• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Will Morris
    350 Buick
    • Nov 24, 2002

Flexplate Replacement

Hey guys, so I need to replace the flexplate on my '77 Cherokee in the College parking lot and have to make up for a lack of floor jacks and transmission jacks with some ingenuity. I would just go buy a floor jack or tranny jack, but some good-for-nothing-SOB stole my tools a couple weeks ago, so my budget's being blown by buying tools I absolutely need. So is there any way to replace the flexplate without having to completely remove the tranny? Or is it time to go forage for some 2x4s and get a bunch of freshmen out of Physics lab to illustrate the concept of leverage? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will
    '78 Cherokee NT in GA
    '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT
  • illegalFSJ
    304 AMC
    • Jun 03, 2002

I haven't replaced a flexplate on an FSJ, but on Chevy trucks, we just slide the trans back about 5 inches, using the starter bolts through the bellhousing so that the trans is still sorta lined up with the motor. Then, use a serpentine belt tool to reach up and loosen the flexplate bolts. You'll have to figure out someway to prevent the motor from turning over as you do this. Put on the new plate, bolt it down tight, and slide the trans/x-case back into place.
    Hopefully that'll work for you.
    "Well, what gears do you have? If you have 2.72s in there still, a blown big block with jesus himself working the gas pedal couldnt get the rear tires to slip." -Mavawreck

1977 J10, shortbed, 360, T18a 4-speed, D20, 32\" A/T tires, Warn hubs - Forest Service Green

Comment

• Will Morris
      350 Buick
      • Nov 24, 2002

How are you able to slide the trans back 5"? It doesn't seem like you would be able to do that if it's still bolted to the crossmember unless you unbolt the cross member, but then you have to have something to support everything. I see what you're saying though, and will take a look at the possibility of doing something similar tomorrow morning.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
      Will
      '78 Cherokee NT in GA

Comment

• Ralph Rogers
        350 Buick
        • Jul 29, 2003

Yes you would have to unbolt the whole mess from the cross member, undo the driveshafts, low range lever and shifter. BUT the low rang unit wil lhit the gas tank if it goes back too far, I believe. Once you slide the tranny back it will want to drop from the front. It will need to be supported there while it sits AND while you are moving it back. One way, a cheap way, to do this is to remove the seats, pull back the carpet and there is an acess cover there on the tunnel, unscrew it and chain/strap a piece of pipe or 4x4 to the tranny and it can be supported that way too. You can also get a couple of those freshman to lift up on the pipe while you push the tranny back, or put a longer piece of chain/strap and lower it to the ground that way too.
        Just replaced a tranny and t-case by myself this past week. Did have a little help putting the t-case onto the tranny, but I still had to put it in myself. It's fun. The tranny and T-case are heavy, so be carefull.
        Ralph

Comment

• garryjav
          232 I6
          • Aug 30, 2004

can you rent a trans jack?

Garry
          Garry 79 wag limted 90 comanche 90&98 cherokee 94 grand cherokee 71 javelin amx 401

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

This may be a stupid suggestion, but I'd think you could scoot the engine forward more easily. As long as the campus police don't hassle you, you can rent a cherry picker to pull on the engine.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• gsmikie
              Auto Trannie God
              • Feb 18, 2001

get the bellhousing bolts at 9 and 3 o clock and replace them with 2 bolts that are 8-10 inches long this will hold the front of the trans up undo the trans mount from the crosmember and slide the trans and t-case back after you un do the trans cooler lines driveshafts and shifters you will need a jack under the engine oil pan to keep it from dropping when you undo the trans you can remove the low unit from the t-case to get enough room
              I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                All Makes Combined
                • Jun 30, 2003

Will, I am about to go through this process again - I ruined my previous starter and flexplate by leaving in a shim that the stupid PO put there. After crawling around under there, it seems much easier just to take off the hood, fan and shroud, heater box, exhaust pipes, some wires, and just pull the whole engine out, or forward like tgreese said.

Anyway, I gotta ask, are you stuck in this parking lot and unable to move, or do you just want to do the job there? If you are stuck, you might be able to get it started by removing the tranny cover and turning the flexplate with a screwdriver until some good teeth are lined up with the starter. This happened to me a few times when I was stuck on the street, and worked every time.
                Rob
                1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                Click for video

Comment

• Will Morris
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 24, 2002

I'm not stuck. Just don't have anywhere else to work other than the parking lot since I don't live off campus with a garage, which would be nice but out of budget.

Anyway, after messing with it today, I think my best bet is to take the low range off and try to slide the tranny back. There's definitely not enough room with the gas tank there and the low range on. But I don't have any QT fluid on hand to fill it back up. Anyone know of a QT fluid source in Maine?

Thanks,
                  Will
                  '78 Cherokee NT in GA

Comment

• Mikel
                    • Aug 09, 2000

Will,
                    If it makes you feel better, I converted my 78 Chief from TH400/QT to T18/D20 in the University of New Haven's parking lot. Being in good terms with campus police was very important
                    Mikel
                    1969 M715 6x6
                    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Mikel
                      • Aug 09, 2000

If you have a big floorjack, you could drop the crossmember, balance the tranny/TC on the floor jack and carefully move it back a few inches from the engine. This should give you enough room to unbolt the flexplate's bolts. I am a bit far from you unfortunately
                      1969 M715 6x6
                      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• seamus
                        327 Rambler
                        • Oct 08, 2003

I did this job last winter in my driveway , tarped in the GW and got a heater and it still sucked . Get a transmission jack if possible ( or create one using a floor jack and a homemade adapter). Good luck , it is a pain but getting it done before the snow starts might be a good idea. We have had snow already.
                        1980 Cherokee WT with Cummins 6BT

Comment

Working...
                        X