• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

Off topic - Honda help

Hello,
    I bought a 91 Honda Civic hatchback to save some money in my daily 100 mile commute (42MPG vs my XJ's 20). The car has been burning industrial amounts of oil (2 qts / 100 miles). After breaking a valve, I put in a lower mileage head from a junkyard, but made no difference in oil consumption. I plugged the PCV hose to see if it was sucking oil out of the crankcase into the intake, but no difference. I am wondering if I have a cracked piston ring somewhere. I checked compression and all four cylinders were at 175-195 psi. Here is a picture of the plugs.

It is obviously running very rich (plugs only have 300 miles) and #1 on the left looks pretty oily. I am thinking of pulling the head again, and pulling the pistons out to re-ring (the ridge on the cyls looked pretty minor).

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mikel
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame
  • chipotle
    232 I6
    • May 26, 2004

Yuck...not sure myself, but I can relate with an 88 CRX. It't pretty funny with the roof line lower than my Jeeps hood line.

Douglas
    85 GW 360/727; BDS lift with 32x11.5; Confer rack; 2 Point roll bar in rear; GM TBI with GM ECM

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
      GRUMPY
      • Apr 10, 2001

HEY!!!!!!!!!!... MIKEL..HOLY COW THAT'S A LOT OF OIL!. ..YEP! JUST PULL THE PISTONS AND RERING IT AND CHECK THE ROD BEARINGS AND JOURNALS WHILE YOUR AT IT!...HELL! IT'S ONLY 4 CYLs [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Chris Barry
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 31, 2004

what about the valve guide seals? have you checked those to see if they are letting oil past the valve guides? If you pull the head, look for oil in the intake ports.
        '85 Grand Waggy 360/727/NP229 33X12.5R15 2inch susp lift with 2inch body lift.(wife's DD)
        '86 Grand Waggy all stock with custom sagging springs
        '85 Baby Cherokee 2.5L(my new DD)
        '89 Chevy K2500 flatbed
        '87 Ford Ranger
        '84 Renault LeCar
        '84 Honda Passport
        '66 Yamaha MG-1T
        http://www.jpricefamily.org/joy/Chris-Cars.htm

Comment

• osceola
          350 Buick
          • Feb 12, 2004

compression at 175 to 195 psi? thats like 12 to 1 .is that correct?I dont think its your rings with compression like. that make me think you have afunky guage.do another test but this time squirt some 30 weight oil into the cylinders first if the compression goes up ,the rings are toast.if there is blue smoke at start up guides are worn.personally I wouldnt put a nickel into a japanese car they are throw away items as far as im concerned .parts are expensive and the nuts and bolts seem to be made of pot metal.I have gone down that road with them and wont do it again.
          henry

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
            258 I6
            • Feb 04, 2006

I'd reccomend not messing with it until you get a price quote for a used Japanese engine. Regulations over there require engines to be replaced around 40k, and all those engines get shipped here. Look in your local recycler or pennysaver type ad to find them, they go pretty cheap and have alot less wear than most junkyard engines.
            John V
            94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

06 Honda Accord SE 5spd- The Daily Ricer

Comment

• Little Red Wagon
              232 I6
              • Mar 01, 2006

The engines aren't that expensive for one from a wrecking yard... at least here in the southwest.
              here's a list of what you can expect in price for a new one, and it's a whole lot less hassle than tearing your engine apart to try to fix it...
              The prices range from about $450 to about $550 for a good engine with a 30k warranty.

[ April 05, 2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Little Red Wagon ]
              1985 ' Grand Wagoneer "Little Red Wagon"
              1978' Chevy 1/2ton 4x4 pu "Ol' Blue"
              2005' Silverado SS "Silver Bullet"
              1965' Malibu SS "SS Super Car"
              1984' Parts Wagon! PM me if your lookin for somethin I might have it.

Comment

• Spectre
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Nov 26, 2004

I'd look at doing a leakdown test first to determine where the problem is. Valve stem seals are cheap and easy to do. Much of anything else, I'd just ditch the engine and get a used JDM or junkyard engine, it's just not worth it.
                "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

Working...
                X