• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy d
    Shade Tree Shaman
    • May 06, 2000

coupla maintenance qs/ grease 4 peace

now that the day time temps are below freezing and the ponds are all frozen, mosta the mosquitos are either dead or hibernating. time for some routine maintenance. i read with interest the thread about greasing the cardan joint. gonna try that as soon as i locate my grease needle. i understand that there are 2 types of chassis lube,and that you arent sposed to mix them, well how can you tell whats what? my current tube of grease is red. its got something to do with lithium,( thought that was used to control schitzophrenia, not u-joints ) my other question regards the care and feeding of the 229 x-fer case. what size are the drain and filler plugs? what do i use for lube, regular atf? how much to fill if i drain it? i know i prolly shoulda kept up with it, but the non squeaky wheels dont get the grease 'round the dubois estate. the 229 seems to be working fine, i would like to keep it that way. TIA

------------------
    '88 gwag,pure stock
    \'88 gwag,pure stock
  • JOE.C
    232 I6
    • Jul 16, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andy d:
    now that the day time temps are below freezing and the ponds are all frozen, mosta the mosquitos are either dead or hibernating. time for some routine maintenance. i read with interest the thread about greasing the cardan joint. gonna try that as soon as i locate my grease needle. i understand that there are 2 types of chassis lube,and that you arent sposed to mix them, well how can you tell whats what? my current tube of grease is red. its got something to do with lithium,( thought that was used to control schitzophrenia, not u-joints ) my other question regards the care and feeding of the 229 x-fer case. what size are the drain and filler plugs? what do i use for lube, regular atf? how much to fill if i drain it? i know i prolly shoulda kept up with it, but the non squeaky wheels dont get the grease 'round the dubois estate. the 229 seems to be working fine, i would like to keep it that way. TIA

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>this is straight from my owners manual for my 1980 j20 just did lubeing and changed t-case fluid in august.manual says any lithium based grease for joints and 10w-40 for the transfer case and thats out of the owners manual and the jeep technical manual for that year.the fill and drain plugs are about the size of a quarter,no problem draining it used pump to fill it, hope info helps you out fellow new englander,where the only thing saltier than the ocean is the roads. take it easy joe.c

Comment

• Bernie
      232 I6
      • Apr 11, 2000

My 86 with a NP transfer case takes ATFand the plug is some where around one and a quarter.
      To many Jeeps not enough money!!

Comment

• Slippery
        350 Buick
        • Nov 09, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bernie:
        My 86 with a NP transfer case takes ATFand the plug is some where around one and a quarter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1-5/16" IIRC. Andy, if you're worried 'bout mixing grease types, just pump new in 'til it forces all the old out...

------------------
        Jason K.
        "No FSJ yet, but wait..."

Comment

Working...
        X