What model S10 donor for steering gear box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Headhoncho
    It felt like the effort to turn the wheel was far greater than it was with the stock box. Felt like driving a truck with manual steering.
    My truck has 37's with crossover steering and I can turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger with the stock box.

JR
    That's exactly why most people change it out. They're looking for more of a "sporty" feel. When you're cruising down the freeway at 80mph you don't want to be able to turn the wheel a complete revolution with one finger. Take a sports car for a spin...it's not "difficult" to turn the wheel, but you know when you're turning and you have to deliberately do it.

Now granted this is NOT going to be ideal for wheeling. This is definitely an on-road manners option. If you're turning big tires against hard terrain the S10 box is not going to be an advantage.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Headhoncho
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by Cecil14
      That's exactly why most people change it out. They're looking for more of a "sporty" feel. When you're cruising down the freeway at 80mph you don't want to be able to turn the wheel a complete revolution with one finger.aa
      *In my best York Peppermint Pattie commercial voice*
      When I'm in my Jeep doing 80 mph, I get the sensation of being in a '67 GT40 Mk IV twisting and turning around the LeMans circuit, passing Porsches and Ferrari's (and maybe a trash truck with a strong tailwind) and the cool breeze whooshing through my hair (or what's left of it) . Ahh Haaa

JR
      [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
      1966 mustang fastback
      '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• palexand
        258 I6
        • Sep 05, 2009

Originally posted by Cannaert
        It is for a 95 to 03 4WD S-10. Same PS box. Autozone part # is 7577
        82 to 03 2WD and 82 -94 4WD are different. Autozone part # is 7575 (ZQ8 is 7576).
        We should add this to the tech library. Thanks for the info;-).
        -P
        // How a carb's choke circuit works
        // How to troubleshoot a carb's choke circuit

Comment

• palexand
          258 I6
          • Sep 05, 2009

Rag Joint, too?

I assume replacing the rag joint with the BJ's piece is a good idea as well...yes?

-P

Comment

• shiner2001
            350 Buick
            • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by palexand
            I assume replacing the rag joint with the BJ's piece is a good idea as well...yes?

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-467.htm
            I replaced a sloppy rag joint on my Cherokee and it made alot of difference. I think I picked it up at O'reilley's.
            Derek
            ----------------
            1973 Wagoneer 360
            1978 Cherokee 360
            1981 J10 360

----------------
            1964 El Camino 357
            1972 C10 454 LS6
            1979 Corvette L82
            1979 Scout II 345
            1988 YJ 4.2L
            1991 YJ 4.3L
            1990 Suburban V2500 350
            1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
            2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------
            "If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is."

Comment

• palexand
              258 I6
              • Sep 05, 2009

How to align new gearbox??

I've got the wheels centered, the old gearbox out, and ready to install my new donor s10 box...How do I align the gearbox correctly so with the pitman arm installed, my steering wheel is straight? I know 'about' where it should go. But, how do you guys get it right the first time?
              -P

Comment

• DukeJeep
                232 I6
                • Nov 16, 2009

This is all great to know, I replaced the lines on mine, but its still leaking. Hopefully its not this, but if it is - great to know!
                1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                76k miles

Platinum Silver over Burgundy

In 1987, Road and Track called the Grand Wagoneer "one of the most capable off-roaders going" and "a first-rate off-roader and inclement weather vehicle AMC has honed close to perfection." It also called the interior "truly grand."

Comment

Originally posted by palexand
                  I've got the wheels centered, the old gearbox out, and ready to install my new donor s10 box...How do I align the gearbox correctly so with the pitman arm installed, my steering wheel is straight? I know 'about' where it should go. But, how do you guys get it right the first time?
                  The pitman arm should be keyed. There are 4 large splines at each quarter on the output shaft on the gear box. As long as it's real close you can adjust it the rest of the way with the draglink adjustment.

aa
                  1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• palexand
                    258 I6
                    • Sep 05, 2009

Update on my s10 gearbox experience:

After getting the correct part # to mate up with the pitman arm on my '86 gw (see thread from me on that labor of #$% (errr, love), I got the new steering gearbox installed last week - no problem.

The truck drives like a dream on the road - 3/4 of a spin from the steering wheel for a 90* turn, and only a turn and a half for a u-ey. Impressive and tight. Road worthiness and confidence in the lane is vastly improved. With something this large, you expect to be steering a pack of wild animals to keep it straight - have to say, it took me two days to get the feel for it and stop pulling and fighting it. Now, I need to work on the front suspension - new ball joints, sway bay/end link bushings, steering stabilizer, shocks, and a 4-whl alignment to shore up the looseness. Not to mention, tightening the lower steering column that plagues us. That'll be a first for me. That's a terribly annoying feature.
                    -P

Comment

Working...
                    X