• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CJ5
    350 Buick
    • May 07, 2002

Originally posted by VonBoomenstien
    how did that sandblaster work and what kind of compressor do you have running it? im thinking about buying one but dont know anyone who has tried it.
    I bought that sandblaster at Harbour Freight probably 10 years ago. This is the third project using it and he has done well. The first two projects I was using a 5hp portable compressor and it did ok but put to much pressure on the compressor. I now have a IR 20HP 35cfm compressor and the blaster works great. It can be a hassle getting everything dialed in just right bu once you do it works really good.
    Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
    '72CJ - Complete Restore
    '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
    '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• CJ5
      350 Buick
      • May 07, 2002

I have not updated in a while. Progress takes a back seat to baseball, wife, band, golf, and work. Not necessarily in that order..lol.

The sand basting has been completed on most all hard parts and frame. All hard parts for replacement are in stock, save for a few odds and ends.

We cleaned the frame well and then applied the after blast product from eastwood. I think it may end up working really good. You can see the color difference below. It really cleans and etches the frame well.

We did the same for the diffs, brake parts, spring hangers, u-bolts, calipers, shields, etc. All will get primer and top coat same as the frame. We are using the Eastwood extreme chassis primer and chassis blaxk satin products. I have used Por on my previous restore and was happy but wanted to try something different. The frame came out well.

I will get some pics of the hard parts and diffs next update.

I am glad this part is done. Now we at least get to start rebuilding something. Next step is to put on the springs and diffs. Then start reassembling the axles, ujoints, and brakes and getting back to a rolling chassis. With baseball over, and the boys out for summer I expect to progress a little quicker....maybe.
      '72CJ - Complete Restore
      '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• CJ5
        350 Buick
        • May 07, 2002

Originally posted by VonBoomenstien
        how did that sandblaster work and what kind of compressor do you have running it? im thinking about buying one but dont know anyone who has tried it.
        To update you....the blaster is still going strong. I originally went with the fine black beauty media and had continous clogging issues. I switch to the xfine and it is blasting like a champ. That media change made all the difference in the world!
        '72CJ - Complete Restore
        '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• CJ5
          350 Buick
          • May 07, 2002

We finally where able to get some more work done. This is the part I enjoy; putting things together.

We finished the frame and attached the diffs. We are putting a 2" lift on it. I did that prior to starting the project and I liked the stance. Like mentioned before, if he wants to go wheeling he has several other options.

As can be seen, the diff slide off the jack and pushed a dent in it. Heck, those things must be recycled pie tins. It barely fell. I will look at it and see if I can fix it. If not then decide do I go with something more study? He is a kid after all and I don't want to take a midnight trip to the woods because he hit a rock or stump. If someone has a stock AMC 20 cover let me know I may want to buy it.

The internal gears all looked good so I don't have to do anything there. It has 3.31 gears. I have not decided everything I am doing to the motor, so I am holding off on gears. I want best mileage, great torque, moderate speed/quickness and smooth sailing.....not much to ask for..LOL. I may get the seals and all replaced anyway but they looked good and I have no leaks.

This is the next step. We are prepping hard parts. We will complete front and rear axles; Axle seals and bearings, new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, brake parts, rotors, same calipers, new pads, bushings, and ball joints. The hubs were fine so we will just rebuild those. Jared gets to do ball joints. He may learn a few cuss words with that job! He should get some good experience with brakes too. That alone will save him tons of money over the years!

So far, I think we are into it for about $1500.00, including bushings, front end parts like tie rods, new brake lines, hitch, etc. That isn't bad for a new and complete rolling chassis. I am doing my part to help the economy. At this rate the guys at BJ's won't have any problem buying the kids a new pair of shoes come winter.
          Last edited by CJ5; 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM.
          '72CJ - Complete Restore
          '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• SnowShoe
            350 Buick
            • Feb 24, 2008

Nice Father/Son project.....

Comment

• grand_wag_85
              Murphy's Law Poster Child
              • Dec 03, 2003

Awesome Jeep! That frame is clean enough to eat off of!
              You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
              '88 GW
              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• CJ5
                350 Buick
                • May 07, 2002

Thanks! We are making some headway on this part of the project. We have not touched the body yet and I anticipate that is where we will get clogged down. There is just a ton of body panels to sand and get ready for paint. The good news is there is not much by the way of body work to be done.

Like I mentioned, I still have to determine what all I am going to do to the motor. I have the Tranny and TC at the shop getting refreshed so that much of the drive train is done.
                '72CJ - Complete Restore
                '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• CJ5
                  350 Buick
                  • May 07, 2002

We are making progress. The rear axles are in, backing plate and wheel cylinders. I am waiting to finish the brakes with Jared. We didn't have any issues pressing the old bearings off and the new ones on.

Rear end buttoned up. I am debating a lunchbox locker for the rear but will deal with that later. A buddy owns a shop and we will decide when I send it for the exhaust.

We got the ball joints pressed in no problem, but we had an issue with a mismatched split ring seal so we could not install the knuckles.

Axles ujoints are in and ready to install once we get the knuckles installed.

We have the calipers, drums and rotors ready. We did paint using high temp paint and will clean all machined surfaces prior to install.

Once we get the ball joint issue resovled we can finish up front axles and button it up. We have the steering linkage, sway bar, spindles and rear brake parts prepped and ready to install.

We are awaiting the replacement brake lines to finish the brakes. Then we can blast the gas tank coffin and prep the tank and it get ready to install. While we wait for the final parts to arrive, we are going to start prepping the wiring harness than runs the length of the frame to the rear.
                  Last edited by CJ5; 07-08-2011, 07:01 PM.
                  '72CJ - Complete Restore
                  '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• BGW
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 02, 2009

That's some quality work! I love to see FSJs get full restorations, I don't know why people are complaining so much. Plus you get some good father/son time...I wish my dad were handy but at least my grandpa is.
                    1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• superman0094
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 04, 2010

Awsome, just awsome

Do you need another son? One that can go to the Quikie Mart and buy the beer? One that will bring his own truck to the restoration party?

On a serious note, I'd always thought that if I ever did a frame off resto that I'd Line-X/Rhino Line the entire frame and under body.

I'm just curious, did you think about doing that?

If so, what made you decide not to? If it's a good reason, you might help me save some $$ in the future.
                      '74 J10 w/ '76 360 30 over T18 Cooper MTT 35s

MSD 35859 8.5MM
                      MSD-6425 6AL DIGITAL BOX
                      MSD-8227 COIL
                      MSD-8414 CAP-A-DAPT
                      MSD-8869 ADAPT HARNESS
                      Edle 2132 Cam
                      Edle 1406 Carburetor
                      Edle Perf RPM Intake Manifold
                      Flex-A-Lite Variable Speed Fan Control
                      Dual Elec Fans

Comment

• CJ5
                        350 Buick
                        • May 07, 2002

Originally posted by superman0094
                        Do you need another son? One that can go to the Quikie Mart and buy the beer? One that will bring his own truck to the restoration party?

On a serious note, I'd always thought that if I ever did a frame off resto that I'd Line-X/Rhino Line the entire frame and under body.

I'm just curious, did you think about doing that?

If so, what made you decide not to? If it's a good reason, you might help me save some $$ in the future.
                        I can always use another hand, especially if that hand is bringing beer!

I am familair with Line X and Rhino. On Line X I would have to send the frame out to be done and that is a huge hassle. Both that and the Rhino have a rough texture and I don't like that. If you get into mud that texture surface is difficult to keep clean. The smooth surface looks much better to me and is easy to keep clean and to touch up. I don't know about price but I don't see those products holding up any better than POR or the Extreme Chassis from Eastwood. It really boils down to personal preference.

We hope to have a rolling chassis in the next few weeks and can begin the tough job of working on the body.
                        '72CJ - Complete Restore
                        '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• CJ5
                          350 Buick
                          • May 07, 2002

We are begining to finish up the chassis by finishing the brakes and front axles. Finished the rear today and we are waiting on replacement ball joints to finish the front.

Hubs prepped and ready. Yes, an inner gear is missing but I do have it.

Rear Brakes prepped. I replaced the old springs with a BJ spring kit. Word of caution; the kit is missing the primary shoe down spring, adjuster spring and parking brake strut spring so don't chunk your old stuff until after you are finished with the install.

and the finished product;

I am not happy with the adjuster screw and the position of the lower spring as it rides on the screw adjustment wheel. I will inquire in another thread.

Will update again as we get the front assembled.
                          '72CJ - Complete Restore
                          '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• CJ5
                            350 Buick
                            • May 07, 2002

We now have the ball joint issue resolved and was able to make some progress. We have the knuckles installed.

Axles, thrust washer and seal installed

and then spindle and disc brake backing plate installed

and finished the portion by installing the tie rod and stabilzer bar

All of this went as planned. I am a little concerned about the tight movement of the knuckles. They are not to spec with the manual (25ft lbs) at 40 ft lbs. I saw no real fix in the manual except to replace. I think they will loosen up as they get some movement and will recheck once it has some miles on it.

The next step will be to finish the rotors, brakes and hubs. Once that is done we will be back to a rolling chassis.
                            '72CJ - Complete Restore
                            '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• BotterbrodtGE
                              258 I6
                              • Nov 30, 2010

Looks Great

Great Father Son project. Can't wait to watch the progress. My dad did the same thing with me when I was 13 when we restored his 69' Oldsmobile Delta 88. Then we built up my first truck. I know I'll never sell it due to all the memories I have attached to it. And it looks cool haha. Good luck with the build and enjoy the time you get to spend together in the Garage.
                              1990 Stock for now Grand Wagoneer

U-993

Hey there Yohoo, fix yourself!!

My jeep
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...highlight=1990

Comment

• red mistress
                                304 AMC
                                • Sep 13, 2007

Father son project !

I totally agree with U, the last 2 generations have totally lost the fun of hot rodding cars.

My Dad and I built my 73 Bronco and I had the coolest ride in High School.

The Chief will be a good first vehicle for him....I'd get a heavy duty front winch bumper for it.
                                The factory aluminum bumper won't even take a parking lot fender bender.
                                67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
                                69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
                                80 Honcho Sportside
                                82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
                                82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
                                83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
                                84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
                                84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
                                87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

Working...
                                X