X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • posulli88
    258 I6
    • Dec 18, 2016

Well I talked to Vic again today then went by and picked up a diagram from him on how to divert air downstream and still maintain the use of the Holley Sniper kit. This is what he gave me:

These are all parts from Ford vehicles in the 80's. Unfortunately The only part I can actually find is the temp switch. The diverter valve and vacuum filter do not come up on NAPA.com So again I feel like I am stuck. I get how the system works and think it can be the solve to my problems but I have no idea what parts these are...
    77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

I would imagine a diverter-valve from an 80's FSJ could serve the same purpose; it is vacuum-operated like the one in the diagram. I just don't know if it would have the upstream and downstream outlet, but come to think of it, there was an AIR pipe to the cat on my '88, so perhaps it would work?
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Bob Barry
        Jeep Doctor
        • Apr 09, 2000

Oh, and I'm in the market for a Performer intake, if you ever sell your non-EGR version...
        1987 J-20

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
          232 I6
          • Sep 08, 2019

The vacuum filter may be used to let air into the system when the temp switch is cold, to release any stored vacuum in the diverter valve. You could probably just wrap a small piece of black t-shirt cloth around the end of the valve and zip tie it in place to keep dirt from getting in with the air. That should function as a filter.

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
            232 I6
            • Sep 08, 2019

These guys are in western Pennsylvania and sell lots of old jeep parts including J10. They advertise in craigslist here in CO.

JEEPRECYCLERS.COM

You might give them a try for the diverter valve.

Comment

• posulli88
              258 I6
              • Dec 18, 2016

Almost as soon as I posted this I started looking at the later model fsj's and they do have a diverter valve that does upstream and downstream (see diagram below). So I just need to find that part. Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I will reach out to them. Bob I will definitely be selling the performer non egr intake, but probably not for another month or so. I can let you know when I do though. It is painted AMC blue ( I am really sad that I have to clutter up this engine):

Comment

• Bob Barry
                Jeep Doctor
                • Apr 09, 2000

Originally posted by posulli88
                Almost as soon as I posted this I started looking at the later model fsj's and they do have a diverter valve that does upstream and downstream (see diagram below). So I just need to find that part. Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I will reach out to them. Bob I will definitely be selling the performer non egr intake, but probably not for another month or so. I can let you know when I do though. It is painted AMC blue ( I am really sad that I have to clutter up this engine):

Glad that diverter valve will work for you; whenever on the intake, I'm not in any rush. I'll probably be pulling the engine out later this Summer, and maybe do a cam at that time, which is when it will be good to do the intake.
                1987 J-20

Comment

• posulli88
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 18, 2016

Talked to Vic today again. It's been almost impossible to find the correct diverter valve and apparently the jeep ones will not work with the O2 sensor.
                  The good news is I don't need an EGR valve to pass visual inspection. So I can keep my current intake manifold.

Here is my plan Install two cats one for each side of the exhaust. Install smog pump system with original diverter valve that only pumps to exhaust manifolds (need to find that valve). Run the sniper in open loop, non learning for the test. Hope I pass and then deal with smog pump after test... I am also looking into collector plates which would mean I would only need to take the test every 5 years. Could be an expensive plate though

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 08, 2019

It may be possible to avoid smog testing if you get a commercial 5 year plate. We did that for my wife's large truck at her work. It would not pass smog and we got the 5 year plate. It costs about $500 for the 5 years. Her truck is a 1972. Yours may not fall into the allowed year range (yours may be too new) for this registration. There was no initial emission test for this plate. This is for commercial only, you might need a corporation to do this.

If you can find someone in Colorado Springs to let you do a regular registration at that address, then you would not need emissions. I wonder if you could get a Post Office box in Colorado Springs and use that for the registration.

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

I would suggest just installing whatever is needed to make it look the part.

I know folks in CO that have passed with inoperable smog pump air systems.
                      Even in CA they don't test the smog pump is working just that it and related bits are all installed.

Luckily with GM TBI all that useless crap can be removed.
                      Maybe have someone whip up a custom Sniper TB plate that says Howell and hand them the CARB EO# printout LMAO
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• elskeptico
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 03, 2003

I came across this diverter valve on ebay and remembered this thread. Not sure if this is the valve you're looking for but maybe?

1979 Cherokee Chief S, 360, TFI, Part-time conversion, rust

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.

Comment

• posulli88
                          258 I6
                          • Dec 18, 2016

Hey elskeptico thanks for posting this. Unfortunately that is the 6 cylinder diverter valve as it only has 1 outlet port. I need the 1 with two. I check Ebay every day ahah. I think I have found one though.

Just bought a NOS smog pump for $89 off of Ebay so I am slowly collecting the parts needing. I also talked to the guys at Jeep Heritage and they have been incredibly helpful. I bought smog pump brackets and ceramic coated manifolds from them and they are sending me one version of the old diverter valve.

I have my original manifolds but they are pretty beat up and all the quotes I have gotten for ceramic coating here in Denver are more expensive then the $300 Jeep Heritage charges for the set that is already coated. I figured if I am going to replace my nice long tube headers I at least want my manifolds to look good haha.

All the other little parts I can buy at BJ's or TGW.

Comment

• elskeptico
                            350 Buick
                            • Sep 03, 2003

Hey, is this what you need? I have it, don't know if it works...
                            1979 Cherokee Chief S, 360, TFI, Part-time conversion, rust

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.

Comment

• posulli88
                              258 I6
                              • Dec 18, 2016

Hey elskeptico. Yes that was the diverter valve I thought i needed after talking to the emissions expert here, but I might be able to get away with using the original diverter valve (That I still don't have haha) that only sends air to the manifolds. I should find out in a month or so as I am still rounding up parts and we don't move into our home with a garage until July 1st. I might reach out to you about purchasing that valve if I need it. Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X