Electronic Fuel Injection FSJ Owners...Your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ColeTrickle
    360 AMC
    • Nov 13, 2000

Electronic Fuel Injection FSJ Owners...Your thoughts?

I was wondering what the thoughts were for owners who have invested in the Edelbrock system or any other EFI. Just wanting to gather some opinions really. Typical stuff like the advertised better fuel mileage, performance and horsepower.

I'm searching more info now. Most of us know this isn't a very cheap upgrade but if it saves me $$$ on gas now a days, could be worth it in the long run. These beasts of mine aren't going anywhere anytime soon and their appetite isn't gonna to diminish. I would like "one" to run like a top above the rest though.

Appreciate the info and opinions.
    J-trucks with Brows RULE!!!
  • Spectre
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 26, 2004

From my own research, by buying a kit and using selected junkyard parts, you can have a working EFI system for under $700. If I hadn't lucked out in finding this Holley kit, I would have gone that route. More commentary later, when I'm not working.
    "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

Kenny you will only pick up about 2 mpg and with the Edlebrock system @ $2500, it will take a very long time to make up the difference. One of the TBI systems is more cost effective. I like my Pro-Jection (used for $500) but I can't see spending 5x that amount.
      David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
      83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
      10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Lindel
        Perfesser of Jeepology
        • Jun 15, 2000

It might take a while to pay for it in mileage, but the driveability makes up for a lot in the process.

Even at $2500, Kenny would be way ahead of me on a cost per basis, but I'm getting much better reliability from an overall standpoint.
        Jeep Grounds
        RRV Homepage
        Texas Full Size Jeep Association
        1987 Grand Wagoneer
        AMC 360/TF727/NP229
        1999 Wrangler Sport
        4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• ColeTrickle
          360 AMC
          • Nov 13, 2000

Well, thats what I was looking for guys. Appreciate it.

With the price of fuel going up to who knows what, I find myself more and more less inclined to drive my FSJ's
          J-trucks with Brows RULE!!!

Comment

• Don S
            • Feb 06, 2002

Originally posted by ColeTrickle:

With the price of fuel going up to who knows what, I find myself more and more less inclined to drive my FSJ's
            ColeTrickle:

... OK Kenny!... We will just go to lunch in the Sentra!...

Have a good one and CUL.. Don S..
            Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
            It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
            ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• Spectre
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Nov 26, 2004

EFI has a number of other advantages:

1. Reduced engine wear - no massive "guesstimated" amounts of gas dumped into the engine for a random amount of time because of the choke or the accelerator pump. That sort of thing washes the oil off the cylinder walls.
              2. Except for the fuel pickup in the tank, no more angle sensitivity.
              3. No more altitude adjustments. It automatically adjusts the mix for you.
              4. No more seasonal adjustments. See above.
              5. No more yearly carb rebuilds.
              6. Easier starting, smoother running.

[ July 31, 2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Spectre ]
              "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • May 19, 2002

If I didn't take my Wag through pretty extreme altitude changes I doubt I could justify the cost of EFI. That said, putting a GM TBI on it was probably the best modification made to date.

Can't say what sort of power or fuel efficiency changes it made, since I did so much other stuff at the same time. Suffice to say that I now have a 360 Wag w/ 4" lift, 33" tars & 3.73 gears that gets 18 MPG on the highway & will 0-60 in about 9 flat at 9,000' altitude.

Spectre:

When you list a cost of around 700 bucks for a DIY GM TBI, are you considering a custom chip? I ran mine for testing with an unmodified Chebby 350 truck chip and it sorta worked, but not as well as a good carb. The custom chip is pretty much a requirement, and the toughest bit to do yourself.

S.J.
                "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Spectre
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 26, 2004

That includes a custom chip. See my post in : http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb....c;f=2;t=035340

Comment

Working...
                  X