• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZChief
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 16, 2018

1979 401 cooling issue

I have a 1979 Chief with a transplanted 401, all stock. Here's the issue: Running the Chief on the highway at 50mph or faster, and the temp gauge on the cluster reads at the 3/4 mark with the underhood aftermarket gauge reading 195-200 degrees. Once I turn on the A/C, the temp immediately shoots up, the interior gauge is almost pegged, and the underhood aftermarket gauge reading around 230 degrees! Turn the A/C off, and the temp drops back down again.
    Get off the highway and run at 40mph or slower, with stoplights, and the temp stays at the 3/4 mark or around 195-200 degrees, with the A/C on OR off. Go figure.
    I replaced pretty much the entire cooling system, as I live in AZ and purchased the Chief not too long ago. It has a re-cored 3-core radiator, new water pump, new thermostat and waterneck, new radiator cap, new hoses, and fresh fluid with a good mix of anti-freeze. The fan is not damaged and sits in the shroud at the right depth.
    Any ideas as to why it cools ok at lower speeds, but at higher speeds with the nice ram air, it gets really hot?
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

I would suspect the radiator. how long ago was it recored ?

It's possible your bottom hose is collapsing . especially if your radiator flow is impaired. I've never seen it on a Jeep but it can be an issue. that's why many hoses have the spring in them.

Comment

• AZChief
      230 Tornado
      • Aug 16, 2018

The radiator was re-cored about a month ago, when everything else was replaced. The bottom hose is new and also has the spring in it, I made sure of that.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Maybe you are running lean and the engine is really making that much more heat that you can't cool it?
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• AZChief
          230 Tornado
          • Aug 16, 2018

That thought crossed my mind, didnt think it would make that much of a difference, but Im going to check that and the timing tomorrow.
          Any other ideas from anyone, please chime in!

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

It's probably lean and/or timed poorly.

It's also a 401 in Arizona. One of the many reasons I like 360's.
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• gsmikie
              Auto Trannie God
              • Feb 18, 2001

bad fan clutch if no fan clutch bad pitch on the fan blades if it is an aftermarket fan the blades are flattening out at higher rpm and slowing air flow
              I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• AZChief
                230 Tornado
                • Aug 16, 2018

FSJunkie, There's not much difference in cubes between a 360 and a 401, are you saying the 401's run hotter?

Comment

• yossarian19
                  258 I6
                  • Nov 13, 2016

He is - I have no firsthand knowledge but have heard people say that 401's run hotter than 360's.

I don't think your problem is the fan, both because it isn't doing anything at highway speed and you don't overheat in town.

Put a light behind the radiator and look through it and the condensor from the grill. You want to see nice, clear light coming through the fins. If it's jammed with bugs or the fins are bent, fix as needed.

With the engine at idle, keep well clear of the fan blades (seriously) and snap the throttle open for a few seconds. Watch the lower radiator hose. Did it collapse from suction? If so, get a new one with a spring if possible but a new one anyway.

It's always possible the radiator has something wrong with it, rebuilt or not, but I'd be looking at air flow through the condensor & coolant through the lower hose first.

Comment

• 440sixpack
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 21, 2016

401's will run hotter than 360's just like 400 chevy's run hotter than a 350. it's the thin cylinder walls. that said you shouldn't have problems unless you're towing.

Fuel and timing will effect engine temps some but they effect EGT's mainly. if your problem is as severe as it sounds it's cooling system related.

Is it blowing water out ? just wondering about a compression leak.

I still suspect the radiator. seldom have I seen a cooling problem that a radiator didn't cure.

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

Has the 401 been rebuilt? As mentioned, the cylinder walls are thin. The larger 401 bore combined with the existing bore spacing requires that the cylinder walls be thinner than the 304 or 360. These blocks are spec'd for 20-thou overbore maximum, as I recall. If the cylinder wall is too thin next to the cooling passages, heat from combustion travels quickly into the cooling water instead of being carried away with the exhaust gases. If you search, you'll find many instances of 401s bored say, 60-over with hot spots in the bores that made them overheat terribly.
                      Tim Reese
                      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• AZChief
                        230 Tornado
                        • Aug 16, 2018

The 401 has not been rebuilt, it has roughly 120K on it, and runs just fine. Fires right up without skipping a beat! I will try checking the lower radiator hose just to be sure, although it is new as well. Im going to check on the passages through the fins of the radiator and condenser, as well as checking the timing and fuel mixture, and also the compression, as suggested.
                        Thank you all for the suggestions. It may be a week or so before I can get to everything, but I will touch back here afterwards to report on the findings.
                        Thanks again!

Comment

• Ristow
                          • Jan 20, 2006

No mention of a new fan clutch yet. Put a fan clutch on.
                          Originally posted by Hankrod
                          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 15, 2010

they make a severe duty/police version for the fan clutch, use that instead of the standard fan clutch.

Comment

• AZChief
                              230 Tornado
                              • Aug 16, 2018

It does not have a fan clutch on it, I assumed it didn't come with one because it really doesn't look like one was ever there. It goes from the pulley, to the spacer, to the fan. And the fan is set into the shroud just perfectly. It's a '79, we're they all coming with clutch fans already at that point?
                              I'm just not sure the fan is the issue, because it cools just fine (195) at lower speeds and at stops, when the cooling system is depending on the fan. It only gets really hot on the highway when I turn on the a/c. In these situations, it's being cooled by ram air, not the fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X