• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beach_Dude
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 03, 2011

Mail order from junkyard, bad parts

Place an order recently, $300+, plus $150 for shipping, and so far half of the stuff is broken or are wrong parts. I mean, even things that are currently broken on my Jeep, the exact replacement part that I ordered, is broken in the exact same way.

I've rarely ever ordered parts from scrap/junk shops, without naming the shop, is there any type of replacement with these types of shops or is it just a lesson learned not to use them again?

Anyone have recommendations or other sellers?
    1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    360 w/ MC 4350
    All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
    Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

I have learned the same lesson, better to drive some distance and know you got the right part then ordering online.

Comment

• UnkleMunky
      350 Buick
      • Oct 17, 2000

I have not ordered used stuff like that from yards. But I know more and more are offering that type of thing. Did the place have a website and/or return policy listed anywhere? I would go and try to read up on that stuff first....so you at least know if you have any explicit recourse or not. Either way I would then recommend contacting them....explain the condition of the item, etc. You may need to provide photos of condition on arrival. Really depends on the place...some might be great to work with, others may be tail light guarantees. My guess is....even if you could return the parts, that the return shipping would be on you. Which with the amounts you mentioned above....may make it a call on your end whether you follow through or not.

But if you contact the yard/seller, the worst they can tell you is "sorry, bud....they're you're parts now...have a good day." Which is no worse off than you are at the moment. So, you don't have anything to lose by contacting them and discussing the situation.

But I do agree with the other comments about it being best to drive the distance for certain parts (or have someone in that area go pick them up on your behalf and be your eyes on the ground). Also....always best to read (or ask if they don't have them listed) what their return policies are, etc. Best to know up front what your options will be if you get a bum part in the end.
      Michael (UnkleMunky)
      '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
      '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
      Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

Paid with a credit card? Dispute the charge if the seller won't make it right.
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
          232 I6
          • May 31, 2019

I've had both good and bad experiences.

Most of it dealt with my wife's '98 Land Cruiser that I bought with a blown engine. I bought a full used engine from a place out in WA, and by the time it got to me the oil pan was dented beyond fixing. Parking it on a tire on a pallet didn't cut it. Nothing else was damaged, and the engine ran great. Had 135k on it when I put it in, and we've put 80k on it since then.

Bought radiator for the same rig out of a Cruiser specific parts place, figuring that a used Toyota part was better than a new piece of Asian garbage from (fill in your favorite chain auto parts store). The one I got leaked as soon as I put it in, and I had a hell of time getting any refund out of them. Had to ship the radiator back, so I paid shipping both ways. Then I went and bought a new Yota part.

You make a good point though, if it's broken on your truck, often it's a manufacturing problem, so you're likely to have the same issue on another used part of the same vintage.

Comment

• wylder
            232 I6
            • Jan 01, 2015

I'm going through the same ordeal today. Bought a roof corner for my 82' J10 last week , sent the yard a photo of my corner with diagrams for the size and placement of the cuts I needed. Got a perfect corner from a browed truck. Not sure what else I could have done? I gave them the year and a close up picture of my trucks roof corner. Waiting to see if they will take it back but no response yet.

Comment

Working...
            X