• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wackyneer
    232 I6
    • Oct 08, 2011

Waggy Stutters Under Full Load

I'm now doing "test runs" with the Wackyneer. It has been running well, so I tried to see what she's got. Once under full throttle for >5 seconds at 35+mph it stutters, and then regains power. If I keep my foot on the throttle, the scenario repeats itself. This only happens under load (not in park) and only after the accellerator is punched for a while.
    Logic tells me it is a fuel delivery issue. I don't think it is the fuel pressure/pump, because it picks up fine for 5 seconds or so. I suspect the following:
    Clogged fuel filter
    Clogged fuel lines
    Improper fuel bowl level

It is important to mention the Wackyneer sat for 3+ years and I have driven <30 miles on it since purchasing it. So far, I have replaced the following (possibly relevant) things:
    Drained gas tank and refilled w/93 octane + Seafoam
    Fuel filter (vent in 12:00 position)
    Air filter
    plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil (no timing adjustment)
    almost all vacuum lines
    PCV valve
    Both missing air intake hoses (on snorkel)
    '88 GW 360 V8, Almost stock (locking hubs and electric fuel pump)
    Was it an omen that my '88 GW broke down 2 miles after the purchase and the tow truck broke down bringing it to my house?
  • 80wag
    232 I6
    • Jun 19, 2006

Make sure your fuel lines aren't kinked at all, I recently replaced one that was too short, check your fuel filter, replace it if its old, and also fuel sock.
    Good luck
    90 GW, 360/727,NP229, FR D44, RR D44w Detroit, TADS SOA KIT, 35s, 1950 Willys CJ3-UV, original

Comment

• Rich88
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 20, 2008

I'd agree its a fuel delivery issue. You can't keep up with the demand.

Most likely clogged fuel sock or filter.

Also, what's with the 93 octane? These things prefer 87 or lower if you can get it. Higher octane is to slow the burn down, and is required for higher compression engines. For 360s, its a waste of money and results in lesser performance.
      Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
      88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
      "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• Wackyneer
        232 I6
        • Oct 08, 2011

I didn't think to check for kinks in the new "shorty" hoses coming in and out of the new fuel filter. I'll check those and change the filter again too. I wouldn't be surprised if I need yet another fuel filter. I'm hoping to avoid locating a sock and dropping the gas tank.
        Everything about this problem indicates that I'm not getting enough volume of gas to the carb during heavy demand. Does everyone agree that this is a fuel delivery volume/quantity issue?
        Was it an omen that my '88 GW broke down 2 miles after the purchase and the tow truck broke down bringing it to my house?

Comment

• 3rdelement
          350 Buick
          • Nov 25, 2009

you shouldnt have to drop the tank. there is an access panel under the rear seat(drivers side) you can drill out the rivets and access the fuel sending unit there.

i would guess:
          fuel line calapsing during load
          fuel filter clogged
          fuel filter vent not at the 12 oclock position
          float level incorrect in carb.
          Richard Ricketts
          build thread: click HERE
          1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks

Comment

• Schlagger
            350 Buick
            • Dec 31, 2007

Wouldn't be a horrible idea to throw a new fuel pump on too. They are under $40 and if it sat that long there could be gunk in it. I'd probably do the sock, filter and lines first though.
            1979 Wagoneer QT 360 4" BDS Lift
            1979 Cherokee Chief QT 360
            1968 Jeepster Commando 4" HC Lift
            2006 Honda Shadow Aero
            1986 Honda XR600R
            1984 Chevy 3500 Box Truck

Comment

• Rich88
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by 3rdelement
              ....there is an access panel under the rear seat(drivers side) you can drill out the rivets and access the fuel sending unit there.
              That's right. On mine, I replaced the rivets with sheet metal screws, 'cause there's always a "next time", whether for you or the next guy.
              88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...

Comment

• Wackyneer
                232 I6
                • Oct 08, 2011

I cannot find anyone selling a fuel sock. Is the fuel sock also called a "Fuel Sending Unit Filter" (TGW) or a "Fuel Pickup Tube Filter" (BJ's)? If so, is one better than the other?

Comment

• Rich88
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by Wackyneer
                  I cannot find anyone selling a fuel sock. Is the fuel sock also called a "Fuel Sending Unit Filter" (TGW) or a "Fuel Pickup Tube Filter" (BJ's)? If so, is one better than the other?
                  This: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-310.htm

Comment

• Wackyneer
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 08, 2011

Originally posted by Rich88
                    Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I couln't find the word "sock" anywhere, and I'm pretty good at Google-Fu.

Comment

• Rich88
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by Wackyneer
                      Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I couln't find the word "sock" anywhere, and I'm pretty good at Google-Fu.

Maybe shoulda tried "fuel line hosiery".

Comment

• Cappicaper
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 27, 2008

I had the same problem. Turned out to be the nut that hooks the fuel supply hard line to the back of the carb had loosened up consequently not delivering enough fuel under full load.
                        78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
                        69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
                        63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
                        www.buckstop.biz

Comment

• Wackyneer
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 08, 2011

Originally posted by Cappicaper
                          I had the same problem. Turned out to be the nut that hooks the fuel supply hard line to the back of the carb had loosened up consequently not delivering enough fuel under full load.
                          Now that you mentioned it... that line (stainless between fuel filter and carb body) moved ~1-2" when I changed the fuel filter and shorty fuel hoses. I didn't think to tighten it once I was finished.

Comment

Working...
                          X