• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alley oop
    232 I6
    • Jul 20, 2014

trailer tires vs LT tires

i was wondering how many of you are towing small trailer with you FSJ I am currently working on a small 3x5 2000lb GVWR trailer to pull behind my 77 Cherokee the trailer originally had ST 6.00 x 12 tires, I what to put taller tires for more ground clearance and less bearings speed. i know the experts say ST trailer tire are for trail and Lt tire are for truck, trailer tire are built to haul more weight, but still I am limited to 2000 lb axle rating, just wondering if any of you are running LT tire in your small trailer and how do they holding up
    Thank
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

If I ever get around to building a trailer it'll have the same tires and wheels as the tow vehicle so one spare fits all.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• alley oop
      232 I6
      • Jul 20, 2014

would have to change to a 3500 lb trailer axle to get the same bolt pattern as the Cherokee 6x5.5
      Last edited by alley oop; 11-26-2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
        Cherokee Outlaw
        • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by SJTD
        If I ever get around to building a trailer it'll have the same tires and wheels as the tow vehicle so one spare fits all.
        Same here. I'm planning on building a matching camp/offroad trailer from an 8ft J-truck bed. So, I am also curious on this question.
        -Jonny B.
        1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
        7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
        AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
        NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
        F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
        R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
        1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
        1979 Wagoneer - Sold
        1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• PaulD
          232 I6
          • Jul 04, 2017

The key difference between ST and LT tires is the sidewall. If you look at some of the RV sites, this is a hotly contested subject and you will see supporters for both types. The ST tires have a stiffer sidewall which allows them the higher weight capacity as well as reduced side to side sway. The penalty is reduced speed because the stiffer sidewall builds up heat more easily at higher speeds. Most ST tires have a 65 (or lower) speed rating but there are a few than are rated higher. Almost all ST tires are made overseas and poor quality is typically their downfall.
          Meanwhile the LT tires have thinner sidewalls and offer a higher speed rating. If you plan to travel side trails, the thinner sidewalls are more susceptible to damage. Almost any will provide enough load capacity for your 2000 lb limit.
          Personally, I use LT tires because I want to drive interstate speeds. The few times I am off the pavement, I am very careful about tire placement to avoid sidewall damage.
          89 GW - Fun kick-a-round driver
          06 XK Commander Limited - daily driver

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

I'd think stiffer sidewalls and less flex would cause less heat generation.
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• PaulD
              232 I6
              • Jul 04, 2017

I'd think stiffer sidewalls and less flex would cause less heat generation.
              Both types will flex. At higher speeds, there is a higher frequency of flexing. The stiffer sidewalls (more ply's) have more resistance to flex. More resistance = more heat.

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

Still doesn't make sense to me. Stiffer means less flex, less flex means less heat.

Like more pressure in your tires means less flex and cooler running.
                Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• jsinajeep
                  304 AMC
                  • Nov 26, 2005

I have used both on my Camper and Car hauler and the ST tire did nothing but give me problem. Wear pattern on tread was unreal, blow out and if you let them set with 65# of air [like it call for] for a length of time in the AZ heat they will blow out just setting there. I will not use the ST tire again.
                  http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• PaulD
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 04, 2017

Still doesn't make sense to me. Stiffer means less flex, less flex means less heat.

Like more pressure in your tires means less flex and cooler running.
                    Don't try to compare the flex of a ST to the LT. All tire including the ST flex. The issue is how much they flex in a specific period of time. A ST (or LT) tire flexes 16% less times per minute at 60 MPH vs 70 MPH due to the speed differences. That translates to added heat in both size tires but the stiffer sidewall of the ST build up heat faster. Added heat coupled with lower quality construction in ST tires translates to more tire failures.

Comment

• TexasJ10
                      360 AMC
                      • Jan 03, 2002

I've always used bias ply st tires on my 10,000 lb trailer and have always had very good luck with them. They seem much better at resisting issues when you run over things you shouldn't. I've had bad luck with radials however. They just don't hold up to my bad trailer handling.

For a 2,000 lb trailer I can't imagine it would matter whether you put LT tires on it or went for ST tires. You should have plenty of capacity for anything you are towing.
                      * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                      * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                      . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                      * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• Pillow
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 19, 2017

Agreed, 2000lb probably not a big deal either way.

But just to add from my experience from small to heavy trailers:

1. IF you want ST get the bias ply. They perform better than radials in the long run even thought they are "old tech". the radials also crack sooner and will not give a sufficient shelf life assuming a limited use/mileage trailer.

2. I strongly encourage using LT load "E" tires. It works. You can run whatever speed you like. Adjust the air pressure to your load # needs. Change to 16" wheels and the world is your oyster! Although expensive, the Michelin M/S2 LT load E tires work very well and last without cracking (renamed Defender M/S for gen 3).

For a tow vehicle side I have gone from E LT load to XL (109T) load, which technically is not a LT tire, but has a better capacity than C load. especially with a weight distribution hitch it works and delivers a decent ride when under normal unloaded conditions. (Es will beat you to death unloaded in a TV).

Good Luck!
                        1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
                        1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
                        1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

• 440sixpack
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jul 21, 2016

ST tires are cheap crap tires made for a trailer where they don't have the liability of a car or pickup. they are inferior in every way.

Since I was a kid we've run the pickup tires down on the ranch pickups and then put them on the trailers . everyone did it. now days with 17,`18 and 20 " tires it doesn't work so good but I would if they'd fit.

If you have an LT tire that fits it will work. just check the load rating on the tire that's what the state allows for weight on your trailer. in Oregon anyway.

Comment

• alley oop
                            232 I6
                            • Jul 20, 2014

my plan after all the input from you gents and other local yoke-cal is to run a set of 30/9.50-15 LT that where on my 77 Cherokee when i bought it, would like to run the same wheel bolt pattern as on the jeep, seeing how i got a spare set of rims but
                            #1 would need to change axle on trailer or lots of mods to the axle
                            #2 use wheel adapters from 5 on 4.5 to 6 on 5.5
                            never ran adapters and not sure of the safety side of adapter, anyone run adapters and what's the thought there
                            thanks
                            Last edited by alley oop; 11-12-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• jsinajeep
                              304 AMC
                              • Nov 26, 2005

With a 2000# axle you should not have a problem with adapters.
                              As long as you keep the lugs tight.
                              http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

Working...
                              X