• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maybeadinosaur
    232 I6
    • Jul 29, 2015

Shock suggestions?

Hey GW team!

I need to replace my 88 GW shocks, steering stabilizer and possibly springs. I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

* stock height, no lift
    * 90% city/highway driving
    * 10% light offroading, rare towing

I've looked at Rancho, Gabriel, Napa brand and a few others.
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

Bilstein or KYB make good higher end shocks. I really like the Monroe Gas Magnums (the yellow ones) for an economic solution for a DD.

BJ's Off-Road sells new stock height springs.
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• maybeadinosaur
      232 I6
      • Jul 29, 2015

Thanks. I heard good things about Bilstein also. I've seen the Monroe's you've mentioned but, as silly as it sounds, I was trying to avoid a brightly colored shock, just because I'm a fan if the factory look on my girl may have to reconsider, though!

Comment

• asudchiman
        327 Rambler
        • Feb 03, 2016

BILSTEIN

The Bilstein shocks are fantastic! Jeep hugs the road and is really smooth on the highway.
        Current Jeep Fleet:
        1993 Wrangler Sahara (YJ) Stock, 52k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Black] 4" Lift, 32's, 92k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Stock, 60k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Restored (for sale)
        ------------------------------------------------
        Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Bilsteins are indeed excellent shocks...but expensive. Monroe Magnums are also very good shocks at a much more reasonable buy-in. I run'em and like'm. Assuming for DD use even new OEM (likely Gabrels) will ride better than old worn shocks, they just don't last as long as better shocks. Screw the colors. Nothing a 5 dollar rattle can can't fix.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

I have KYB "Gas-a-Just" shocks on mine. They're not an adjustable shock, that's just KYB's fancy name a high pressure gas monotube shock. Because they're high pressure gas, they will give you roughly an inch of lift over stock. It takes more than my whole body weight to compress one of them.

They ride stiff, but smooth and not harsh. I can tell you they're smoother than Rancho RS5000's. There is zero float or wallow in the suspension after hitting a bump, but the bump is absorbed well. There is less body lean on corners. Because they're a monotube, they will retain their damping ability under harsh conditions that would cause a twin tube to overheat, such as driving quickly down a rough road. Their only weakness is if something dents them, but they're pretty robust.

They're nice shocks. Price isn't bad either. I think I paid $55 apiece.

A softer alternative would be KYB "Accel-G" shocks. They're a low pressure gas twin tube shock running around $30 apiece. These will be very close to the stock shocks.

I've tried Monroe-matics and Monroe Sensa-tracks, and found they were too soft and didn't last very long.
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• JeepJeepster
              350 Buick
              • Sep 04, 2014

Ive got the bilstein 4600 shocks on my ZJ and they ride ok. The Jeep really hugs the road and it rides nice on good roads. The shocks do not take sudden bumps and things very well though, it can get pretty rough on bad roads. The shocks are made for handling so it makes sense. 'Tested on the Nurburgring'

Someone once said that with bilstein shocks you can run over a dime and tell if it was heads or tails...
              2004 Jeep Liberty
              1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
              1994 Jeep ZJ I6
              1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• acct21
                327 Rambler
                • May 20, 2014

Bilstein 5125s in the front, Monroe Max-Air adjustable shocks in the rear. The Bilsteins -- as mentioned before -- are stiff on bumps but handle like butter. The rear adjustable shocks are nice when you're loading the back with people/gear. Keeps everything nice and level.
                1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Gadzooks2
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 19, 2006

I always recommend adjustable shocks either Rancho Rs9000 or ProComp MX6. The thing about shocks is one size does not fit all by any means and non-adjustable shocks mean if you don't like the ride on the road or on the trail or in the desert too bad, deal with it. The lower cost adjustables I mentioned work remarkably well. With either 6 or 9 different positions to choose from you can always find a setting that's really good. Shocks make more difference in the ride than any other component IMHO. The shocks on my Jeep are nearly $1,000 a piece and the Rancho's or ProComps are only about $100 ea. and quite a bargain at that.
                  78' J-9, 96' XJ

Comment

• maybeadinosaur
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 29, 2015

Thanks for the input guys. I've never used adjustable and not familiar with how they worl so I'll do some more research. I'm actually more interested in the bump handling than the heavy curve handling

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by maybeadinosaur
                      Thanks for the input guys. I've never used adjustable and not familiar with how they worl so I'll do some more research. I'm actually more interested in the bump handling than the heavy curve handling
                      Keep in mind it's the springs that smooth the bumps not the shocks. All the shocks do is help keep the spring rebound to a decent level so you ain't pogo sticking down the road.
                      joe
                      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• bufurd
                        327 Rambler
                        • Apr 13, 2008

Bilsteins is what I run on all my J trucks, they're amazing. I'm sure there is others that work, but after I bolted on first set I was hooked. Too stiff of shock will allow for little bump absorption, unless you go airborn often, seen it too many times.
                        Current fleet
                        Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
                        Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
                        Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
                        Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
                        07 JK Wife bought new...
                        13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• ShagWagon
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 10, 2016

How are the skyjacker hydro shocks that come with the 4" kits?

Anyone have any experience with those?
                          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• dbabicky
                            258 I6
                            • Dec 31, 2011

Originally posted by ShagWagon
                            How are the skyjacker hydro shocks that come with the 4" kits?

Anyone have any experience with those?
                            Yes, they are stiff riding, but I don't mind the "Truck" ride, so, it's up to you.
                            1975 J-10,360,TH400,QT,
                            1998 Wrangler,TJ,4.0L,5spd
                            2000 Chevy K3500,454 Auto
                            2009 GMC Canyon,3.7,Auto, 2.5" lift/leveling kit
                            all with a looney DAV behind the wheel.
                            "Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"

Comment

• 87briarwood
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 09, 2015

I had tried getting Bilsteins but they were not available when i made my shock upgrade.

Wound up going with RS7000 up front and RS9000 in the back.

Like the ride but it may be a bit harsh for some. Use the RS9000 on the softest setting when empty in the back.

JB

Comment

Working...
                              X