• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chipotle
    232 I6
    • May 26, 2004

Vendor problems for TBI system

Has anyone here recently done business with http://www.customefis.com/ ? I am in the middle of an 360 engine rebuild/upgrade, and had paid Custom EFIs for the TBI system for AMC 360. I'm having little luck in getting the business to keep me informed, and the 6 week wait is now 15 weeks, with a 4 week old promises to deliver being the last response I've been able to get. I'm getting really close to canning the purchase, and going to a 4BBL carb.

Just curious for other recent experiences, and a word of potential warning.

Thanks,
    Douglas
    85 GW 360/727; BDS lift with 32x11.5; Confer rack; 2 Point roll bar in rear; GM TBI with GM ECM
  • Spectre
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 26, 2004

Apparently he's really bad at communications and *very* slow to deliver - which is why I wasn't interested in him for EFI. I would recommend Howell or Affordable Fuel Injection, both of whom produce roughly the same things - except they'll sell you a DIY kit OR a turnkey system.

All that said, he does supposedly produce a quality product even if you have to wait forever to get it, and supposedly he offers great technical support.

[ July 29, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Spectre ]
    "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Join the club, excuses/delays/poor communication/etc. seem to be the norm for this guy!!!
      Only been 3 weeks for me, but he's failed to deliver the system as promised....

I sicked PayPal on his *** for a refund, since he can't live up to his promise(s).

If they don't issue the refund, I'll just sick AMEX on his *** . Either way it's been a pain in the *** , and frustrating.

I DON'T RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE BUY A SYSTEM FROM HIM!!!!

[ July 29, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: babywag ]
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Spectre
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Nov 26, 2004

If I hadn't found this Holley Pro-Jection system locally for cheap, I would have bought the AFI kit, FYI.
        "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Comment

• chipotle
          232 I6
          • May 26, 2004

Spectre, yeah now I have an idea of how slow. Unfortunately he has my money. I could switch to an Edelbrock real easy and cheaply, since I already have their manifold. Who knows how long it might take to get my money back. Heck the guy hardly responds to simple queries.
          85 GW 360/727; BDS lift with 32x11.5; Confer rack; 2 Point roll bar in rear; GM TBI with GM ECM

Comment

• Spectre
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 26, 2004

You can put any of the TBI units (including the Holley) onto the Edelbrock manifold - and in fact, that's one of the recommended upgrades...

Comment

• chipotle
              232 I6
              • May 26, 2004

Yep, I know many units can go on the Edelbrock manifold. My wallet is the bigger issue while CusomEFI's has a $1,000 hole in my budget. I can put on a carb for about $300 and call it a day. And thanksfully its not a daily driver, since its been offline for 2 months waiting for parts.

Comment

• chrism
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 07, 2002

I had the same issues...promises then nothing showed up. All in all it took 9 months for him to get me my TBI system. It works great but I would never do business with customefis again.
                1979 Cherokee
                1979 CJ-7

Comment

• Spectre
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 26, 2004

chipotle: $500 to AFI and $100 in junkyard parts will get you an EFI system, too.

Comment

• brielly
                    350 Buick
                    • Dec 30, 2002

Funny I was going to post this same question but finally heard back from him. His computer crashed and he lost lots of files. He is also starting to make his own tbi's but is having equipment problems. I've been waiting for 9 months and am pretty much stuck wating at this point. My jeep will be a DD and the modified engine will definately need custom chip tuning. They say good things are worth waiting for so I hope his product is all that its advertised to be. I just hope he's telling new customers how long the wait will actually be and not telling them 7 weeks like in my case.
                    For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • May 19, 2002

Same issues a year and a half ago. John always seems to be ready with some plausible reason why he hasn't delivered as promised -- nice enough fellow otherwise. I got his home phone # from switchboard.com (sorry, can't find it at the moment), and that sped things up considerably -- especially after I sic'd My Dear Wife on him.

All that said, I'm not one to get in a huge rush anyway and am very happy with the final(ly) finished product.

S.J.
                      "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                      360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                      T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• djmac
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 19, 2003

Sj, I tried Switchboard.com using just the state (ga) but I came up with quite a few hits. Do you remember what city?
                        Originally posted by Serious Johnson:
                        Same issues a year and a half ago. John always seems to be ready with some plausible reason why he hasn't delivered as promised -- nice enough fellow otherwise. I got his home phone # from switchboard.com (sorry, can't find it at the moment), and that sped things up considerably -- especially after I sic'd My Dear Wife on him.

All that said, I'm not one to get in a huge rush anyway and am very happy with the final(ly) finished product.

S.J.
                        82 J10 SOA 6" SPRINGS D60-D70 W/DETROIT LOCKERS 38x15.5 TSL'S on 12" M/T CLASSICS 460 V-8 C-6 CUSTOM EFIS EFI AND HYDROBOOST

Comment

• pb
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 28, 2003

Originally posted by Spectre:
                          chipotle: $500 to AFI and $100 in junkyard parts will get you an EFI system, too.
                          FYI, it took 4 months for me to get everything from AFI and it still isn't right. Try Howell or Megasquirt.
                          Paul
                          1975 Wagoneer DD
                          360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• trickc
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 29, 2000

Originally posted by djmac:
                            Sj, I tried Switchboard.com using just the state (ga) but I came up with quite a few hits. Do you remember what city? </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Serious Johnson:

S.J.
                            </font>[/QUOTE]Try columbus ga, thats where he was at unless he's moved.
                            73 j-4000 "buttercup"-SOA 36's 4 door cab

78 wagoneer choptop-SOA 36's, 6 point cage, blah blah blah

Comment

• GED
                              258 I6
                              • May 20, 2002

Same here. He originally quoted me two weeks for a system back in April. Still stuck waiting on the system...
                              Got an answer rate of one in 9 emails with one of four questions answered. I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks more, but, now this thing has gotten out of control. I've heard a lot of excuses:
                              - may: travelling
                              - june: moving to a larger shop
                              - july: computer virus

but nothing looking good so far.
                              Gilles-Eric
                              "La Goulue", '89 GW, reman. stock 360 with MSD6D & TBI, 727/229, 131K miles, 31x10.5 BFG AT.

Comment

Working...
                              X