• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisnsarah
    360 AMC
    • Sep 24, 2000

Upholstery questions, mostly door panels

I'm going to start doing some of the upholstery since the Cherokee is gutted and the weather is getting cold enough to move some projects inside. Last night, I removed the vinyl and fabric from the rotted door panels. The vinyl is in excellent shape. The fabric insert is faded and dirty. I want to substitute something else. My questions are:

Best material for backer board. I could get OEM upholstery board, but I hear people have success with masonite and FRP. Will glue stick to FRP? I actually have a scrap on a job enough for 2 door panels. Is masonite better since I can staple it? I don't want something that will warp and mold.

The vinyl has some areas with deformities and wrinkles. Will a hairdryer smooth them out?

Has anyone came across a fabric close to the vertical striping on a '79? I saw some automotive fabric online, but was a solid color.

When I use spray glue, do I just do the edges or spray the entire area. The original panel was fused to the backerboard where the designs were heat pressed in.

Finally, if I order a complete carpet kit for a cherokee, does it include the tailgate panel with the backerboard?

Thanks
    '64 J200 thriftside
    '67 J2000 townside custom cab
    '68 Jeepster Commando
    '69 Super Wagoneer
    '75 J10
    '79 Cherokee S WT
    '75 Cherokee
    '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

The kit does include the carpeted tailgate panel. I have the black BJs kit in my Cherk, and it doesn't suck.

I'd get that blueboard that interior shops use. There's also a ton of great doorpanel links via google, you can do some fun stuff fairly easy.

Why not try a leather insert? There's tons of 80's leather jackets at thrift stores just begging to be cut up.
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• chrisnsarah
      360 AMC
      • Sep 24, 2000

Originally posted by Gambler68
      The kit does include the carpeted tailgate panel. I have the black BJs kit in my Cherk, and it doesn't suck.

I'd get that blueboard that interior shops use. There's also a ton of great doorpanel links via google, you can do some fun stuff fairly easy.

Why not try a leather insert? There's tons of 80's leather jackets at thrift stores just begging to be cut up.
      I was actually thinking of some tan denim inserts, like the Levis interior. Too bad my interior is not blue, otherwise my drawer has an ample supply of blue ratty demin.

I may go browse the fabric store tonight. I'm not too interested in a purists interior, but I want it to look period correct. The fabric on the seats is a mess too, so whatever I do to the door panels has to carry to the seats.
      '64 J200 thriftside
      '68 Jeepster Commando
      '69 Super Wagoneer
      '75 J10
      '79 Cherokee S WT
      '75 Cherokee

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Carrhart tan demin would rock We need a Carrhart Ltd. Edition, sure beats 11oz denim!
        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
          350 Buick
          • Mar 25, 2008

my panels aren't faded or anything but I was considering getting some really thin plywood and replacing the cardboard part of the door panels.
          '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• chrisnsarah
            360 AMC
            • Sep 24, 2000

Carhart tan would be neat. My problem is this is the color I have to work with, kind of a orangish or reddish brown.

'64 J200 thriftside
            '68 Jeepster Commando
            '69 Super Wagoneer
            '75 J10
            '79 Cherokee S WT
            '75 Cherokee

Comment

• men in black
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jul 08, 2006

I have templates for all the backer boards and kickpanels
              Masonite or ABS, what ever you want.
              1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
              Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
              Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
              Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• chrisnsarah
                360 AMC
                • Sep 24, 2000

I have templates too. Kaiser panels are a slightly different size than AMC's.

Anyway, I bought a piece of 1/8" temp masonite. For $6, I think I'll give it a shot. It will make 4 door panels. I'll put a coat of sealer on them first.
                '64 J200 thriftside
                '68 Jeepster Commando
                '69 Super Wagoneer
                '75 J10
                '79 Cherokee S WT
                '75 Cherokee

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                  Cherokee Outlaw
                  • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by chrisnsarah
                  Carhart tan would be neat. My problem is this is the color I have to work with, kind of a orangish or reddish brown.

Hey some people would KILL for that color interior...I HATE tan interiors but its what I always get stuck with...
                  -Jonny B.
                  1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                  7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                  AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                  NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                  F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                  R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                  1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                  1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                    Cherokee Outlaw
                    • Jan 10, 2006

OH! OH! OH! I had an idea...get some reddish brown corduroys from a thrift store and make some inserts. Keep it 70's man...
                    -Jonny B.
                    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• chrisnsarah
                      360 AMC
                      • Sep 24, 2000

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                      OH! OH! OH! I had an idea...get some reddish brown corduroys from a thrift store and make some inserts. Keep it 70's man...
                      Uhh..I kinda like that idea. Off to the thrift or fabric store tonight.

I love this interior color, but it's sure hard to find a match for the colors. I spraypainted a tan headliner with a Rustoleum designer paint from Home Depot. I think it was called Brick, but it came out almost exactly like the original color.

The green on the seats is not the camera. They faded from the sun. Whatever I do for the door panels I want to copy for the seats. I even thought of a laminate insert in the panels. There's some neat designs out now and a cabinet guy I know can get me small scraps.

I haven't found a carpet sample online that matches yet.

If anybody knows exactly what this interior color scheme is called, let me know.
                      Last edited by chrisnsarah; 11-13-2008, 02:00 PM.
                      '64 J200 thriftside
                      '68 Jeepster Commando
                      '69 Super Wagoneer
                      '75 J10
                      '79 Cherokee S WT
                      '75 Cherokee

Comment

• scannman70
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 19, 2007

You hate tan interiors, I've been lookin for tan for a year now, all I find is Blue ! Not gonna go well with white and orange paint

Comment

• chrisnsarah
                          360 AMC
                          • Sep 24, 2000

Originally posted by scannman70
                          all I find is Blue ! Not gonna go well with white and orange paint
                          It will if you live in Boise

'64 J200 thriftside
                          '68 Jeepster Commando
                          '69 Super Wagoneer
                          '75 J10
                          '79 Cherokee S WT
                          '75 Cherokee

Comment

Oh yeah, got to love the smurf turf, and the overwhelming support in thwe poll when it came up for replacement.
                            Art
                            ASE Master Collision Tech
                            "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by men in black
                              I have templates for all the backer boards and kickpanels
                              Masonite or ABS, what ever you want.
                              I would definately appreciate them if you want to send em to me
                              '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

Working...
                              X