• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chucks1911
    232 I6
    • Jan 02, 2008

Factory vs dealer AC. How to tell?

I'm in the process of pulling the AC off of my 78 J-10 parts rig to put on my 76 Honcho. While I was at a parts store looking for something else I checked on the price and availability of a new dryer. They needed to know if it was a factory or dealer AC system.

It really looks factory to me, but I remember some discussion a few days ago saying that all the AC systems were really an afterthought. I mean inside the cab, it looks like an add on system.
    76 Honcho 360/T-18 4 Speed/Dana 20
    77 J-10 with 258/TH-400/Quadra trac
    78 J-10 with 360/TH-400/Quadra trac (for parts)
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

If your register is hanging below the dash, with the controls in the center of the register, then it's most likely factory, but this kind of system could easily be dealer installed as well.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• jsinajeep
      304 AMC
      • Nov 26, 2005

Ask the part store what the different is, and or show them what you have on the unit.
      http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• Chucks1911
        232 I6
        • Jan 02, 2008

Originally posted by Lindel
        If your register is hanging below the dash, with the controls in the center of the register, then it's most likely factory, but this kind of system could easily be dealer installed as well.
        Exactly. Under the hood (except for the heater box) it appears factory. Inside the cab, it could be either. But with an under dash unit, it looks dealer/aftermarket.

I'm leaning factory though.

Comment

• Lindel
          Perfesser of Jeepology
          • Jun 15, 2000

The heater box on these things has (afaik) has always looked like it's an add on.

Even in the last GW, the AC looked like it was an after thought, but they did move the controls up to the dash in 86. But from 73 to 85, it looked as much like a dealer install as anything else, even though it's most likely factory.
          Jeep Grounds
          RRV Homepage
          1987 Grand Wagoneer
          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
          1999 Wrangler Sport
          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• jc turtle
            258 I6
            • Dec 05, 2002

IIRC, The factory ac had crimped fittings at the ac compressor, the American Air unit had hose clamps on the hoses. hope this helps, John

Comment

• mallthus
              230 Tornado
              • Jan 17, 2008

Originally posted by Lindel
              they did move the controls up to the dash in 86. But from 73 to 85, it looked as much like a dealer install as anything else, even though it's most likely factory.
              The controls on my 91 GW's AC were in the same, bloody hard to get to, spot as on my current 83 Wag. They were better labeled, but not in the dash.

What was in the dash were the Heat/Defog controls that are in the IP on my 83.

Richard in OK
              Richard in Oklahoma
              '83 Wagoneer (RIP)

Comment

• mdill
                Gone. Not Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2000

What color is the unit ? Most dealer installs I beleive were black, I think most factory ones were color matched to the interior. (But as said they all look aftermarket)

Mike D.
                -----------------------------------------
                Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                And the other stuff that gets driven
                ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Lindel
                  Perfesser of Jeepology
                  • Jun 15, 2000

You have dealer installed air, or someone swapped it in.
                  Jeep Grounds
                  RRV Homepage
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer
                  AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                  1999 Wrangler Sport
                  4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Comment

• Chucks1911
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 02, 2008

Ok after struggling to get at the drier yesterday (its between the front valance and the radiator core support) it appears to be a factory system. Has the origional 78 York compressor on it too. I didn't get it all out yesterday, ran out of time. The plan for today after work is to do the old "on your back upside down and backwards" in the cab of the 78 to get the indoor part off. Wish me luck!

Anybody know if the system has an orfice tube or an expansion valve? I havent found either yet.

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Expansion valve, it's mounted to the evaporator, and you won't see it until you drop the underdash unit, and remove the nasty ashpalt tape crap.
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Chucks1911
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 02, 2008

Originally posted by babywag
                        Expansion valve, it's mounted to the evaporator, and you won't see it until you drop the underdash unit, and remove the nasty ashpalt tape crap.
                        Cool. I may need one of those toxic waste suits before I get up under that dash

Comment

• crispyboy
                          304 AMC
                          • May 14, 2002

The American Air unit has the evaporator that hangs below the vent line of the A/C unit taking up passenger feet room. The factory unit has the evaporator that is above the vent lline behind the dash. Factory units and American Air units are both add-on but I have found the factory to be much better. Both had controls (2 dials) right on the unit. The later GW's 86 - 91 had the controls on the dash and used the temp control as a potiameter to adjust for how much the compressor would run. There is a seperate electrical device for this under the dash.
                          The condensor piping is also better on the factory unit(fits the space in front of the radiator better - that's why they asked you the question about the factory/dealer unit when you went to purchase the dryer - had different sized fittings). I used the original fittings and had new hoses fitted up. The air also seems to blow better through the factory unit. You can add a low pressure switch to both units as it is no more than a switch in the hose that allows the compressor to operate if there is enough refrigerant in the system. The expansion valve is behind the evaporator and you will see it when you take the unit from under the dash. You should probably change this if your going to r134 gas and possibly change the compressor to a newer sanden unit.
                          I reworked the entire system in my J20 2 years ago. I converted to r134 gas and the system wiil freeze you out of the cab.
                          Thats all I can think of at this time.
                          Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
                          <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

• Chucks1911
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 02, 2008

Originally posted by crispyboy
                            The American Air unit has the evaporator that hangs below the vent line of the A/C unit taking up passenger feet room. The factory unit has the evaporator that is above the vent lline behind the dash. Factory units and American Air units are both add-on but I have found the factory to be much better. Both had controls (2 dials) right on the unit. The later GW's 86 - 91 had the controls on the dash and used the temp control as a potiameter to adjust for how much the compressor would run. There is a seperate electrical device for this under the dash.
                            The condensor piping is also better on the factory unit(fits the space in front of the radiator better - that's why they asked you the question about the factory/dealer unit when you went to purchase the dryer - had different sized fittings). I used the original fittings and had new hoses fitted up. The air also seems to blow better through the factory unit. You can add a low pressure switch to both units as it is no more than a switch in the hose that allows the compressor to operate if there is enough refrigerant in the system. The expansion valve is behind the evaporator and you will see it when you take the unit from under the dash. You should probably change this if your going to r134 gas and possibly change the compressor to a newer sanden unit.
                            I reworked the entire system in my J20 2 years ago. I converted to r134 gas and the system wiil freeze you out of the cab.
                            Thats all I can think of at this time.
                            Good stuff here! Can you post some more on the use of a sanden compressor? Maybe a "this is what I did". Parts list etc. How did you go about lining up the pulleys?

Comment

• red mistress
                              304 AMC
                              • Sep 13, 2007

Sanden

get the correct AMC engine bracket off a 88-91 for the Sanden

there is an adaptor from York to Sanden, but is hard to get the belt adjustment perfect.

York compressors were not designed to use the 134 and will work, but not as good as the Sanden.

Sanden also operates much more smoothly.
                              67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
                              69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
                              80 Honcho Sportside
                              82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
                              82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
                              83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
                              84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
                              84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
                              87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

Working...
                              X