• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • porkchop
    Master of B.S.
    • Apr 17, 2000

Why do I have no head lights?

I got in the wag the other day to go to work and I had no head lights. I have fog lights and interior lights. Lucky enough it was not dark enough to require head lights. I had them a few days ago but now I can not figure out what is up. I do not have a fuse for them and all wires look as if they are hooked upped. The only lights that do not work are the head lights. Any ideas.

------------------
    '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
    "Old Timer"
    Body of a 33 year old
    Heart and legs of a 21 year old.
    Spirit of a 1 year old.
    360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
    SOA 32X11.50's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."
  • Bernie
    232 I6
    • Apr 11, 2000

If you have the hi-lo beam switch on the floor it could be a bad connection at the switch. Either that or you were travelling at the speed of light and you just couldn't see them when they came on

------------------
    To many Jeeps not enough money!!
    To many Jeeps not enough money!!

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

heck it could even be the dimmer itself. just shy of 31 years ago, i dipped the lights going around a curve in my 47 jimmy p/u.the lights never came back on. i wedged the ol'girl so tight in between 2 trees that it took a 977 cat front end loader to extricate it. i walked away with a busted nose.dumb a** luck,i used most of it that night. the contacts in the dimmer prolly corroded. iguess i'm preachin' 'cuz its Sunday.

------------------
      '88 gwag,pure stock
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• christopher
        232 I6
        • Jul 20, 2000

I am not sure if your rig is set up for plowing, but if it ever was you may have a headlight kill switch for when the plow is installed. check for a toggle switck on your dash. I had the same thing once untill I figured it out

Comment

• porkchop
          Master of B.S.
          • Apr 17, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by christopher:
          I am not sure if your rig is set up for plowing, but....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing to plow in Arizonia I am going to go out and check the dimmer switch, I hope that is the problem because the days are getting shorter.

------------------
          '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
          "Old Timer"
          Body of a 33 year old
          Spirit of a 1 year old.
          360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
          SOA 32X11.50's

Comment

• Ralph
            Third Member
            • Apr 11, 2000

Check the relay under the hood, which is mounted on the left fender. You might've burned it out.
            We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• porkchop
              Master of B.S.
              • Apr 17, 2000

Well I went out there and sure enough it was the dimmer switch. So I thought I will go ahaed and fix the steering column that I have been meaning to do. Take it out weld it up and put it back in. Hooked everything up take it for a ride and I have turn signals. I get back and start trouble shooting and find out I have no brake lights either!! Checked the flasher bulb and fuses all wires are hooked up, nothing that I can tell shorted out, any ideas?

------------------
              '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
              "Old Timer"
              Body of a 33 year old
              Spirit of a 1 year old.
              360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
              SOA 32X11.50's

Comment

I would start looking for a poor ground. This is a common problem on old cars. Do the head lights have a ground wire? Check and make sure there is a good bare metal to bare metal connection with the chasis. Also, often body components ground to the chasis through thier housings. I have never looked into how headlights ground, but whether its through the housing or by means of a wire or strap, I would look into this.

Comment

• Veepster
                  350 Buick
                  • May 14, 2000

the headlight s are grounded right at the headlight.....I just redid mine last week. I pulled off the bezel and right around 4 o'clock(or was it 8 o'clock?) you will see the ground wire...

------------------
                  Peace.............BartG

the Green Flash!
                  78 Chero
                  360 2v, 400 QT with low

4" skyjacker
                  33x12.50 BFG KO's
                  Thorley headers, 3" exhaust
                  Infiniti power leather seats
                  50%LuxuryCar,50%Tractor
                  Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

I had to yank and replace my headlight switch (is that what you mean by "dimmer switch"?) on my last road trip. In the parking lot of an Autozone in a REALLY bad section of Birmingham, to boot! The old one fell apart in my hand, but with the new one installed (ten minutes, max) I finally had lights again! I think the part ran about 12 bux.

------------------
                    '78 Chero WT
                    401/4bbl/TH400/BWQT
                    44s F&R
                    "Jeep: the toughest 4-letter word on wheels"

Comment

• Veepster
                      350 Buick
                      • May 14, 2000

I think they mean the bush button switch on the floor.....

when you turn on your headlight switch it sends power to the dimmer switch on the floor, and then pushing the dimmer switch toggles the juice from the low beam circuitry to the high beam circuitry and vice versa..

------------------
                      Peace.............BartG

the Green Flash!
                      78 Chero
                      360 2v, 400 QT with low

4" skyjacker
                      33x12.50 BFG KO's
                      Thorley headers, 3" exhaust
                      Infiniti power leather seats
                      50%LuxuryCar,50%Tractor
                      Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

• andy d
                        Shade Tree Shaman
                        • May 06, 2000

PC, check out the stplite switch. i dont know where it is on your rig. its prolly either on the end of the master cyl or somewhere in the pedal assmbly. you'll find it.
                        \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• porkchop
                          Master of B.S.
                          • Apr 17, 2000

Well my brake lights are working, loose wire, but I still have no luck with the turn signals. I believe it is an internal problem on the column. I am going to pull the column tomorrow and check it out. I will keep you all informed. Thanks for your help so far.

------------------
                          '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
                          "Old Timer"
                          Body of a 33 year old
                          Spirit of a 1 year old.
                          360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
                          SOA 32X11.50's

[This message has been edited by porkchop (edited October 16, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                          X