• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marco Fennema
    232 I6
    • Apr 07, 2011

Hi Hookedup 50,

Thank you very much for your offer. I do still have the old one, I replaced it because I wanted to upgrade
    Since Bulltear seems not to offer to sent me a new one upfront, I will try the Locktite way first.
    But your offer is very nice, wish the vendors copy this attitude.

Regards,

Marco

Comment

• Jeepguy77
      350 Buick
      • Mar 16, 2008

Originally posted by Mephistopoles
      It's this kind of stuff that leads to so many SBC swaps.
      This is a double edged sword. Since small block chevy swaps, drive away the major parts manufacturers from AMC.

I have seen factory covers leak around this spot. It is not unique to the aftermarket covers.

If anything AMC shouldnt have duplicated Buick's oil pump setup, and maybe built it like the inline 6s and put the pump inside the pan.
      Pierce,
      77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• The Colonel
        360 AMC
        • Feb 21, 2010

The Loctite 290 is good stuff, it should solve your concern.

Be sure to clean the area very well. Also the directions have you heat the area- see the attached document (porosity sealing).

Our apologies, the page you requested was not found. The page you have requested may have been removed or is temporarily unavailable. Thank you for your understanding!

Comment

• Mephistopoles
          232 I6
          • Jan 21, 2006

Originally posted by Marco Fennema
          Hi Hookedup 50,

Thank you very much for your offer. I do still have the old one, I replaced it because I wanted to upgrade

For what it's worth, no aftermarket cover will ever be as good as the one that came from the factory.
          I've rebuilt motors with 100K miles on them, re-used the factory cover, and then proceeded to flog the motor for another 100K miles.

Think about it. AMC V-8s were built by the hundreds of thousands on a production line by UAW members who didn't give a rat's as s about quality, and yet they left the factory and ran for 100K+ miles typically. Then somebody rebuilds one with "upgraded" aftermarket parts and can't even get out of the driveway.

BTW, profanity filters suck noodles. We're not children here.
          78 Wag 401/TH 400
          78 J-10 401/TH 400
          69 AMC Rebel 2Dr/HT 401/TH 400

Comment

• mathman
            350 Buick
            • Sep 12, 2007

You don't pay much attention to the membership then - we have had several members under 18 and currently have one at a mere 13. We're not PBB here...
            David
            '78 J-10; '78 J-20 8400GVW
            '79 Cherokee
            '50 Willys (not Willy's) 4WD Pickup

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

Yeah, actually we have some here.

Profanity is the tool of people who cannot make an intelligent argument.
              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Mephistopoles
                232 I6
                • Jan 21, 2006

Originally posted by will e
                Yeah, actually we have some here.

Profanity is the tool of people who cannot make an intelligent argument.
                Well, the filter is set at kindergarten, not PG-13.

Anywho, back on topic; if I were the OP, I would send the timing cover back and tell him to keep it, and put the original cover back on. IMO.
                78 Wag 401/TH 400
                78 J-10 401/TH 400
                69 AMC Rebel 2Dr/HT 401/TH 400

Comment

• Thomas792
                  327 Rambler
                  • Sep 16, 2007

Taiwan is "Republic of China" and Mainland China is "Peoples Republic of China". China would like Taiwan back under their control since the split in 1945 following WWII when the communists took over.
                  1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
                  Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• Marco Fennema
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 07, 2011

Different subject but after many months battling I received my car back from the mechanic shop and my money was returned. They made a mistake and bored the cilinders way to tight. Ruined while they were playing around the crankshaft and blaimed me false. The contra expertise was finally done by one of the most USA experienced race engine builders. It took him a few minutes to find the problems. So a bit different then the period the previous mechanic shop needed who tried to blaime me falsely for having a cracked flexplate which turned out to be fine, a defect waterpump, also fine, a defect oil pump, which did have a minor leak but only a cosmetic issue ( still not solved ), defect (new) lifters, and the absence of a fan shroud ( but I did have a additional electric fan mounted to the three row radiator. From May 2012 to March 2013 they tried to delay this, hoping I would get tired of it. Now the new engine builder expect to finish the engine next week. Took five weeks to find a new proper harmonic balancer, Dorman and Omix shipped three exactly the same ones, but all three had a ID bore which was bored by a blind Chinese guy. Professional Product sold me now onw with a proper fit, but also Chinese. It seems hard to find US made parts. So, after the initial engine failure in Jan 2012 I hope to drive soon. The only bad luck is that the road tax has changed, older cars did not have to pay. But starting next year I have to pay 300 usd a month road tax because I drive Propane. If I switch to Petrol it will be 15 USD. But Petrol costs 2.20 a litre. I believe one gallon is four litre. So that means for daily driving a old Asian car and I have to pull out my brand new Propane equipment. Buy buy 2500 usd investment. Have the car 36 months and drove 12 months Propane. So driving a US car is getting impossible. The goverment wants us to drive small economic cars.

Comment

• serehill
                      Gone,Never Forgotten.
                      • Nov 22, 2009

Ditto

Originally posted by mathman
                      You don't pay much attention to the membership then - we have had several members under 18 and currently have one at a mere 13. We're not PBB here...
                      It's perfect the way it is.

80 Cherokee
                      360 ci 727 with
                      Comp cams 270 h
                      NP208
                      Edlebrock performer intake
                      Holley 4180
                      Msd total multi spark.
                      4" rusty's springs
                      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Blown7
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 15, 2005

Originally posted by Marco Fennema
                        I totally agree. I could have bought a new cover here in the Netherlands for 250 usd. I specially selected Bulltear for their so named quality. Shipping, tax and import duties raised this cover to 500 usd. And now, put Locktite on it ? Maybe it fixe the the problem but it is not how I would reply to my customer. A bit disappointed.
                        Well a couple things here come to my mind, even though Mr Bulltear is a friend of mine and always has made high quality parts for me I must say your expectations seem to be too high for what what you paid, I'm sorry you live half a word away and you pay exorbitant prices but it is what it is, if you want a assembly to work 100 per cent correctly I'm sure Matt could build you a blinging billet oil pump assembly like he did for me, he will...but you will pay for that part.

He gives you the best he can with what he has to work with, and I think he would eat the cost of the second part if you sent the first part back... more than fair in the aftermarket automotive industry.

Nobody pays for R&R of any part unless THEY SELL IT.

I'm a mechanic, if I sell you the part I will R&R it free, but bring me someone else s part and you will pay twice........
                        CJ7 401 AMC 6-71 Supercharger,8 psi boost, N2O, 16 fuel injectors, 16 N2O injectors, Bugcatcher, F.A.S.T ECU. Moldex crank, Carillo rods.JE Pistons, TH400 w/ trans lock, QT 1339,<br />Dana 44\'s, Eaton lockers, Toyo MT 35\'s

Comment

Working...
                        X