• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aktrapper
    232 I6
    • Aug 29, 2008

Vacuum Questions

So the vacuum in my 89 GW has been minimized and I was changing the radiator hoses and heater hoses and I have three specific questions. The JEEP is running pretty well right now so I don't believe there is a problem with the vacuum set-up.

1) In the front of the engine where the radiator hose and bypass enter the engine (with the thermostat), there is a CTO (I think it is the HDC CTO valve) with three vacuum ports. None of the three are plugged or connected to anything. Can I remove this CTO and plug the hole with a bolt? If not, should the vacuum ports be capped off?

2) in the back of the engine where the heater hose enters the engine, there is another valve with six valves and none of them are connected or capped. Same question - can I remove the valve and plug it with a bolt? If not, should the valves be capped?

3) The EGR valve (soup can sized silver disk with one valve in the back of the engine) isn't capped - should it be?

TIA
    Certified Novice Mechanic...
    89 Grand Wagoneer (AMC 360/TF727/NP229)

A work in progress!
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

1) yes. Remove it and plug the hole. I would use a brass plug to prevent it from rusting too bad.
    2) yes. But it's easier than #1. Remove the pipe from the top of the brass block that connects the hose that goes to the heater core, then remove the brass block from the intake, then insert the pipe you had removed from the top of the block into the hole in the intake. (Then PM me and I will buy that block from you...)
    3) There is no vacuum leak there but I do not like open nipples myself. Leave it open or plug it. It's up to you (it makes no difference either way).
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

they are pipe thread not regular bolt threads.
      need to use NPT plugs if removing.
      be advised in PA they may not be easy to remove...

if nothing attached to them they can be left alone/as-is
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• aktrapper
        232 I6
        • Aug 29, 2008

Thanks guys. Fortunately my Waggy is registered in Alaska so I don't have to worry about PA emissions.

Rang-a-stang - once I get that part off, I'll let you know.
        Last edited by aktrapper; 03-24-2020, 07:28 AM.
        Certified Novice Mechanic...
        89 Grand Wagoneer (AMC 360/TF727/NP229)

A work in progress!

Comment

Working...
        X