• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cliff
    350 Buick
    • Mar 30, 2002

QT Problem After Chain Replacement

77 Cherokee 401, QT with low range 100k miles

My T-case had a loose chain and the resulting slip-stick noise. Had no leaks and the case functioned well - E-drive and low range work great. So I replaced the chain with a new BJ's chain - flawless installation! I didn't do anything else since I had zero leaks and it was working pretty good.

First test drive was on jack stands - everything works great! Took it for a drive and for the first time ever encountered no slip stick or binding. Drove 2 miles (1 mile in circles, both directions) then returned home to check fluid, thinking the chain side would need a topping off. Instead I found it overfilled by 1/4 cup. Hmm.

I Let the excess drain out and took it for a second drive. This one 4 miles with some parking lot figure 8's. Encountered a slip-stick type of noise in the turns. Took it home and this time drained more than 1/2 cup from the chain side. It seems obvious that fluid is going from the low range gearbox to the chain side.

Any ideas? Am I just overfilling the low range box? Initially I added 1.5 qts to chain side and 1 qt to the low range box.

Is the excess fluid on the chain side causing the poor driving symptoms?
    Cliff Danley
    1977 Cherokee S

• Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

of course it is. the low range unit is not sealed separately from the main case.

a little extra won't hurt. most of these are way too low on oil.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Cliff
      350 Buick
      • Mar 30, 2002

I guess I figured they were separate reservoirs since the low range unit can't be drained from the same drain as the chain case.

But . . . can overfilling induce the drive-ability problem I am having?

It did run perfectly at first, then the problems started, I guess at the same time oil in the low range unit was running into the chain case. Weird.
      Cliff Danley
      1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

What oil are you putting in it.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Cliff
          350 Buick
          • Mar 30, 2002

Crown QT fluid from BJ's.
          Cliff Danley
          1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

Hi oil level will have no affect on Case behavior. Just run it a while itsvannold case with old parts so you kinda are stuck with what you got.

I fill these thru the low range unit till it runs out the level plug on the main case.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

Cliff - Based on what I have read, you over filled the low range by a pint. Yes, it will spill over into the rest of the transfer case. It doesn't sound like you over filled the case if the total was around 2.5 quarts. High fluid level can cause fluid to be pushed out the vent above the Edrive shift mechanism though.

From the 1977 AMC Jeep TSM section 8:
              Last edited by fulsizjeep; 08-17-2020, 05:03 AM.
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Cliff
                350 Buick
                • Mar 30, 2002

Thanks for the fluid info. I have ensured that there is no excess fluid and today it drove better (did circles and figure 8's). Will do it again tomorrow and hopefully all will be good!
                Cliff Danley
                1977 Cherokee S

Comment

Working...
                X