grew up in Orange and went to UCI as an undergraduate.

A stuck EGR valve will give you a rough idle, but should not affect emissions. You can clean the EGR pintle with a wir brush and put it back. Buy the gasket(s) first.
                              Tim Reese
                              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                              X