J10 stainless trim, is it just my truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Honchov8
    232 I6
    • Jul 09, 2010

J10 stainless trim, is it just my truck?

I bought a nice used set of stainless steel body side trim for my 76 J10. The truck did not come with it orignally. While "mocking" up the trim I noted that both front fender trim pieces fit poorly. Specifically, when the trim begins to bend up from the body line towards the hood the trim is not flush with the fender, there is approx a 1/8" gap. Is this just my truck or was this an AMC/Jeep design flaw.
    1976 J10 Honcho "Z" code
  • Rod2
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 11, 2004

Originally posted by Honchov8
    I bought a nice used set of stainless steel body side trim for my 76 J10. The truck did not come with it orignally. While "mocking" up the trim I noted that both front fender trim pieces fit poorly. Specifically, when the trim begins to bend up from the body line towards the hood the trim is not flush with the fender, there is approx a 1/8" gap. Is this just my truck or was this an AMC/Jeep design flaw.
    I checked my '73 with factory trim, and there is indeed a gap between the trim and the fender flare. I didn't measure, but my "micrometer" eyes told me that it's about 1/8".
    When I repainted, I taped to the middle of the trim holes to separate the blue and white. That way, the thin gap between the flare and the trim shows the blue fender color.
    Rod Skaggs
    '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch

Comment

• Honchov8
      232 I6
      • Jul 09, 2010

Rod2,

Thanks for checking, do you remember what type of clips were on the front fender trim. I'm curious if the spring loaded one go on the fender stainless trim and the plastic ones are used on the door, cab and bed.
      1976 J10 Honcho "Z" code

Comment

• Rod2
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 11, 2004

Rod2,

Thanks for checking, do you remember what type of clips were on the front fender trim. I'm curious if the spring loaded one go on the fender stainless trim and the plastic ones are used on the door, cab and bed.
        All of mine were/are metal with springy wings on them that expand in the hole. I don't know of the plastic ones. I got replacement clips from a local GM restoration supply store.
        I have a screw through a tab at the top of the curve that goes into the flat fender flange under the edge of the hood. Do you have this tab and a corresponding hole?
        Rod Skaggs
        '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch

Comment

• Honchov8
          232 I6
          • Jul 09, 2010

Rod2,

Yes, I have the tab but all of the ones I have seen are riveted not screwed down, maybe your trim was removed at some point and the rivot was replaced with a screw.
          1976 J10 Honcho "Z" code

Comment

• Rod2
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 11, 2004

Rod2,

Yes, I have the tab but all of the ones I have seen are riveted not screwed down, maybe your trim was removed at some point and the rivot was replaced with a screw.
            You know I didn't look, I just posted from memory about the screw. I have a pop-rivet tool, and I just might well have replaced the fastener with a stainless steel rivet.
            I just read your other post about spacing. I'll go check Sat. with something like a thin plastic strip to see how far the clips are apart. The post on the other thread stating '6.5"' between seems a bit close to me. I know the short pieces from the door to back of cab take 2 clips probably an inch or so from each end. I'll check front fender, door, and bed spacing for you.
            I'll also check the fastener at the top of the curve.
            Hang on; don't start drilling yet.
            Rod Skaggs

Comment

• Honchov8
              232 I6
              • Jul 09, 2010

Rod,

Thanks for taking the time to measure that stuff up, it will help a bunch.

Scott
              1976 J10 Honcho "Z" code

Comment

• Rod2
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 11, 2004

Rod,

Thanks for taking the time to measure that stuff up, it will help a bunch.

Scott
                Well, I did get to it today. And it really hasn't been that long ago, but I had forgotten the stainless steel rivet I replaced the trim with. I forgot the rivet, not the stainless; every exposed fastener-- rivet, screw, bolt, or whatever-- was replaced with stainless when renewed.
                Now, about clips. I was forgetful about those as well. The fender piece has 5 clips plus the rivet. The first one is near the top of the curve toward the rivet end and is the spring "grasshopper" type. About 7" after the trim flattens out from the curve is the 2nd one and about 12"/ 13" inches from that one is the 3rd. This is another memory lapse; these 2 are secured with clips with studs and speed nuts. I can reach mine inside the fender below where the inner fender meets the outer. Then there are 2 more "grasshopper" clips spaced about the same with the 5th one near the door opening; probably 1"-1 1/2" from the end.
                The door piece probably has 5 clips as well. I don't have a door uncovered, but the clips could be either type because there is room with the door panel off to use nut types if so. I'm pretty sure mine are the springy type because the pass side door is bent a little and the trim is not pulled in.
                My previous post about spacing for the short cab piece was right for the measure, but these clips are also of the stud and nut type. I puttied these heavily because they go directly into the cab.
                The bed piece is fastened with 9 clips for my long bed about a foot apart with end clips about 1"-1 1/2" from each end. All are spring types.
                If your J10 is a short bed, 7 would probably do.
                The stud/nut clips will fit through a 1/4" hole. For the spring types, I think I started with a 5/16" hole but had to go bigger. (My replacement bed was holeless when I got it; I had to drill to replace my original bed trim. Been there, done that.) I practiced on scrap sheet metal first.
                If I didn't give you enough info, ask again.
                Good luck.
                Last edited by Rod2; 06-08-2013, 06:43 PM.
                Rod Skaggs

Comment

• Honchov8
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 09, 2010

Rod, once again thanks for all your help.

Scott
                  1976 J10 Honcho "Z" code

Comment

Working...
                  X