• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WWI Flying Ace
    232 I6
    • Feb 10, 2010

What size tires for the Wagoneer?

So, I am FINALLY picking up the Wagoneer tonight?It has 32" mud king tires and a 4? lift. It is an 81 Wagoneer with a 360 and lots of goodies. I bought it about a month ago on eBay, was a nightmare getting it delivered to me from Nebraska (because of the shipping company, not the seller, seller was great). Then I took it to my mechanic for a checkup to get a clean bill of health. It is finally ready! Getting it tonight! BUT?

My mechanic said that it bounces all over at speed because of the tires, and suggested that I get other tires for summer/street/non off-road days, and keep the big mud kings for when we take it off road on purpose, or for the winter. Obviously I am a noobie at owning a big Jeep so I want to ask the experienced owners...I may do nothing?I love the way the big tires look and I am not looking for sports car handling?hell, I bought a huge Jeep with a 4? lift for a reason, and that reason ain?t ?corners like it is on rails?. Are the mud kings just that way so I should just get used to it?

Or, does anyone have any suggestions for tires that would still look ok with the lift (I am assuming that 32? is a good size still) but would be a bit less floaty on the street? I?m wondering if there is a happy medium tire available that anyone knows about? Mind you, when I say ?happy medium?, I don?t mean ?medium sized tire??but rather style?I?d like to keep the 32? size if possible, or at least stay very close to it?too small tires would be pretty silly looking on a 4? lift?but are there any suggestions for a little more street but still could be mild off road fun tires?

Thanks!
    1981 Jeep Wagoneer
    2007 Jeep Commander
    1973 AMC Javelin AMX
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
    2001 Buick Century

?I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.?
    -Jonathan Swift
  • getlost4x4
    258 I6
    • Jan 23, 2010

you probably just have some flat spots in the tires from all the time it sat in once place.

fill the tires to there maximum psi rating. take it for drive to get the tires warmed up. the flat spots should come out pretty good. i did that with the tires i have and it worked pretty good.
    www.getlost4x4.com

78' Jeep Wagoneer (Tank), Built 360, 330 Miles, QT
    360 V8 (fresh rebuild), Summit Racing 8600 cam, GM TBI Conversion (in progress), 31" tires no lift, 2.5" exhaust system,dual batteries, T-Max 9000 lbs winch, many plans empty pockets

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
      232 I6
      • Feb 10, 2010

That is a great suggestion. I'll do that tonight when I pick it up. Thanks!
      1981 Jeep Wagoneer
      2007 Jeep Commander
      1973 AMC Javelin AMX
      2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Blue & Gray
        258 I6
        • Feb 08, 2007

Mud Kings are pretty good tires, I have ran them in several different sizes on both of my jeeps over the years. They are a somewhat generic mud tire pattern that many manufacturers use, Mud King, Mud Cat, Power Cat, Mud Rover,Buck Shots, Mud Track etc, different flavors of the same tire. They all sound and act about the same on the road. If your rig is "bouncing" around on the road at speed I would be looking at something else besides tires, especially since your running only running a 32 x 11.50. That is a small tire really, your wag can handle it all day. You may want to investigate your steering dampner, if it's kaput the wag could be skating around a little, mix in some flat spots from sitting etc. How Fresh (treadwise) are the Mud Kings??

A kindler, gentler tire would be an A/T or All Terrain tire. The Brother to the Mud King is The Sport King A/T, which I run on my 97 Ram 4x4. It is a fine tire IMHO, as are B.F. Goodrich A/T's. These are less aggressive tires but can still give good on/off road service, especially compared to your average slick street meats.
        1976 J10 258/T15/D20 , Dana44's w/4.09's 31x10.50 Super Swampers BP's. HEI an otherwise stock. Runs Great. SOA/SF and 2brl soon

1976 Cherokee NT 232/SM465/NP205, Dana44's, w/3.54. 35x12.50 Mud Chain Saws, SOA/SF, HEI. MSD, 2 brl, Wag seats etc. Hard Spanked but in work now.

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
          232 I6
          • Feb 10, 2010

Hadn't thought of the steering damper. Hope it isn't that...I don't want to put more $$ into mechanicals for a bit (just had to get the rear brakes done). But will do so if it is necessary. The tires are semi-new...they look ok but the guy I bought the Jeep from said he was thinking of replacing them this summer, so they are probably not in the "keep for years" category. I'll have to get some more time behind the wheel and see. The A/T tires are a great suggestion too...if I end up replacing tires this year I'll probably go in that direction. Thanks for the suggestions!
          1981 Jeep Wagoneer
          2007 Jeep Commander
          1973 AMC Javelin AMX
          2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• ClovisMan
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 05, 2009

Originally posted by WWI Flying Ace
            Hadn't thought of the steering damper. Hope it isn't that...I don't want to put more $$ into mechanicals for a bit (just had to get the rear brakes done). But will do so if it is necessary. The tires are semi-new...they look ok but the guy I bought the Jeep from said he was thinking of replacing them this summer, so they are probably not in the "keep for years" category. I'll have to get some more time behind the wheel and see. The A/T tires are a great suggestion too...if I end up replacing tires this year I'll probably go in that direction. Thanks for the suggestions!
            Do the sterring damper yourself. They cost like $35.99 at AutoZone and it's just a few nuts and bolts. (It's basically a short shock absorber.)
            1988 Grand Wagoneer currently in pieces across the shop.

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
              232 I6
              • Feb 10, 2010

Good idea. I have a 4" lift. Is it a standard part , or is it something that might be a different part because of the 4" lift I have?
              1981 Jeep Wagoneer
              2007 Jeep Commander
              1973 AMC Javelin AMX
              2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• smartass_kid
                232 I6
                • May 04, 2006

i believe any that came with a kit might be stronger but a stock should still work. and not all kits came with new ones.

maybe order one from the company the lift kit is from?

and

and so are your other post!

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 10, 2010

Right you are...here is the Beast!

Attached Files
                  Last edited by WWI Flying Ace; 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM.
                  1981 Jeep Wagoneer
                  2007 Jeep Commander
                  1973 AMC Javelin AMX
                  2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• djongeward
                    304 AMC
                    • May 21, 2008

Ahhhh, I was wondering about the 32's on a 4" lift. Usually you can only fit 31's without rubbing. You have fender cuts. You should stay with what you have or look into some general trail/street combos. From the looks of it, you could even go bigger if you wanted.
                    89 Grandwagoneer, built 360, COMP cam set, port matched Edelbrock SP2P, 475 cfm Holley ORA, Thorleys, MSD6a, extra cooling and oiling.
                    76 Cherokee S Chief - rebuilt stock, Holley, Performer, MSD Dizzy.
                    89 GW parts waggy

Comment

• WWI Flying Ace
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 10, 2010

OK, I drove the beast today, first time I have had the chance to take it out and go somewhere...was getting the oil changed and tires rotated in the Solstice (the daily driver) and stayed home from work for a Dr appt. Went about 15 miles out and 15 miles back in the Wagoneer to the Dr...I'm keeping the tires...when it is time to replace them I'll get the ATs everyone is talking about...but for now, the mud kings don't handle that bad on the street and MAN they look GREAT!
                      Why did I wait so long to buy this Jeep? I LOVE this Jeep!
                      1981 Jeep Wagoneer
                      2007 Jeep Commander
                      1973 AMC Javelin AMX
                      2001 Buick Century

-Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Blue & Gray
                        258 I6
                        • Feb 08, 2007

The Mud Kings look good on the wag. I favor a mud tire for something that does street/offroad duty. Some brands hold up better than others and you may find yourself let down if you get used to playing (wheelin') on the M/T's then later debut a set of A/T's.

The wag itself presents a very sweet "plain brown wrapper" appeal offset by the belt line chrome. Someone has edited some sheetmetal but it looks like a decent enough cut job. Go with a Rancho steering dampner from advance/autozone, they are pretty good units. Changing it out is cake work. Somebody here probably has good waffle grill for a little bit o' nothin' if you post up. Good luck with your new ride.
                        1976 J10 258/T15/D20 , Dana44's w/4.09's 31x10.50 Super Swampers BP's. HEI an otherwise stock. Runs Great. SOA/SF and 2brl soon

1976 Cherokee NT 232/SM465/NP205, Dana44's, w/3.54. 35x12.50 Mud Chain Saws, SOA/SF, HEI. MSD, 2 brl, Wag seats etc. Hard Spanked but in work now.

Comment

Working...
                        X