X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mass
    232 I6
    • Sep 26, 2017

I got a call from a globalspec sales guy. Seems there was a typo on the .32" wide female terminals. AMP doesn't make them and basically it shouldn't exists in their system. So I'm back to looking for a quality Packard 58 or 59 push-to-seat 12 gauge tin plated terminals

Waytek wire is where I ended up sourcing 80% of the materials. I used waytek a lot also and I agree. Better quality parts. Highly recommend them. Since I decided to build these and sell them I placed a big order with them over the weekend.

Nograin, I googled Eastern Beaver Motorsports and didn't find a page with parts. Do you have a link?

If I can't source some good packard terminals I'll give Dan and Rob a try.

Hella is a good relay and I REALLY like the waterproof nature of the ones I'm getting. Plus its still a standard 5 pin bosch style so you can pop another one if needed.. or swap high relay for low should there be a failure.

It seems that some people will want to keep the stock look as much as possible so I'll be making it to sandwich in between the core support next to the headlight cutouts.
    89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• nograin
      304 AMC
      • Dec 19, 2000

'85 Grand Wagoneer
      360 727auto, NP229
      body by beer (PO)
      carries wood inside
      no "wood" outside
      My other car is a fish

Comment

• Mass
        232 I6
        • Sep 26, 2017

Thanks!
        89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• Mass
          232 I6
          • Sep 26, 2017

It's happening!

Got some parts in. I love the quality.. I mean look at the knurling where the wire goes. ...and they crimp like butter

89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• Sunbeam Fanatic
            232 I6
            • Dec 19, 2009

Count me in for one
            1979 Cherokee Chief 2 door
            Original RHD for the UK market
            AMC401 - GM4L60E (uprated)

Comment

• Mass
              232 I6
              • Sep 26, 2017

Originally posted by Sunbeam Fanatic
              Count me in for one
              Cool! Thanks!
              89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by Mass
                It's happening!

Got some parts in. I love the quality.. I mean look at the knurling where the wire goes. ...and they crimp like butter

Are those the ones from that eastern beaver place? The pictures on the site do not quite look the same as what you posted. If not, where did you get them?
                79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Mass
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 26, 2017

Those are sourced from waytekwire. The female I posted above is a Delphi Metri pack 630 series. The one's on eastern beaver look a lot like these I got from ebay.
                  I'm not really digging the super thin folded over metal construction. I know they will work but if I can spend a little more for a quality one I'll do it. I'm going to give the Packard 59 connectors and terminals a shot from texas industrial electric. The third picture is of their product. Notice the thickness in the blade is one solid piece. It's not folded over to simulate a thicker terminal like my $0.05 ebay terminals. Also the tab on the ebay ones that holds it in the connector is not springy at all. I don't want it working it's way out over time. Maybe I'm splitting hairs but like I said earlier in the thread, I'm OCD about this stuff. Even though mine will be hard wired from the factory wiring, I still want the quality to be there for anyone who buys my harness and doesn't want to chop wires.

89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• Mass
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 26, 2017

Got some more parts in. I decided to go a different way for circuit protection. These Delphi connectors make a good water proof fuse holder. Since its a 6 place connector I'll have room for a spare fuse or room to expand for the fog lights.

Also the water proof relays looks nice

Quality terminals

89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• Mass
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 26, 2017

It seems I'll have to use the male connectors I have. The second ones I ordered wouldn't fit without without hacking away some plastic on connector itself.

I got the last few things I was waiting on in the mail today so I'll see if I can't find time to start building it tomorrow.

These are the all important Packard 59 terminals that will attach directly to the bulb terminals. They come on a reel. How strange is that?

89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• Mass
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 26, 2017

I had a little time today so I made some progress. It's setup on isolated 30 amp circuits with a spare fuse in the water proof holder. I should have enough time tomorrow to finish up but here's some pics. Do you think I should offer an alternative for the male 3 prong plug (plug and play) and option out 3 butt connectors to hard wire to the factory side? Personally I hard wire.

89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• SkylinePCG
                          258 I6
                          • Jan 11, 2005

I’d be interested in one as well.
                          1980 Cherokee WT

360, 727, 219, 35s
                          Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...

Comment

• Mass
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 26, 2017

Thanks skyline!

Looks like I had another setback today. My fault. I can't believe I didn't notice it but the 59 series terminals I got are for 14 gauge.
                            Seems as though I'm a dummy and ordered based on "max cable size" of 2mm which is what 12 gauge is. However that number is in reference to the total diameter WITH insulation.
                            I only just noticed the data sheet also mentions "max core cable" size which is the actual conductor size. My bad.

I'll have to order the right ones after Christmas on Wednesday and to make it worse it looks like a 13 week factory lead time unless I want to order a reel with $750 worth. Yikes!
                            Aside from the 6 terminals that go into the ceramic connector I've got it all finished. I went ahead and put it together for the heck of it to see how it looks.

What do you guys think?

1. If you want easy accessibility to the fuses you can zip tie the fuse box in the engine bay like I have here or hide it behind the lights with the relays. I made it long enough to do either so its your choice.

2. The positive leads are long enough to make it to the alternator or battery.. whichever floats your boat.

3. Ground is directly to the battery. Or if you want to be weird, rebellious, or "different" you can TEK screw it into the nearest sheet metal.

Heap of wires huh?
                            89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• Mass
                              232 I6
                              • Sep 26, 2017

It's now posted in the vendor section. I wasn't able to get the best headlight terminals I wanted but I'm still very happy with it. I sold one last week to a guy on fsjn and he is very happy with it.
                              89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• Tripwire
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Jul 30, 2000

I bought one - WOW !!!! as good as it gets for your rig A+

a work of art, well made, sealed connections - the type of quality the most finicky /prissy OCD person would be happy with

tripwire
                                Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

Working...
                                X